What is yo-yo vibe and how do I test for it?

It’s pretty simple, just taking it out and putting it back in. Feels like a crapshoot as to whether or not it’ll actually change anything, though.

Well, I turned the axle around in my Wedge, and if it helped the vibe at all it wasn’t by much. Not enough to really notice at any rate.

Plastic yoyos like the Wedge are going to vary considerably (more than metal) from one specimen to the next in terms of things like vibe. I guess mine is just vibey-er than most, and when combined with my unrefined throwing technique, the vibe gets really magnified.

1 Like

People get overly concerned with vibe. Keep in mind there is a distinct difference between vibe and wobble seen in seriously out of balance yoyos.

1 Like

How long have you had it? And did you get it from us? If so send us an email or call and we can try to help you out.

How vibey is it relative to metal? That’s the gold standard. Plastic is never gonna be perfect in terms of vibe. I just tested a few I have here on hand

• Mojo
  • Diffusion
  • Addiction
  • Wedge

All of those would be at best 3~4/5 on the vibe scale where 5/5 is perfect or near perfect and many metal throws today achieve that IMO.

Yeah, I bought my Wedge from YYE a couple of weeks back. I made a video showing the vibe and linked to it in another thread:

The thing is I don’t have much trouble getting my metals to spin with almost imperceptible vibe, nearly all of which is certainly due to my less-than-perfect throwing mechanics. However, I am never able to throw down my Wedge without getting the oscillating vibration as shown in the video I posted.

I should also add that touching a finger to the gap of the Wedge as it spins has, in my tests, had no meaningful effect on the vibe.

2 Likes

I just watched your video. There’s definitely a bit of a pulsing vibe. I know you’ve already tried it but take it apart again. Take the axle completely out again. Then put it back together and test it. Try that a couple of times. You can sometimes get lucky where the axle sits between the two halves and eliminate most or all of a pulse. If it doesn’t work I’ll bet the folks at YYE will help you out. They are very good about customer service where these things are concerned.

2 Likes

I guess there’s no harm in taking it apart a few more times; it’s not like I’m going to be selling it to anyone. It’s worth noting, though, that the vibe in that video is the best it gets; usually it is quite a bit worse depending on how clean/straight a throw I achieve.

I don’t expect a plastic yoyo to perform like a metal yoyo. But this Wedge just seems notably worse (in terms of vibe) than any of my other plastic yoyos, including my Sage and ProtoStar.

3 Likes

Yes I agree. The video shows a “pulse” kind of vibe which is definitely annoying. I don’t mind some vibe on a plastic yoyo but a pulse is a deal breaker for me.

1 Like

Aha! Some good information from @tyler_severance on this:

Tight bearing seats put a lot of Yoyo Manufacturers “between a rock and a hard place” so to speak.

We can either take the risk of machining a looser bearing seat…which means we will lose concentricity in the bearing seat, potentially making your Yoyo vibrate or wobble. Adds to the difficultly of maintaining your yoyos smoothness once it leaves the factory (the bearing will never sit the same way twice).

Or go with a slightly tighter bearing seat. Which might make it slightly harder to disassemble/reassemble, but will keep your yoyo maintaining it’s smoothness (so long as it’s not hit hard enough on the ground to bend the wall/axle).

Most go tighter, than looser.

Like Tom mentioned, colors will change the bearing fit also. Darker colors build more pigment onto the metal.

More evidence that vibe and the bearing seats are strongly interrelated, at least on monometal yoyos.

3 Likes

This makes me appreciate One Drop even more. They make dead smooth Yoyos with loose bearings?!?!?!? Mind blown.

6 Likes

Vary helpful can’t wait for my B grade canon and atlas come in the mail (✿◠‿◠)

1 Like

I’ve owned two One Drops, one bought new and one bought used. They both vibe more than any metal yoyo I’ve owned. I really don’t understand the whole “One Drop Smooth” thing and why it’s continually perpetuated. Maybe I just got unlucky. That being said, my Terrarian is a great yoyo and I don’t care much about vibe.

2 Likes

Interesting. Maybe (poor) luck of the draw? My two (Kuntosh 5kQV and Sugar Glider) are both pretty damn smooth - one was bought new, the other used. Suppose we’ll see if I’m 3/3 after my Mantis finishes its long journey to my mailbox.

Two isn’t a large enough sample, but that is unfortunate! I would say my ODs are pretty vibe free as a rule, and I own 30+. The ones with side effects have more variables at play but I’d hardly call them “vibey” as a class :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

Many many years ago the best yo-yo was the one you had in your hand. The wooden one. The one that went up and down and helped you have some degree of fun while performing or learning your tricks.

Then, molded plastic yoyos and metal yoyos arrived on the scene. And due to the more consistent potential of the newer materials used; a higher standard of precision was the new standard.

Most is us simply grew up with a logical understanding that the inherent inconsistencies in wood density, was a root cause of many yo-yo halves not mated properly. And the yoyos: shaked, rattled or rolled; no musical accompaniment necessary.

With the advent of using materials that allowed very consistent outcomes. The focus became which Company was willing to take the time and effort to their advantage and machine yoyos using sound designs and precision equipment that would result in yoyos that spun SMOOOOOTH and played well.
…It ‘is’ possible to have a yo-yo soon perfectly smooth and yet not play for crap.

So the challenge was ‘on’. Design great yoyos that spin smooth, feel good and play excellent.

The players that wanted to focus on getting better just decided on a good yo-yo and spent little if any time doing Extensive testing to decide their yo-yo ‘DIDNT SPIN PERFECTLY SMOOTH’. And as a result: they couldn’t sleep at night, lost interest in sex, had no urge to eat food or have any fun in life and had a stunted yo-yo learning curve because they spent their entire fortune on a VIBEY yo-yo.

While the Spin Doctors were busy in California; creating half the tricks that are still considered pretty amazing today; others preoccupied with ‘ Perfection’ in Manufacturing, helped to establish New Guidelines(Whine-lines) in what amount of Vibe should be tolerated before Screaming, ‘I’ve been Robbed’. My yo-yo has Vibe and I can possibly learn a trick on this mess.

Regardless, too much Vibe is probably not fun to anybody. But the search for perfection is more a technically Worthless adventure. And the very best yo-yo players I have come to know over the last 22 years, have NEVER related to me any performance issues they faced as a result of using a vibe yo-yo.

Even If don’t care for ‘too much vibe’.

But more often than not, vibe is Overrated.

The more experienced the player, the less you tend to hear anything about vibe.

Manufacturers should be expected to produce high performance, smooth playing yoyos.

But the high standard of perfection that is established by ‘some’ yo-yo enthusiasts is more a waste of energy that could be better utilized in actually throwing yoyos, having fun and learning tricks.

…And for that miserable minority that is just compelled to spend their lives letting vibe Kill their Flow. Please recognize that ‘fingernail grinds’ are not listed on any trick ladder.

12 Likes

i’ll custom install vibe, for a fee and upon request, for any yoyo i sell. cash up front for custom work.

8 Likes

Bend that axle boiiiiii

3 Likes

i have MANY packages to choose from!!! the ‘woodchipper’ is a particular favorite around the holidays

3 Likes

This should be mandatory reading for all forum users on a regular basis.

6 Likes