What about this old school trick contest idea?

I’m thinking of a trick based contest… who can recreate the most of these old-school tricks into one routine (in any order?)

I am ruling out any 2a or offstring tricks

Name Creator
whipper snapper Jason Olier
the knit Taylor Whitley
wild thing Dave Schulte
worm hole John Gates
washing machine Doc Pop
milan’s twist Milan Brewer
behind the back rollercoaster Chris Neff
double pulley Paul Escolar
flamboyance John Huber
regenerate trapeze Dale Oliver
einstein baby David Keele
seasick Gary Longoria
the zipper Marc McBride
johnny around the corner Cliff Coleman
ambri ?
black hole ?
tape measure ?
van gogh ?
hyper pinwheel David Capurro
eli hops ?
u-turn Michael Sonnefeldt
mach-5 Joel Zink
olier ?
lactose intolerant ?
valuable twister ?
texas cowboy Doc Pop
cinco de nada ?
kawada’s world ?
bucket of clay Clay Murray
swiss alps ?
the flower John Higby
french alps Jason Tracy
bangkok express Nevin Dechsi
backchaser Kenneth Cairns
thumbsplitter ?
super bounce ?
atomic hip-hop ?
morpheus baby ?
double twist ?
matrix Doc Pop
back pass stalls ?
meltdown ?
mcbride rollercoaster ?
dunk shot ?
atomic fakey ?
slinky ?
the grind ?
resurrection ?
split the cradle Mark Vargas
electro cyclone ?
trampoline Sean Curran
gnip gnop
twisty trapeze Nick Williams
16 Likes

This video is my new source of inspiration

5 Likes

so siqqqqqq

1 Like

Is this like an official contest?

2 Likes

We’re discussing this at the moment.

1 Like

I think it would be a good contest, but the yo-yos gotta be responsive like in the video

6 Likes

I agree, use what was current at the time. In some cases the trick requires that in any event. And you need to end the trick with the fly back return…

2 Likes

Definitely a fly back return haha, if anything everyone’s gonna get super honed with the narrow catch zones and low spin times!

2 Likes

I think requiring responsive would make it too hard. I just want to see people do ancient tricks that everyone has forgotten about… and a bunch of them :wink:

4 Likes

Some other thoughts on rules

• You get max 2 minutes to do as many of these tricks as possible (is that short enough? I don’t want everyone to have to watch really loooong videos)
  • You must call out the name of the trick you’re doing as you do it
  • Trick has to be recognizable as the one in the source video
  • :cool: Style points awarded at my discretion so make it FLASHY :dancer:
  • Nobody will be penalized for not getting a trick perfect, also nobody will get extra points for making a trick exactly perfect, just get it in the ballpark of the original so it’s recognizable (and call it out, of course).

This is more of a “for fun” thing than showing off how Worlds you can perform, to be clear, I don’t want it to be stressful.

6 Likes

Well lots of those tricks will actually be much harder without a responsive yoyo. Fly away dismount for example needs to have response.

That being said, very cool contest idea.

8 Likes

We could remove any of the tricks that absolutely require responsive… there’s quite a few in the list. I already removed several that looked like looping 2A or offstring tricks to me?

(also couldn’t you replace the return with a bind of your choice in most cases?)

I’d have to watch it again to see. There are more for sure though. Tape measure for example. (Which is a really really cool trick)

Maybe leave the whole list intact and let people use their discretion as to what kind of yoyo to use? I’d make them use the same yoyo for the whole thing though, any advantages you get doing the matrix, for example, with an unresponsive yoyo will be negated when can’t do something that requires a response.

2 Likes

What is gnip gnop?
Ping pong trick?

Dude this is THE video that got me into throwing, I wish it was available on DVD. I know I’ve mentioned this before already but it really was huge to me. As a kid I already stoked about the demonstration, coming home all excited and happy with my renegade, but man when I popped that VHS tape in the VCR it blew me away. Seeing guys like Steve brown and Doc Pop for first time, and their style, I mean that’s a wrap, I went from just excited to learn some basic tricks to I’m all in! :star_struck:

5 Likes

Some of these tricks require a responsive yoyo. To eliminate them dilutes the spirit of it all.

12 Likes

I also think they should be responsive, but if more people will participate and learn some of these rad tricks unresponsive, that’s cool too, I’ll just make my entry responsive!

6 Likes

Am I seeing this correctly? With the Washing Machine trick, doc actually takes the yoyo off the string, does the trick, and bounces it back into the string? Meaning that it is not an offstring trick? Holy crap.

Im also curious if each highlighted trick and player was invented by them or was just a showcase of the trick?

5 Likes

Yep! doc pop invented a lot of really interesting/unconventional tricks.

5 Likes

That’s one of the most creative tricks ive ever seen. Id never be able to get the string off though, and on a responsive yoyo? Sick.

1 Like