Vibe obsession hurting yoyo community?

Someone should make a vibeometer that measures vibe to deal with this.

2 Likes

I get what you’re saying but I think you’re over thinking it a bit. Some people just do want another colour as that’s what they like. Some people do just want slight tweaks to their fav yoyos. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that. Vote with your wallet. Things you don’t like will happen, but you don’t have to be a part of it.

3 Likes

Accept the vibes it is fate
PSX_20190822_161142

8 Likes

In this era, I think it is normal for people to expect perfect, vibeless, deadsmooth yoyo. The smoothness even plays major role for company to determine the yoyo grade.

However, we also need to understand that yoyo is 2 metal halves combined and connected. Vibe is natural thing to happen as long as it doesn’t affect the play significantly. Depending on some reasons, vibe to certain degree is acceptable…

Sometimes yoyo with vibe even plays better than the dead smooth one. Lol

5 Likes

just to give the right merits, the Ronin is not a model of SPYY but of ThrowDown, passed the production license to SPYY because TD had decided to cease trading.

3 Likes

am i overthinking it though? i can crack open my cases, pick out brands that i’ve mentioned, or others, that can still command their original retail price or more if put it on the bst. innovation Versus iteration example again. the peak and peak 2. every model of the peak 1 was an improvement of the innovative design, for the community. the bst won’t lie. the peak 2, iteration. so much so you could by the jack rabbit peak 2 from an online retailer until this past week!

the other thing is, i am a part of this community, and will be. my challenge to you is, jordan, where is Only P3n!s Yoyos going to be when the dust settles, and how are you going to retain the competitive staying power? There’s a Tifloat still hanging around the BST, Smashing doesn’t appear to retain it’s value like some of the innovators i speak of.

We do speak with our wallets… I especially so when an entire country is stereotyped as “fat americans”…

1 Like

It is not an unpopular opinion, it is a wrong opinion.
Who told you that many brands that have stopped producing have done so because of problems of earnings or low profit?!?!?!
From what sources do these considerations of yours arise?
There are quite different causes to the simple profit behind the choice to close a road and take a new one and they are often very different from each other.
This applies to manufacturers (for example, behind SPYY, YYJ, etc. there have been health problems, Oxygene has focused its interest on completely different products and markets, etc.) for retailers (YYN or YYZ in your opinion ceased to exist for lack of profit?) … for everyone.

Not really. The SPYY Ronin was very different from the original Throw Down prototype. While Throw Down gave SPYY their blessing in reimagining/redesigning the Ronin, there was no licensing involved, and it’s definitely fair to call the model the SPYY Ronin.

1 Like

I think so, yea.

As for where OP will be later, I don’t know. I’ll continue down my path and it’ll lead where it leads. I always said I don’t want to be a hype company. I’m happy for my yoyos to take a while to sell out as I want less stress than I had with Smashing. That’s the entire reason for the closure of Smashing. I have more going on in my life than yoyos.

5 Likes

forgive my English, I used the term license in an imporptive way, there is no legal aspect, I just wanted to say that TD designed the shape of the Ronin and agreed to SPYY to produce it.
There are clearly visible differences, the spikes in the first place are the thing that immediately catches the eye, the distribution of the masses, the return system, etc. but from here to say that SPYY has made a “very different” yoyo it seems to me at least exaggerated.
The idea of the shape, innovative in itself and of the forms in general, was from TD and SPYY left them as they are … approaching the two yoyos, there is certainly no feeling of having to deal with two different objects .
So yes, it is right to call the Ronin a SPYY model, but only if you consider it a TD model reinterpreted, without drastic changes, by SPYY.

I know you have both the proto TD and the Ronin SPYY, it would be nice to see some shots of the two side by side.

P.S. curiosity, the Ronin TD anodized by Vendetta, did you know it is in Italy?

love it! don’t want to be a hype company… and i think that’s what we see a lot of too, and a self-reflection of not wanting that can be acknowledged widely. awesome…

i’ve appreciated our discourse today, very much… to many more. i bid you, good day sir :wink:

4 Likes

I mean if you want to get technical, the shape came from ME. Here’s the original drawing of the Ronin profile which I pitched to Nate/Throw Down. I drew it up in the teacher’s lounge during my break and Nate loved the idea.

