What are you doing today?

Oh yeah! Totally made my dad take me to a lego place too! Got to go through thousands of pieces to make my own mini figure!
Bet ya’ll can’t guess what colors I went with!!

Maybe it's pink!?

NOPE!
It’s green!!
:green_heart:

3 Likes

Those LEGO stores are awesome. Do you have the side effects for them to ride on?

2 Likes

Lolwut we need pics of this!!!

3 Likes

Sadly I don’t know if any exist. Camera phones weren’t a thing yet. I’ll ask the fella that was my partner in the store to see if he has any.

I know I have video though. Jon Racherbaumer did a magic session at the store. Quite a few famous (in the magic world) magicians there. Ron Bauer, Milton Kort… there were more but those two come to mind.

7 Likes

Hi LJ! Unfortunately photos of any kind aren’t allowed inside the Magic Castle… I did take a photo of our day’s program and a couple photos of the outside:

It was a super fun and impressive visit. TBH, I wasn’t sure what to expect… And I had my doubts about how a ~250 person event would fare at a magic show, but it was amazing.

The castle was bigger than I expected and set up in such a way that you weren’t quite sure what floor you were on or where you were supposed to go. It was crowded with our party, but crowded in a good way. The place was kitschy, with lots of magician history, memorabilia, paintings, props, houdini’s actual letters, etc hung all over the walls and in display cabinets. Apparently there have been a couple of magician’s deaths that happened in the castle which is of course tragic but adds to the lore.

Of course the most amazing part were the shows. There were four ‘theaters’ hosting shows continuously (you can see who was performing in the photo of the program)… And then there were ‘strolling magicians’ who were giving adhoc performances in little nooks and crannies throughout the castle.

Having watched magicians on television (America’s got talent and the like), it’s a different experience seeing it up close. I was completely confounded by the tricks performed. Siegfried Tieber in particular was amazing. He would have someone from the audience call out heads/tails coin tosses and then land them the right side up each time. Another time he had the audience mix up a rubicks cube and then literally solved it to the exact same 6 sides on another cube. Then there were all of the sleight of hand close up stuff, pulling cards from sealed envelopes in locked boxes that matched audience cards, making cards change colors, keep appearing in different places. It sounds meh when typed up; in person sitting a few feet away it was mind blowing.

Jeki Yoo (who you can look up on YouTube, AGT) was great. His act was just like on the show but in person. Mike Pisciotta was also outstanding.

It also had a very different feel than the big Vegas shows. More intimate and frankly much more impressive because you felt like you were part of the act.

Highly recommended.

Oh I also picked up a pack of cards from the gift shop.

11 Likes

Yea I was afraid they may not allow pics. Sounds like it was a blast Jason. It’s one thing I’d really like to do one day. I’m sure there is lots of Dai Vernon memorabilia that I’d love to see in person. He was the original resident magician of the Castle and remained so until his death I believe. He was in his late 90’s when he passed. One of the greatest magicians that ever lived.

5 Likes

Dude, that’s so amazing!

That’s crazy! :flushed:

Thanks for sharing! Really cool that you got to do this!!

3 Likes

All this hubbub about a super exciting trip to the Magic Castle (super jeally), and all I get to do today is go to the dentist.

3 Likes

OH WOW! That’s so awesome @adamantiumpops!!! That sounds so exciting! I hope you have an amazing time and I can’t wait for you to come back and tell us all the details!!!

:stuck_out_tongue:
I hate dentist! :frowning:

2 Likes

haha no…not yet! I will though eventually :D.

Took my dad to a museum that had a bunch of war planes and war memorabilia from WWI and up.
Spent $10 on his admission and he spent about 15 minutes there before he was done (he’s the one that wanted to go). It annoyed me. He went and sat out in the car.
I took well over an hour (closer to 2 I think. Wasn’t paying attention to the time). I went through every display they had and slowly inspected every plane and vehicle. It was pretty neat.

…am I coming and bragging about all the stuff I’ve been doing here in this thread too much? haha I’m afraid I might be annoying people >.<'.
I’m just on a trip visiting my dad. I live in a small town and don’t get to do these kinds of things there so I’m trying to cram a bunch of things in while I can.

