What did you get in the mail this week (2013-2018)

Eagerly awaiting full feedback when a week passes!!!

3 Likes

That’s a score for sure
Those will make a mediocre throw into amazing.

7 Likes

How are they? I am LOVING my new Kitty String Fat and Monkey Vines Phat! It’s like I have all new yoyos!

6 Likes

It’s crazy huh? Strings really make a noticeable difference

6 Likes

When will Smiley Strings be for sale? Those babies rock!

5 Likes

I’m working on getting consistent with production quantities, and colors. I’ll get there eventually :wink:

9 Likes

Yeah fat strings and responsive (slim bearing) is… not… a good combo :wink:

7 Likes

I actually love a slim bearing yoyo with thick string. It makes its responsiveness a bit more consistent.

3 Likes

I had a large c in both but the whip and one have that narrower gap.

3 Likes

For me the heartstrings were a game changer. I had just stumbled on zip line when Dustin sent a few strings with a bst deal.
It made me start working on making my own. He was kind enough to point me in the right direction.
It still took a bunch of trial and error and time , but I make mine pretty much a copy of the heartstrings.
I can blend it narrow for my older gen yo that had been snaggy on other strings.
I love the slippery nylon when sliding my finger down the string. But for me I really love how it whips. An entirely different speed than poly.

I thought about possibly making them to sell, but I wouldn’t feel right being a copy of his strings. Karma goes a long way.

12 Likes

There are certain recipes and formulas that work and work well within their own constraints. There’s always a possibility that someone can come up with a formula that is a true game-changer. Yes, with enough experience, I believe that a blindfolded person could tell the difference between different strings. Someone with little experience and exposure to different strings probably wouldn’t be able to tell much of a difference, except between maybe a pure wooly nylon string and a kitty fat. Those two materials feel radically different from one another.

How about a semi relevant metaphor? It’s just like any hobby or sport. Road biking for example. Someone just starting that hobby might be able to tell the difference between a $50 bike and an $800 bike. But would a beginner really be able to feel the difference between an $800 bike and a $5,000 bike? Probably not. A beginner wouldn’t have enough of a familiarity with the equipment to know if it was actually hindering their performance or progression. They might be able to feel the difference between the $800 bike and the $5,000 bike, but they probably wouldn’t be able to pinpoint exactly what that difference was.

Yo-Yo strings are kind of the same way. Now, as far as marketing strings that are similar if not virtually the same as someone else’s reputable strings, it can get a little bit more touchy because this is already such a niche market. People who make yoyo strings, especially in Boutique quantities, don’t really see huge profit margins if any at all. It’s more of a passion thing. So plagiarizing someone else’s recipe could potentially be detrimental to the other dedicated string makers. But, it could be okay if communication is right. It’s a complex issue

4 Likes

Exactly the point about copying another string recipe. Of course it could be close and have slight variation to not be a copy, but for me I was looking to make that exact string because it felt like the holy grail to me.

Yes string making in itself opens up so many different ideas and styles and helps someone understand more of what works best for them .
For me personally it was a very fun project. I literally spent probably 40 hours figuring out what works for me. I ultimately may not be 100% heartstring but close enough to what I felt from that first string I tried.
I’m still trying slightly different combinations for the heck of it and that keeps it fun.

Probably better if I spent that time learning new tricks, but as long as it’s fun that’s the key.

5 Likes

Mowl Surveillance in the new green w/ blue rings colorway:

Matches my M+:

9 Likes

Yesterday I received a Quail, a Grail, and a 420-Light. These are a Christmas, Birthday, Retirement, all of which takes place in December, gift to myself. Now to open them up put a little yoyojam thin lube on the bearings and parttay

photo P1000438_zpsuuahbzbr.jpg

11 Likes

That 'pie looks mad wide. I’d look up the specs but out of respect for laziness I’ll ask you kindly. :wink:

2 Likes

The Magpie is on the wide side at 46.5mm, but its wideness is exaggerated in that photo, no doubt due to putting the camera up so close to it.

In order to avoid such distortion, I photograph my yoyos at a bit of a distance and zoom in. This helps keep proportions correct in close-ups. Photography 101, folks.

3 Likes

Those are the cutest green triplets I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Triplets?

2 Likes

Ahhh I see. I recently got a Marco and didnt think the Magpie was quite as wide. Pics can be deceiving…

1 Like

Sorry twins

1 Like