What else effects a string?

I’ve been practicing like mad for the past few weeks and have been wondering about one little annoyance. My Velocity is still set to a fairly responsive setting and yet at some points of the day the string reacts differently. I don’t know if it’s just a coincidence in my practice pattern but it seems like every morning I do a few throws the thing is down right unresponsive and will not come back up the string without a significant tug and yet around the afternoon the thing comes back up with only the slightest tug almost to the point of being too responsive. Is the string or friction pads effected by temperature, or by repeated use do they somehow “warm-up” or stretch?

Also while watching several of the more advanced tutorials I notice that sometimes he needs to bind to return his yoyo and other times he just does a basic gravity pull. How can you do a gravity pull with an unresponsive yoyo without binding? Also how can you hand start an unresponsive yoyo without binding the string?

I was yoyoing outside in the cold and it was more responsive, so I’m not sure on the warming up thing.

the dark magic in the tutorials here have an adjustable gap so it can be responsive

You can’t make an unresponsive yo-yo go back up.

It is most likely just your technique.

Andre plays his Dark Magic responsive. When he does a bind it is because the yoyo is spinning slowly or it is a natural motion.

Really? That is actually very good to know. So far I’ve been basing my own throw on the assumption that his was unresponsive, but if he also uses it responsive then it really means I just need work on my throw even more.

Actually Andre discusses in one of his tutorials that he plays responsive when doing the beginner/intermediate tutorials and then plays unresponsive for advanced and above.

I also heard humidity will effect the string, generally if the string is cotton or polly. Nylon not so much.

1 Like

yes the moister the string is and the colder it is seem to effect my play. and today my yoyo was somewhat responsive sometimes when i had good string tention but then other times it was fine. (it rained in LA today)

It has been pouring down rain the past 3 days so that might explain it, the longer I use it it seems to get easier. I’ll have to observe it more closely when this storm passes some time next week at this rate.

Anyone know which strings are made out of nylon? {or just plain good working in the humidity?}

2 Likes
2 Likes

You definitely wanna try Markmont Formulas Copi

2 Likes