What exactly IS Fixed Axle/Modern Responsive?

I’ve been hearing a lot about fixed axle and modern responsive, and even seen quite a few Yoyos for them, but I have absolutely no clue what it is! I’ve tried checking on here for existing threads, but it didn’t help at all. Can any of y’all help me? In addition to that, any recommendations for beginners of those styles?

4 Likes

Fixed axle is a style of play that uses a yo-yo with a solid axle instead of a bearing. Fixed axle is the original yo-yo. Modern responsive yo-yos are basically the evolution of the original. Often using a bearing to drastically increase spin time. The responsive part means the yo-yo returns with a tug as opposed to unresponsive yo-yos that will not return with a tug but instead require a trick called a bind in order to get them to return.

5 Likes

Ah, I was assuming that Modern Respinsive would be like, entirely different.

4 Likes

A cheap amazing modern responsive I recommend is the origen

4 Likes

Good Ole Duncan Butterfly is a fixed axel.

Fixed Axel play is reffered to as 0A

Unresponsive play is typically reffered to as 1A.

Modern Responsive Yoyos are between these two. They can be metal yoyos with bearings but have a narrower gap, typicall higher walls and perform 0A tricks well.

This can be confusing as some “Responsive” yoyos are shaped like 1A yoyos. These are typically reffered to as beginner yoyos with the goal to move unresponsive as the player progresses.

Have fun.

4 Likes

Adding to the confusion as well is, I think some use the term modern responsive in regards to the play style and I’m pretty sure it’s just referring to the yo-yos themselves.

2 Likes

Here is a Thread on it, but in a nutshell its Old Yoyos(Dogs) doing New Tricks

8 Likes

Or new yoyos doing old tricks. Or new yoyos setup responsive coming up with new tricks in an old/mid school mindset.

2 Likes

My 0A “manifesto” from a few years ago lol.
It’s a yoyo style and a mindset. <3

12 Likes

Thanks for sharing that!

I love “i’ve just got no a’s to give.”

Have fun.

4 Likes