Vs. Newton YoYo Concepts: Andrew Maider wins MA States!

I’m not really planning on sparking it.

And there’s nothing wrong w/ that. If I would’ve gotten one, I wouldn’t spark it either. I’d try to keep it minty mint :slight_smile:

I’ve finally gotten over keeping my throws in pristine condition. However, I won’t intentionally go out and spark em (doubt anyone would).

It’s definitely not the end of the world when your girlfriend comes up and grabs the throw mid air and the rings she’s wearing dings your one hundred thirty dollar yoyo.

That depends. What if that ding, somehow by bad luck, gave the yoyo permanent worse-than-b grade vibe?

I got one yahhhhooooooooo! I’m exited. And there’s no way I’m sparking it lol.

it can take lube if you dont like the noise, but it doesnt need it

meh.

I’m sure w/ a really bad mishap, it could happen. It doesn’t take alot to mess w/ a yoyo. I mean, it does w/ dings, but, other things like a small bend… well…

ive been trying to add vibe to this B Grade Ti Walker since i got it (within normal human means without deliberately destroying it) and have been unsuccessful so far

How come it’s B-grade then? Just a slight vibe?

it has peak vibe, but that would make grinding it on concrete complete suicide if damaging the yoyo were a real issue (vibe + concrete = excessive yoyo damage from the extra contacts caused by the vibe)

i have sanded off the damage twice so far. still nothing past what it initially had. its my main player. the vibe is such a little thing that most people i show barely notice it at all

The way I look at it is that it’s better to have a Ti yoyo than none at all xD

I can handle vibe ::slight_smile:

If my 7075 aluminum Superstar can handle walk the dog on concrete on occasion, a few smacks into the concrete and still remain smooth as butter (which is has), I think titanium will be just fine. That said, I haven’t decided yet whether I will spark it or not. If it becomes a main player and decide that I will keep it forever then I will spark it. If I think I might sell it down the road then I won’t.

I can’t seem to find any info on “sparking” so please tell me why one would spark a yoyo intentionally. From my understanding it’s just letting the yoyo touch a rock whilst spinning producing sparks. While it may look cool, why not just buy a 79 cent lighter? It’s cheaper and designed to do just that. I understand that people have their own ways of having fun but please help me to understand this particular interest.

this has been an age old discussion (that normally ends in dispute) since the first Ti yoyos hit the scene.

for the sake of both parties, i will present both as unbiased as possible

AGAINST sparking: my yoyo was made to be an engineering miracle and i thoroughly appreciate this to the point that i am greatly against damaging it. i understand that damaging it produces sparks, which to some may be interesting, but i can find cheaper ways to obtain this thrill without damaging my investments. my titanium yoyo is a collectable that should be kept safe.

FOR sparking: my yoyo was made for the sole purpose of being enjoyed. titanium offers the ability to spark. while this may potentially damage the yoyo, i do not buy my toys to sit them on a shelf and watch them. if my yoyo can spark, i would be denying it part of its potential to not spark it. my titanium yoyo is a toy that offers a feature i feel should be utilized.

although i can see both sides, i lean SLIGHTLY towards spark over no spark. i can understand the collectors side, but there are thousands of yoyos that i could collect that dont spark. i compare this to buying a computer but not using it for the internet. while you still have a great resource tool and it is much less susceptible to damage, you are not using it to its fullest potential.

in the end the choice is yours. they are your toys. enjoy them however you want.

@Heath - Thanks for that explanation!

Part of me wanted to hear, “OMG Sparking creates sooooo many sparks it looks like someone is sharpening a sword and you can see sparks flying EVERYWHERE!”, but I’m glad that it’s not true.

I also found a video of someone sparking a very thin titanium yoyo over some flammable liquid to start it. Not impressive in the least.

In the end that’s exactly what I had suspected: that people spark do it because they can. Which in my eyes is perfectly fine as it is their throw and not mine, though it still hurts me to see things messed up intentionally. I respect all of my throws and gadgets as if they are a work of art (as they are) yet still respect them as a tool for fun as well and play with them.

sparking looks cool and i want to try it but would it make the yoyo play or look bad??

From what I understand, yes absolutely it would mess up your yoyo. There may be a chance for it to just affect the appearance and not the play. Eventually I would imagine that it would mess up the balance simply from the metal being worn down over time against another hard surface.

If you’ve ever hit concrete with your yoyo, imagine doing that intentionally.

Titanium is much harder than Aluminum. While walking the dog on concrete would severely damage an Aluminum yoyo, Titanium will only sustain tiny scratches that can be seen, but hardly felt. Over time, constantly sparking the yoyo may eventually cause larger grooves. I don’t see any harm in sparking a titanium yoyo as that is one of the allures to owning one. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not for damaging yoyos in any way. I always try to keep my yoyos in pristine condition, except for a designated one or two. But a yoyo this cool would almost be sacrilegious to not spark it. What other yoyo would you have with you on the 4th of July?

Exactly! It’d be unpatriotic to not spark it. Having seen one drops personal sovereign I can tell you that sparking it will barely affect the play if at all. However if you slug it against the ground with all your might that could induce vibe, but will not break the yoyo.