Protostar comparison /w replay & wedge

wondering if anyone here flys the protostar, and how it compares to the replay and the wedge, or other plastic yoyos. Anything is helpful. Thanks guys.

1 Like

Replay and Protostar play / feel completely different. To me the Replay Pro is the best plastic (I have a Protostar too). Comparing these two is like onion rings and mozzarella sticks. Both are awesome and have very different feels but Replay Pro is my go-to plastic.
Edit: I have a Wedge too. All three are pretty different but the Wedge is similar to the Protostar which to me is radically different from the Replay Pro.

1 Like

Dylan {Klywaski?::: youtube yoyo-review guy} has a friend who likes it the other way (protostar > replay pro).

How do they feel different? Is one faster than the other? Is one more stable? ect…

2 Likes

It’s so subjective. Only experiencing a yoyo will let you know if you like something or like it better than something else. I love most of my yoyos but when I throw my Top Deck…oh-oh-oh-yeeeeeeaaaaaaah! My sea fade Top Deck has had a Markmont Rebby string on it for 3 wks and…total…bliss

2 Likes

I personally like the Wedge better than the Replay pro because of finger-spin capabilities. Also, the Wedge is a little wider which makes it easier to hit tricks. I have not tried the protostar so don’t know if that one is good.

2 Likes

I have all three. The Replay Pro is heavy, stable, and good for most tricks, if a bit slower playing. If you like the Shutter, you’ll probably like the Replay.

The Wedge is quick, light, and easy to land tricks on. Finger spins are excellent. The axle system is probably the best out of the three.

The Protostar feels the most like a metal. It plays solid, spins long, and is good for most tricks. The axle system is pretty bad, but aside from that it plays just as good as the other two.

I ordered another Protostar this week.

4 Likes

I also have all three and I agree with @Throwto100’s description of each. However, my personal yoyo preferences make the ProtoStar the clear winner of the three.

I like that the ProtoStar plays very much like a metal yoyo. I like its W shape and all its specs (though I definitely don’t love the death-grip spacers). The Replay Pro is a bit heavy for my tastes and its gap is too wide. The Wedge is indeed light and zippy, but it is way too wide and bulky and tends to be quite vibey, much more so than the ProtoStar.

Better than all three, IMO, is the Dove, even though it is a little more expensive. But I feel it is worth it.

2 Likes

Have you tried tuning your Wedge? Idk if you just have a vibey one but the metal center can pop out, sort of like how you can tune side effect yoyos.

1 Like

No, I haven’t spent much time tuning my Wedge. It’s size keeps it out of my hands in any case.

1 Like

I will agree the Dove is a better yoyo in general. Getting grinds, fingerspins, and a unique feel makes up for the higher price(and the Protostar used to be 35 dollars, so really they can be directly compared)

1 Like

When the dust clears I may ponder getting a Dove based on what you said.

1 Like

please show me how to do this!!!

1 Like

John Ando…

1 Like

I don’t know how the h*** Gentry Stein won with the replay, it’s stable all over the place but when I try to zing it, it gives me the “no sir!”… :unamused:

1 Like

Yes you do. He’s Gentry Stein. :wink:

3 Likes

“And I wanna win nationals with a 16$ yoyo”

…yes… you… would wouldn’t you… :open_mouth:

1 Like

anyone know if you can play your throws and hardfloor surfaces?

Severe/North Star fingerspin/Protostar/Replay. All good descriptions above, I personally feel like the North Star plays most like the replay, especially if you put the same bearing in them.

I like the Northstar but the noise it makes drives me crazy so I rarely pick it up…

1 Like

They all play differently with the Replay’s feel being the farthest from the other two. Here’s my experience with the three:

Replay Pro - Heavy, slow on the string, excellent stability and spin times, comfortable organic shape.

Wedge - lightweight, can be played fast, less stable, very wide, excellent fingerspins.

Protostar - moderate-light, can be played very fast, excellent stability and spin times, decent grinds (sanded/blasted finish), basically no fingerspin potential, terrible bearing and spacer design.

All three are great yoyos for varying play styles and preferences. Interestingly, a few grams and shape differences can make each play completely different.

Personally, I love the Protostar for pretty much everything, like the Wedge for occasional fun and 5A, and dislike the Replay.

1 Like