WEdge vs. Replay Pro/ProtoStar

Does anyone here prefer the WEdge over the Replay (Pro) or the ProtoStar?

1 Like

I prefer the protostar over the Replay Pro, First Base, and Skyva, never tried the Wedge

1 Like

I was gonna say Protostar is a bit small in diameter, but surprisingly itā€™s about the same as the Shutter. Quite modern for a 2009 throw!

One of the more unusual features of the ProtoStar is its large, spherical ā€œhubcapā€. Other than giving the yoyo a distinctive appearance, does that offer any performance benefits?

Not really, thatā€™s one of the signatures of itā€™s outdated design. But then again, the weight rings giving it the extra rim weight is what made it a yoyo ahead of its time, widely recommended by everyone until just a few years ago.

1 Like

I presume the reason it isnā€™t widely recommended by everyone anymore is because unresponsive metals have come down so much in price? At $20, what outshines the ProtoStar today?

Well it stopped being recommended cuz it was still $35.

Now that itā€™s dropped to $20 I think itā€™s back in the game and honestly there isnā€™t anything under $20 that Iā€™ve played thatā€™s better imo.

I think part of the reason it still isnā€™t being recommended much is because itā€™s super old, people like the new stuff. There really isnā€™t much thatā€™s older and still in production.

Oh and I guess the death grip spacers are super annoying, especially for beginners so that might be a factor.

1 Like

Yeah, spacers are the absolute only negative I can think of

1 Like

WEdge for the win.

1 Like

I consider the ProtoStar and now the Wedge a cut above the Replay Pro. For 20 bucks you canā€™t really go wrong with either of the first two. Same goes for the new NorthStar.

So if a Wedge is consistently visibly vibrating on a simple sleeper, would that indicate a bad axle?

Not necessarily, could be any number of things. What happens if you smooth it out with your fingernail while itā€™s sleeping?

I barely prefer to play with the Wedge over the Replay Pro (mainly because of its finger spin friendly hub), but I canā€™t seem to fix the Wedgeā€™s vibe. Both are great yoyos.

Hereā€™s a quick ā€˜n dirty video of the Wedge vibinā€™:

https://youtu.be/FjpSnqFB5u0

Tbh i prefer the replay pro (even though i just borrowed one) over the wedge. The replay pro has better spin time, weight ( i sorta prefer heavier throws over really light ones) and a bit more stable. But the wedge has really good spin time too, especially considering the weight/weight distribution, its still really stable,
Overall tho, i prefer the replay pro (i wish i bought one instead of the wedge but hey fingerspins are fun)

The wedge has vibe out of the box(or atleast mine), and tbh i dont really like any vibe/ wobble on my yoyos, but no string vibe on my wedge tho. And thats fine.
Oh and btw, imo, the replay is more comfortable in the hand compared to the wedge

I find the Replay Pro to be more comfortable in my hand than the Wedge as well. In fact, I find that I just donā€™t get on with wide chunky yoyos. So that, combined with the fact that I canā€™t seem to ever throw the Wedge without it oscillating means it probably wonā€™t be getting much play time.

Iā€™ve tried countless wedges and all of em vibe a little bit. I find the vibe is less noticeable when you screw the yoyo tighter but most wedges vibe a lot.

I recently got a wedge in the mystery box, and Iā€™m not a huge fan of it. I donā€™t really like the bearing, and mine has a fair bit of vibe as well. I do like the shape though, as I really enjoy throwing the monometal edge that also came in the box, and they are pretty identical. For a plastic, my go to is the Replay Pro, however, Iā€™ve never thrown a Protostar.

I have owned them both, and I prefer the Wedge.

2 Likes