Weird Yoyo Habits

Elaborate on the math trade at your leisure, my coffee hasn’t kicked in

Once upon a time, all 4A yoyos were just 1A yoyos.

4 Likes

every now and then I put the string loop over both my middle finger and 4th finger behind the joint. a bit like how Charles Haycock has his. Its weird to get used to at first but its becomes so comfortable.

1 Like

Never ever had a single failure in my 3 years of throwing, so I’m just going to continue doing it. Feels better on my fingers too. I guess this might count as another weird habit of mine.

5 Likes

Normal trades are between two people each trading something to the other in return for something they want that is of a perceived equal value. This works fine, but has limitations in practice because not everyone that has something you want is willing to trade it for something you have.

Math trades try to sidestep this limitation by allowing the creation of trade loops where anyone involved is trading something they have for something they want more, but it does not depend on finding a single other individual that both wants what you have and has what you want.

For example:
Alice has a Super G she doesn’t play anymore.
Bob has a Shutter WA he doesn’t like.
Carol has a Windrunner she doesn’t need.

If Alice wants the Shutter, but Bob isn’t interested in the Super G, a typical 1:1 trade is not possible. However, if we can identify that Alice is willing to trade the Super G to get the Shutter WA and if Bob is willing to trade the Shutter WA to get a Windrunner and if Carol is willing to trade away the Windrunner to get a Super G, then we could create a loop where everyone trades away something in order to get something they want more by sending their one yoyo to someone else and everyone ends up getting something they wanted.

A math trade is just a system that helps facilitate this type of N-way trade, using a program called TradeMaximizer.

5 Likes

Makes sense, thank you for explaining. I personally wouldn’t want to do it unless I had already made trades with the other two parties because all it would take is one party not to ship to cause some serious headaches between the three.

I somehow get lucky more times than not with individuals being super interested in throws of mine that I genuinely do not care for. This in turn leads to me turning my undesirables into yoyos I’ve been hunting or that keep their value like a Toyota Corolla or yoyos that continue to rise in value over time (Bitcoin yoyos.)

my premium high quality yo-yos are ALWAYS in a padded case :joy:

2 Likes

My habit: wife starts talking, I pick up a yoyo and start playing. Wife stops talking.

Problem solved. :clap:

13 Likes

Beautiful

1 Like

If thats weird, I do it too. Figured it was normal lol

4 Likes

Literally that is my everyday. My wife actually asked if I loved my yoyos more than her… I replied, “a man has trouble standing without both of his legs… I need both you and yoyos to stand on.”

(FYI - never stand on your yoyos…)

7 Likes

I am right-handed, but I threw left-handed all summer of 2020 after I fell and broke my right wrist. I had just started throwing again after a 25-year hiatus. Three months later the bigger challenge was re-learning everything right-handed.

7 Likes

I use to put ultra bright tooth paste on my yo-yos to make them shiny the following day.

I even left some on a yo-yo for months and it stayed shiny till this day. Looks better then when I first got it.

Probably ruined it though in terms of tricks?? Don’t know but it looks good.

2 Likes

This is not weird.

Because i do the same thing.

:grin:

kgb

3 Likes

Lol

I have a small baggie of them. The likelihood that i will ever put them back on is near 0. Yet, i keep them.

kgb

4 Likes

I’ve never deshielded a bearing or used the drop of lube on a pin head method. I carefully put a drop or two of lube right on the shield (if it has a shield) and let it sink in. I pat the bearing with a piece of paper towel or dry cloth and I’m all set. Never had a problem.

6 Likes

Question:

Do you guys feel guilty when you realize you haven’t thrown a specific yoyo in your collection in awhile, or is that just me? :rofl:

I just noticed I haven’t picked up my Sugar in over a month, and felt so bad… like I was neglecting it. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

Picture please! I can’t get what you mean.

Some of these are weird.

In addition to my earlier habit, here’s a more recent one: I like using longer strings these days but it’s hard to get just right… so I tie a knot to make the finger loop and test-throw for a bit (with the extra loose and swinging around). Then if it’s not quite right, I can untie the knot that made the finger loop (hopefully) and then tie a new finger loop so the string is longer or shorter as needed. Once it’s right, I cut the extra off and then throw “for reals.” It’s so much more comfy not to have that loose extra hanging, but I miss the whipping sounds it makes so much that more than a few times I’ve considered leaving it.

2 Likes

If you’re talking about a pic of the extra knot, I do that as well for some odd reason… always have.

3 Likes

Before putting my yoyo on the shelf, I have to do a horizontal bind. It doesn’t feel right if I do a front or side style bind.

4 Likes