So I have two identical Outlier+’s.
One had minor nail vibe, the other had finger and nail vibe.
I tried half swapping them, but that didn’t solve anything, so I swapped back, and now both have very bad nail and finger vibe.
Looking at the halves I think I may have damaged the bearing seat(s)?
Either way, I can’t get the vibe out of either of them now.
Is there anyone with more tuning experience than me that I can ship these to and have you try and tune them?
I can PayPal for the work/effort, or you can keep one of them.
I got a question for you, and it’s not really any kind of brainstorm or something like an epiphany that I just had… But more of an obvious thing, as a source of potential useful information
By any chance, have you tried contacting Brandon Vu directly
Since he designed a thing and did most of the testing before he released them for retail sale, I would say that I would bet good money and I’m not known as a gambler… But I would bet good money if anybody has any kind of idea or ideas on what you might be able to do to at least get a better result than you have right now… That would be what I would suggest.
He is real easy to get a hold of. He’s a really nice guy, and he wants people to enjoy his products enough to at least be inspired to play with them.
This is not just about you. I mean it is in this case because it’s a problem that you’re dealing with
But when I say this isn’t about you, it’s very simple. I would say over the years any good number of people have something funny going on with their yo-yo or maybe a few of their yo-yos from a certain couple manufacturers.
I haven’t done any research, but from the people that I’ve talked to me and asked me for advice, considering I supposedly know something about yo-yos, and the first thing I asked them is, did you get a chance to contact the guy that made the yo-yo?
I would say at least 90% of the time. they don’t hesitate to tell me either they didn’t get a hold of the maker/designer/designer/seller or they hadn’t even thought of it, lol
I will contact Brandon for you and give him a link to your post. He will either jump into this thread and say something to give people general information on the subject. Or he will contact you directly to see what’s up?
He’s really a nice guy, and he doesn’t try to pull anything on anybody.
I haven’t tried contacting Brandon. I mean, if you want to link him to this thread, that would be greatly appreciated.
I thought that since these weren’t brand new from Offset directly, and since I tried doing the half-swaps myself, that this would count for some sort of user error?
I honestly never thought of contacting Brandon directly, my first thought was to come to the forums and see what knowledge I could gather from others who are more experienced than I in tuning.
fradiger
(the world is a beautiful cat and i must meow meow meow)
6
would you be able to post some pictures? specifically of the bearing seat
once it gets messed up enough it’s pretty hard to recover, i know i’ve used emory paper (shoutout @MarkD for that suggestion a few years back) to VERY carefully and evenly shave down posts that had a deathgrip on bearings
in terms of other things you can try:
making sure the rims are 100% set, if you have a vise and something soft to sandwich the yoyo in (i like to use old bits of leather or rubber) you can do that, or just throw it on some carpet and step on the bearing seat (be very careful, especially with modern competition yoyos you can easily bend the hub area)
different bearings, especially if you have some different brands of them laying around, there’s some throws i own that are only smooth with NSKs for example because they tend to fit a bit tighter than regular bearings
using teflon tape on the axle to make it sit slightly differently
ding it again and hope it helps (mostly kidding but i’ve had a few yoyos magically damage themselves back into being smooth.. feels like black magic)
sometimes you just cut your losses and turn it into a 3a pair or a beater yoyo you keep in your car 24/7 or something
You gotta trust me on this… Brandon, from what I am told is the quality control for the stuff he has made. I’m pretty sure, but I may be wrong. It’s happened… But I’m pretty sure that Brandon actually puts the yo-yos together and does the QC himself… Quality control that is. but he does a lot of stuff in the process of bringing his yo-yo’s to the point of retail sale.
Also, he is somewhat of a perfectionist, at the very least, and I have no doubt that he’s done a lot of half swapping as have many yo-yo makers/designers/sellers, etc.
I will contact him for you right now. I’m not saying he has a magical answer. But what I would say is he would find your curious adventure to be adventurous. Lol