Weight loss journey

Early this year I hit my heaviest and got pretty sick. I realized I need to get back in shape or I’m not gonna survive to see my kids grow up. I’ve made some meaningful changes such as getting a bike and riding with my son. Counting calories and reducing my intake. Getting a standing desk snd finding something to keep me interested in standing. Yo-yoing has helped keep my off my butt a bit. Fasting after a certain point in the day when I’m less active. Generally I’ve reduced my calories and increased my activity and it’s been hard to stick to.

I still struggle with motivation and embarrassment for hitting my heaviest cause it’s a number I don’t even share with my wife but I need to feel comfortable as myself and hopefully throwing something on a yoyo forum no one knows me on can be the start of breaking out of my self doubt and help my self esteem a bit. Idk.

Either way my progress is below. It’s nothing substantial but it’s a start.

23 Likes

I believe in you! It looks like you’re already making impactful changes in your lifestyle. What’s your favorite yoyo trick to watch or to do?

3 Likes

Nah you should be proud losing weight is something that tons and tons of people struggle with and it’s really hard I’m doing good now but I was a lot heavier at one point like 40 lbs than I am now…even being aware that you want to change and making such a huge first step is awesome and a huge accomplishment and you should be happy about it and I’m happy for you because losing weight is really hard you can do it :yo-yo:

4 Likes

The thing I default to is usually looping. I’ve been working on boing boing cause I think my son would find it cool and dna but those are more showy tricks. Honestly just like with responsive learning to flick start and other fundamental stuff I’m just trying to get more consistent with various binds snd regens and snap starting an unresponsive so I can stop winding the yoyo. That was my biggest hurdle to 0A and 2A now I just need to nail consistently the building blocks so I’m not annoyed when doing strong tricks.

3 Likes

Try the engineers wind up or trapeze wind up to get it easily up halfway then you got it from there that saved me so much frustration if the snap start is being elusive

1 Like

That’s awesome progress! You can do it! Believe in yourself.

2 Likes

Boingy boing is one of my favorites. You kind of have to keep your non throw hand finger loose so it can boing properly. I’m still working on that trick, it’s one of those that’s not that hard once you understand it, but is difficult to master. Getting smooth boings is a challenge for me and it’s one of the earliest tricks I learned.

I also recommend zipper as a showy entry level trick, zippers are fun. You can get a nice rhythm going and zone out a little until you’re ready to bind.

1 Like

Brandon welcome to the forum as first thing and congratulations on your weight loss journey!

I have been there not long ago and is a continuous work that require mental and body strength but it worth it for your health and well-being, be proud of what you done so far and keep going, start was the biggest part of the job and your result is already great.

Bike, yoyoing, take the stairs, walks in park, everything that comes to mind do it and if you feel “snack hungry” have an apple or fresh fruit, see a dietitian it helps as well if you haven’t to have a balanced diet programme and be sure you stay healthy during the process.

I am with you man as I really know what does it mean what you doing, feel the shame and sort of try to “keep it secret” at the end of the day there isn’t anything to be shameful and is something that can happen to everyone, be proud of yourself to had the courage to admit that to yourself and start this journey, if I can advice this to you do not keep anything “secret” to your wife but ask her help, you can be healthy together and have a great journey other than a big hand if days are hard.

4 Likes

Mate, your’e a champion. Youre making positive changes for your health and generally a better self. Virtual hug right here. :hugs:

There are many positive changes you can make to your diet which will have staggering impacts on your weight and general wellbeing.

If you’ve been on the SAD (standard American or Australian diet) its a big part of the problem and it tells you to eat far too many carbohydrates.

If you reduce your carbohydrate and sugar intake to be no more than 50g a day, you will loose weight like nobody’s business. I’m talking kilograms per week.

Instead, replace the carbs and sugar with high fat whole foods that contain very little carbs. Red meats, salmon, cheeses and nuts are great as well as leafy green salads and other vegetables with plenty of olive oil on them. Doing this will lower your body’s insulin resistance over time and restore your metabolic health.

Bottom line is, cut down carbs and sugar intake drastically and replace it with fats and oils (not seed based cooking oils). You will lose loads of weight and your general health will improve dramatically, both short and long-term.

Check out a this channel to learn more about how carbs are killing us very slowly:

8 Likes

I eat very low carb. For me finding a few easy recipes that I absolutely love that’s filling and low carb really helped.

Oh yea also eating once a day really helped. I’m down from 220 lbs to 130 lbs and maintaining it.

My go-to are soups. I just make some egg soup or some vegetable based miso soup. They’re extremely low in calories and fill me up for the whole day.

And I love canned tuna so that also helps me from consuming too much calories.

You got this! Carbs are delish but everyone has some kind of low calorie food they absolutely love. I’m sure you can reach your goal weight with the extra exercise you’re putting in. Wish you the best mate!

4 Likes

Nice! A fellow low carber!

Hardest part is the mental shift and you’ve done that already. You’ll be down to your goal weight in no time.

3 Likes

Welcome. Diet is a lifestyle not something you randomly do.

You have recognized what your previous lifestyle has equalled.

A couple tips from me (lost 70 pounds a few years ago and have kept it off.

Its about finding Balance. Our body is amazing and will transform to what we put into it and how we use it.

Intermittent Fasting has worked for me. It was a struggle at first, because your mind “Thinks” your hungry when you are not. Also, the process in which you stomach shrinks during the initial weeks can be uncomfortable.

I have found Quantity makes a huge difference. Smaller Portions, along with “When” I eat carbs.

I am typically on a low carb regimen. But I love Pancakes. So instead of going without, I do a short stack at 11:00am. That gives my body time to burn the carbs, plus increased activity that day and no other carbs.

I try to not eat before 10:30am. If I do have a “Snack” after dinner, it is cheese or nuts. Nothing past 9:00pm.

This process wont be fast, but it is maintainable. Set a intake amount, and stay with it. Over time pounds fall off.

There were times I wanted a Candy Bar. So I did, and it was my only Carbs that day. Moderation is key.

Once you have your Diet established, its easy to adjust. I got a little lighter than I was happy with, so added a few more carbs daily.

The intermittent fasting will become normal, just the way you live life. We teally do not need 3 meals (or more) a day.

High carb days are late Morning. Low carb Days are Dinner is how I do it.

Becareful with fruits, while they are healthy, they are loaded with carbs.

Good Luck Sir.

4 Likes

Nice work CaptRogers.
Another thing I’d like to add is…SQUELCH the negative voices inside your head, its all senseless mind chatter anyway…breathe stay present.

1 tool I learned to utilize for weight management in regard to time of day I should be eating, is a blood glucose monitor. Glucose monitor helped me identify my bodies digestion cycles especially in regard to sugar and carbs and what time I shouldn’t be eating them. Like after dark or before going to bed.

As well as learning why and how to eat thanks to this Guru…Live Lean TV - YouTube

SpinWorthy and Pun1sh3R gave great advice. Refrain from process food and make nutrition a Lifestyle.

Eat Well Be Well~

4 Likes

My 2 cents, you need to talk with your wife.

I would be willing to bet, your wife is well aware of your weight and has her own anxiety and just like you hasn’t thought about or be comfortable enough to think of a way to bring it up.

Congratulations on the weight you have lost.

1 Like