Here’s a side by side of the TD version with the SPYY version (and a Flying V lol)
5031230515_5598b741af_z

The SPYY yo-yo which saw production was way lighter and more agile than the TD proto (which felt very much like a Pyro). The proto also had the “Schmoove” rings and you can se the angle is far steeper and the gap a bit narrower which resulted in a very different feeling on the string.

When I joined SPYY, from the beginning the idea was for Steve to make the Ronin his way, incorporating my original ideas (and yes we made sure it was cool with Nate, too). But I was mostly throwing fixed axle and responsive, so we made the Flying V first and came back to the Ronin a little later. I didn’t know where that Vendetta version ended up - that’s super cool!

Anyways apologies for the thread hijack!

15 Likes

Quote by Eckhart Tolle…“It (Viberation) is neither good nor bad, only thinking makes it so.”

Stay Present…Breathe…Yoyo Frequently!

5 Likes

Unless vibe is impacting the performance of the yoyo (in a way I can detect), then I don’t care about it. Besides, 99% of the vibe I experience is due to (my) imperfect throwing and binding, so getting all bent over the other 1% seems silly to me.

6 Likes

The way I could see this hurting the community is if people are wrongly convinced that vibe is inherently bad. Well informed people disagreeing about its importance lead to good discussion. Accurately describing vibe in BST is important (to some). The problem as I see it is if someone new to the hobby is led to believe that vibe is going to make it hard for them to throw, or a sign of a broken yoyo (if in fact these things are not true). This can lead manufacturers to falsely make the decisions to reduce vibe at the expense of price or innovation, such other have mentioned. If no vibe is what people really want, that is what they should emphasize. But if people are falsely worried about vibe, due to"hype", then the system is making suboptimal yoyos. (I’m not saying this is a false assertion, only that if it is, it’s harmful if people buy into the fallacy.)

(Personally I love a smooth yoyo, and also don’t mind vibe. Good Vibrations may be my all time favorite song.)

YAY! We’ve started FLAMING!!! Huz-freaking-zah…

Um… Atari was an improvement of Pong. But the Atari 2600 (the famous one) was the third or fourth iteration. Also, the 2600 took HUGE cues from Colecovision. After the Atari 2600 achieved a level of success, Nintendo improved that design with the TvGame and then the Game and Watch. While this was happening, the home computer happened. The advancements in that market gave rise to Microsoft. Are you seeing the pattern? These things weren’t “huge jumps” they were slowly improved over years and several iterations. Yes, I would take a PS5 (see that 5?) over a NES. BUT I wouldn’t suggest that there was a leap in innovation between the two.

Also, off we look toward innovation in yoyo tech, the latest would be the addition of a bearing. Everything since this has been iteration on a theme: Round [save the kooks and weirdos (looking at YOU, square yoyos…)]Spinning Objects.

Big leaps in any technology don’t happen often. When they DO, they are copied to death, improved upon, changed, copied again, and fought over for YEARS. Until the NEXT thing. Unless you’re part of the team dreaming up the Next Big Thing, you’re just wasting time talking about it.

2 Likes

Are you ignoring how many brands were built on the precision and knowledge it took to offer a 10/10 smooth yoyo? If vibe is hurting anyone then maybe the lack of it shouldn’t have built the brands that did better?

2 Likes

I know where the idea of Ronin’s form comes from (I’ve been reading your blog for many years … “your last name backwards spelled :slightly_smiling_face:” … and I remember you weren’t very… enthusiastic)
It was not my intention to go deeply into technicalities, very much with you … but I would not want part of history to be lost, and all in all the Ronin was “born” in the TD house, even if he then “grew up” in the SPYY house.
Thanks for sharing the picture !!!

2 Likes

I agree that the drive to make better yoyos is worthwhile and something we all benefit from in the long run. If tirelessly striving to eliminate vibe is part of that, then so be it. That’s great. But I think celebrating the push for progress is different than insisting that yoyos must be 10/10 smooth in order for them to be worthy of purchase or play.

4 Likes

Your yoyos have been fantastic, and I’m glad you’ve found a way to continue making them. Please continue to do what you do. We only got here today because of the constant improvements that were achieved over time, and folks like yourself are the driving force.

As for vibe - by today’s standards, a new yoyo with noticeable vibe is simply poorly made. Any argument otherwise is an excuse IMHO.

7 Likes