Vibe obsession hurting yoyo community?

Wait what? If you are thinking that I meant that $5-10 yoyos should be smooth, you are mistaken.

2 Likes

It’s not a demand for perfection, it’s raw competition causing manufacturers to bow out. It’s people’s always wanting something new that’s hurting these manufacturers. It’s the BST and Facebook forum taking away even more sales from manufacturers. It’s that the YoyoExperts store, in just the 1A category, has 564 results for yoyos. Yes many are sold out, but 564!! And they don’t even stock a lot of brands you can find elsewhere. The reality is that there are “gazillions” of different yoyos for sale at this very moment with dozens more added each year.

We are the enthusiasts in a niche community, and we are few in number. Going off the last poll I saw, 55% of this community own fewer than 25-49 yoyos. If you account for people that didn’t bother to answer, the real percent is guaranteed to be much, much higher - probably in the 80% range if I had to guess.

So, it’s not vibe hurting the community, it’s sheer over saturation. There’s too many manufacturers now chasing the relatively tiny community size. It’s survival of the fittest. If you can’t make a “medium-to-high-end” vibe-less throw in 2020, there are dozens of other companies that can.

10 Likes

after reading every post in this thread. I have decided nobody needs the information I shared within my post.

Since there are so many masterminds contributing here.

My view seems unnecessary.

So I just archived it for posterity.

I’m not sure if I want to spend the rest of the day throwing nothing but One Drops?

Or just break down and throw one of my vibey yoyos?

Most of the conversation after my post is quite interesting and thought provoking.

6 Likes

no, i know what you meant

and, it seems everyone who can work around a basic CAD program wants to do a couple little tweaks to an existing design and make the next Draupnir or Grail… how about less iteration, and more innovation… that would probably help with saturation…

3 Likes

I’ve heard from many of the biggest manufacturers that they like the BST. It keeps hype up. It means they don’t have to re-run old yoyos and can concentrate on new things but people can still get their hands on old yoyos. It lets people try a premium yoyo by a company without paying full price so that they might buy the next one at full price.

As a former medium sized manufacturer (Is that fair?) but now small sized one, I still like seeing people trade my yoyos. It means more people get to try them. It’s interesting to see the used prices fluctuate and keep some track in my head as it’s important feedback.

Saturation is an issue, but it’s important to note that this is due to how easy it is to make a yoyo now and so many are. It’s not because of the BST. If anything, I see the amount of new yoyos being released hurting the BST communities because people are only interested in the new new.

As for vibe, a new yoyo shouldn’t vibe. If it vibes from a ding or other damage, that’s part of the game. It shouldn’t have any vibe out of the box, or from being unscrewed/used in general.

12 Likes

you’re first and third paragraphs appear conflicting. moreover, with any jo blo being able to pump out a yoyo these days, it would appear to make the bst thrive more. people, especially younger or newer cats, don’t have to jump blindly into a rando brand to take a risk, cheap or not.

if you’ve been on any bst lately, stating up-and-comers or smaller-than-boutique brands are hurting the bst community is quite obtuse. a couple flashes in the pan won’t replace years, generations of innovation and change.

1 Like

I don’t see how they’re conflicting. I may be misunderstanding your point?

It’s not just new/small companies that are saturating the market. Saturation is the sum of all of the parts doing it. I don’t think it’s a big enough issue to worry about, as stated before, it’s survival of the fittest and the market will let the strongest survive. It’s more for company owners to think about than those buying as it’s a buyers market.

I don’t think small companies are bad for the community. I just think they’re contributing to the saturation of new models and when people are mostly interested in the new thing, they’re less likely to buy the old things on the used market. Again, I don’t think this is a big deal, it’s just something that’s happening. Lots of choice is great for the consumer so it’s a net benefit.

I’m not saying saturation itself is bad, perhaps I should have called it a talking point instead of an issue. It’s something to be aware of, sure, but I don’t think it’s something to get too worried about.

2 Likes

Man I almost typed a text wall but than I just thought…ehh… its just a long winded post about why I stopped buying from yyf.

8 Likes

The poly edge, somewhat the butter.

