Weird Request? Looking for ABS throws in particular…

So, I’ve tried a lot of materials for throws, and there’s a bunch I like, but I find that I just really like to carry and chuck around inexpensive durable materials (and I like the challenge of trying to make them do cool stuff that maybe some folks would just assume the cheapies couldn’t pull off). I have a pen in my EDC kit that’s this German made brick shithouse made of ABS plastic, and I was thinking maybe I could find a throw made of ABS (preferably an unresponsive one). Unfortunately, although I’m running searches on the ol’ interwebs for “ABS” yoyos, it brings up results that group that material together with other plastics (“polycarbonate/ABS/PC”), and I have no idea which, if any, of the results are ABS as opposed to PC (I’ve got plenty of PC already).

So, I reach out to you, O’ knowledgeable YYE community: any recommendations as to ABS unresponsive throws…?

Thanks so much, and have a good one!

I found this searching for “Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene yo-yo”:

Yo-yo Materials | YoYo Wiki | Fandom.

Then searching for “ABS” on the same site yielded:

Other than this, ABS seems to be associated with low-quality responsives

1 Like

Sweet - thanks, pal! Eh, maybe it’s just a no-go for anything decent, but I figured it couldn’t hurt to throw the question out there. Other than my favorite pen, I’m a fan of Lego, and those suckers are all ABS, too, so I just thought “what the heck”.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Why not contact the store and see what they may have. There are plenty of quality plastic yoyos on the market.

You should try a Speedaholic XX. I’m not sure of the differences between ABS and polycarbonate but if you just want a cheap plastic yoyo that can handle some abuse it’s hard to beat (not sponsored). They are <$30 and come in a lot of colors. I have two of them. I also really like the yoyofriends Dove which is only slightly more expensive and its delrin which is very durable in my experience too. Both are really good and smooth for plastics. Speedaholic XX has the better dimple for fingerspins imo if that matter to you.

1 Like

These are modular if you haven’t seen them and are great players. There are Rim packs out there or you can make your own with 3D printers

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! Sorry if I wasn’t clear in the initial post: I actually have some different aluminum alloys and Delrin and a little Ti fella and PCs, but I was specifically trying to see if anyone knew of any decent ABS plastic (as opposed to polycarbonate or Delrin or POM) nonresponsive throws.

Again, thanks for all the help, folks!

So I know the Myy one third is abs and like the Duncan xt can be upgraded to unresponsive with a wide bearing. Not a great yoyo but not bad.

I’m pretty sure the replay is abs as well.

One thing to keep in mind is abs while strong is very susceptible to cracking and melting with contact with solvents. This normally isn’t a problem except when cleaning your bearings. If you don’t fully dry your solvent of choice off the bearing it will destroy that bearing seat. I have a replay that is super viby because i accidentally put a wet (with acetone) bearing back on and it took the bearing seat with it on my next time opening it up.

You could message yyf either by there contact form or social media and probably get an answer on there yo-yos. I’ve never tried to chat with Myy but worth a shot there too.

I’ll note the strongest/sturdiest yo-yos in my collection (which is what I’m inferring your looking for in this request) that I know can take a beating are all celcon plastic. My sage(classic)/one star, northstar, protostar. all those older yyf plastic yo-yos while mildly viby (as most injection mold plastic is) are my beaters cause they can just keep taking hits without worry.

That and the yyf whip I know it’s poly carb but it just won’t die no matter how hard I am on it.

1 Like

You can always try to get on Mr. Glen’s list for a Spinworthy Survivalist. You will be waiting a while as each one is hand made. I think it was worth the wait.

Solid Plastic and Metal Axel.

Or keep an eye ount on the BST. You will see them pop up from time to time.

Have fun.

Disregard, just noticed your looking for unresponsive

4 Likes

While the survivalist is responsive I’ll also not that’s my go to when I reach for responsive fixed throws in my collection and worry about damage. The things indestructible. My toddler would just drag it around on concrete and it wouldn’t noticeably change anything about it besides some beauty marks.

1 Like

What, specifically, is magic about ABS?

1 Like

Not “magic” per se - list like it. I mean, it’s BPA free, from what I understand, which is nice, and it otherwise I don’t think feels too different than PC, and other things like Lego and my favorite EDC pen are made of it, so I guess I just figured there’d be a few options for throws made of the stuff.

Ugh - I’ve seen this thing, and I freaking love it. It’d be nice if it was more readily available…. No idea what type of plastic it’s made of, but I think it’s freaking badass!

Magic Yoyo K1 is ABS and inexpensive. It comes responsive with a slim bearing but you can upgrade the bearing to make it unresponsive.

1 Like

I believe the current ones are still recycled HDPE based on @Glenacius_K own post a few years back. It’s a very pretty yoyo and super strong. I vaguely remember sone post about running one over and it surviving but I might be conflating a meme or something at this point. Either way I bet you could run it over and still play.

I believe there was something about some other material and solid polycarbonate at one point but poly is expensive so idk

I can’t find the post but I remember Glen posting about running one over with his truck to test for durability and posted before and after pics. The only damage was that the axle had to be readjusted and then it played fine again. I really want one.

I agree about it being badass.

I disagree with more availability. That is part of its appeal. Hand made one at a time by a community Master Yoyo Smith.

Like I said; Worth the wait.

Have fun.

3 Likes

I have looked into buying ABS rod to make yoyos from. It doesn’t come in diameters big enough to make yoyos from.

I wanted tonuse it becuase it glues and dyes well.

3 Likes

There is a Survivalist on BST as of this post.

Here too