What about this old school trick contest idea?

Benny McPhee :rofl:

Gotta be responsive yo-yos for this, in my opinion.

It’s 100% less interesting to me if unresponsive is allowed.

4 Likes

I’ll need to come up with a fully annotated video with timestamps to all the tricks. Probably going to go ahead with this, prizes will be yo-yos of course…

Three sets of prizes

Plus a YYE gift cert, $25 for third, $50 for second, and $100 for first.

13 Likes

Wow! Those are great prize packs!

3 Likes

So fun! And my tricks are ancient woo yeah!

3 Likes

cracks knuckles in anticipation

3 Likes

Thinking about this, maybe 2 minutes is too long.
Most of this tricks are very short and 2 minutes of yoyo content is actually a lot to watch (think every regional contest ever, freestyles are 2 minutes on those).

1 Minute would be ideal. It reminds me of the F.A.S.T challenge from way back. People blasted through those tricks in no time.

Edit: Here’s a video for the curious! Actually watching someone blast the FAST Challenge is way too amusing lol. It starts @ 1:08.

And here’s a video of YYE’s best boi Eric Koloski explaining the challenge for those who don’t know it.

4 Likes

Are you just going to splice together your segments from the original video? Do you still have that shirt? Can you get me Rick Wyatt’s autograph?? Also I cut my thumb trying to open a pistachio yesterday, could you stand in for me on the video?

1 Like

Yeah good feedback, I want to hash out the details here before launching the contest so we can do it right!

I am pretty sure this will move forward so feel free to start practicing anyone who is interested

2 Likes

I’ve gone through the video again and added timestamps to the first post, and double-checked all the tricks to make sure all of them are 1A. I count 52 tricks?

I’ll make the timestamps links to the specific time in the video, tomorrow.

2 Likes

Let me see. I know I’ve still got a Cherry Bomb around here someplace…

OK! all the tricks are now linked to the correct time in the video for your clicking and tapping pleasures.

(Click or tap the topic title ↑ ↑ ↑ to jump to the top post.)

Keep training, folks! It’s coming!

3 Likes

Wow! That’s really handy to learn these @codinghorror. And “McBride roller coaster” creator is Dennis McBride (he’s the guy demoing it).

3 Likes

Thank you for doing that!

2 Likes

NEW PRIZE!

Any winning routine that includes the trick “Washing Machine” will, in addition to the other prizes, get this Weekender signed by @docpop!!

So make sure your routine includes that (rather far ahead of its time, if you look at how it works) trick if you want to earn this throw … keep practicing, the contest is coming! :wink:

9 Likes

Can’t wait for this.

3 Likes

I went ahead and packed up the prizes so they’re ready to mail out, eventually.

TopYo Stealth, YYO Yacare, TopYo Impulse

YYJ Eneme, One Drop Dang 2, YYF Magpie

TopYo Colossus, CLYW Gnarwhal 2, YYWS Halyard 2

Plus a YYE gift cert, $25 for third, $50 for second, and $100 for first.

I’m not quite sure which older CLYW models those are, above, so any help identifying them would be appreciated

4 Likes

When do we need to submit our videos by? And did you decide on video length? And does it have to be all a single take?

I’m just laying the groundwork at the moment, once the Ti-Vayders all start shipping I should be clear to launch the contest.

1 Like