3 Likes

Since it’s technically the next day where I’m at, I’m going to give two weeks notice for my second job today. I just can’t do it anymore, the agency I work for does not give adequate compensation for the job I do, and it doesn’t compensate me for gas/mileage or other expenses I might incur on the job. I’m limited to doing the same stuff with my client over and over because the agency won’t pay for anything like movie tickets or board games or any type of entertainment that requires payment.

I’m just burnt out and if my client wasn’t autistic it would be super obvious to them. Their mom can definitely tell.

As a bonus I’ll be able to spend more time with my dogs and focus more on some organizational elements of my life that have been getting neglected.

5 Likes

@Durfee Sorry to hear man :(.
Are you by chance a respite care provider? Sounds like what my mom and dad did and something I’m looking to possibly get into myself.
Our state is pretty dang good though with this stuff.

1 Like

Thanks dude. And I am a respite worker for my second job. i was a direct support provider which comes with a little more responsibilities and a higher pay grade but my client’s insurance company would not provide for that any longer. I chose to continue working with him anyway after I got my library job and dropped my other clients because I enjoyed hanging out with him so much, but it’s not super beneficial to me financially. Now that my car will be payed off in the next couple months I don’t really need the small amount of extra income.

The work can be either incredibly rewarding or frustrating depending on which clients you get matched with and whether or not your personal skill set works with them. Until he left I had a great supervisor who made good matches for me. But a lot of the issues these kids/adults have are completely a result of inadequate parenting and you can only do so much if they aren’t trying when you’re not around.

Also a lot of them have extreme issues with hygiene that revolve around not using the bathroom properly. I only had one client like that because I had a great supervisor. Let’s just say his parents never went into the bathroom with him to show him how to clean up properly after a number 2, and he never learned not to hold in flatulence that could turn into a bowel movement. He always had three outfits on hand to change into and often that wasn’t enough z

6 Likes

Yeah my dad worked with 2 kids with autism and the younger also had cerebral palsy. I say kids even though the oldest was 20’ish and the younger was 12’ish.
I love those kids. They’ve become brothers to me.
They also had some of the same troubles as you’ve described. It was really frustrating because no one was on the same page. So my parents were trying to work with them to use the bathroom better and to make sure they cleaned themselves…but then other people working with them wouldn’t follow through with the same thing.
We liked to take the boys on drives and day trips too…but it was really tough because they wouldn’t warn us when they needed to use the bathroom and it’s really hard to help clean them up in public bathrooms :frowning: .

But dang…my state and town pay VERY well. My dad was making almost $25 an hour to watch the 2 boys.
He also went to a lady’s house to provide some help there for awhile and was making good money.

I really do need to jump on this opportunity. I always was better at this stuff than my dad was. And since my mom passed and my dad moved the boys haven’t had a provider (their grandma is VERY picky on who she lets help). I’m about 95% sure I could get these 2 boys…I love their grandma and she’s let me take the boys out many times over the years without my parents.
I was actually in the process of filling out the mountain sized stack of paperwork to get on. But my mom passed and…yeah.

Sorry for talking your ear off.
That sucks that the pay isn’t better for you :(. It’s really a lot of work (though it can be SO rewarding like you’ve said when you’re working with people you match well with)…and it takes a ton of patience. I don’t know about the person you work with…but the 2 I’m talking about here had just 1 gear. Go!! lol…and it was constant. I love the kids to death, but sometimes they get so intense.

4 Likes

Oh! And also…

WooHoo!!
That means your yoing budget is about to get a whole lot bigger!!
haha :smiley:

3 Likes

Not at all, I appreciate it.

3 Likes

I went home sick from work today and got into bed to sleep it off, only to get a call within 15 minutes that my wife had a flat tyre and I needed to drag myself out of bed to drive to her and change it. Not a nice thing to have to do when you can hardly move and feel half-dead.

My phone is so Yo. When I typed in ‘half-dead’ just then, it insisted on correcting it to ‘half-spec’. :metal:

9 Likes

Get well soon Glen! This will give the the time you need to teach your phone to auto correct the spelling of ‘tire’ too! :wink:

4 Likes

Haha. It’s spelled ‘tyre’ in Straya.

4 Likes

Australians are the coolest!

3 Likes