2 Likes

I honestly think retail price should include “no defects”…

1 Like

i have this conversation regularly with some of my peers - and i’m solely speaking from my ‘experience’, i never claim to be an expert or omnipotent, lol. but, we’ve definitely been seeing a greater appreciation for the organics and old school styles.

when i speak of brands that were innovative, instead of iterative, from the golden years, i immediately think of spyy. their shapes (ronin), styles (rsl), etc. it seemed like they were consistently pushing the boundaries of what they could do with a variety of shapes. i feel where we’ve come to a point of iteration. granted, i’m not a performance throw type of guy, and maybe that’s why? how much more of a v-shape can you make it? how many more metals can you add to it? inner ring/outerring? i know turning point and yyr are pushing performance boundaries. but, what is being innovated for the rest of the community (where’s our parade?)

daytona sb - great example. but, there’s 25. and, it took a while for those 25 to sell out. so only the handful of us that wanted them got them.

there have been a few pieces that came out recently that seemed gimmicky over innovative, like the christmas tree and petri (no offense to the brands, honestly). what staying power will they have? and that brings me back full circle to the bst, spyy, innovation, etc. if you put a ronin, rsl, etc. on the bst, that will get snatched up in a heartbeat. can you say the same about a petri or a christmas tree in 5, 10, 20 years?

2 Likes

@chaosgow Totally understand what you’re saying. I’ve been watching a few yoyos in the bst, just waiting to pull the trigger. Last night I see that there are a couple of interesting small company yoyos available for about the same price, from the store. I can do the pm thing and get used yoyos, inspect them, continue to communicate with the seller, or just buy new. Bst got put on the back burner this time around.

3 Likes

Innovation is great but I don’t think it’s everything. Itteration is better because it slowly pushes us towards greatness. Big steps are always going to be rare. Make slow but steady steps towards better and you’ll eventually arrive there. Striving for faster movement and you’ll inevitably crash. I respect those reaching for the stars and trying. I think in the end it’s important to have both.

5 Likes

I’d pick an iphone over a blackberry any day… x-box over atari…

man never achieved greatness while watching other people do their best

2 Likes

I think iphone might be a bad example of innovation these days :joy:

15 Likes

compared to a blackberry, no. but, to your point, lol, minor changes, iterations, flood the market with redundancy that some people will get bored with - and that’s where i’m going. these tiny iterations turn into capitalist grabs… ‘we made another color’, ‘we added a line here’, ‘look, this one has a tissue bag instead of a toilet paper bag’… eventually, we’ll get bored, us little peons will eventually want more and revolt

I feel like throwing more wood than metal the past 15 years has skewed my perspective… but I think waaaay too much is made vibe in general. It’s one thing if it’s wobbling and stuttering like it’s got the DTs but I try to treat every yoyo like it’s the last one on earth. Usually I can find some enjoyment in it.

I sometimes fiddle with the action on my bass, trying to get it as low as possible with the straightest neck without buzzing. But really that mindset reveals that I just want something to fiddle with - something to complain about. And it keeps me from just playing and appreciating the groove. It works fine when I let it.

I get that people want a “quality product”, but I also think that chasing an ideal of perfection you never really approach or appreciate where you’re at. It’s just extra.

Don’t forget YOU have a lot more vibe than your yoyo. There’s no atom on earth which isn’t constantly alive with vibration - we all have to find home within the frequencies. (Or keep chasing absolute zero I guess.) And yet at the center of every yoyo, it’s always still. And in the State of Yo, all vibes harmonize.

19 Likes

Yes I agree with this. People are people, and they’re not perfect, so they’re not going to be able to make a perfect product every time. That’s what I’m saying, there are a lot of yoyos that should be appreciated that are rejected because of vibe.

2 Likes

this!

i was having a discussion about vibe with someone on the forum, can’t remember who, but i was discussing the subjective nature of vibe, and some things that could potentially impact one persons interpretation versus another… how long are their fingernails? how much coffee did they have? are they on meth?.. obviously some are tongue in cheek, but there are a variety of factors well beyond the physical object in your hand that can knock an ‘8.5/10’ down to an ‘8/10’… like, are we that accurate in measurement, really? there are actual measurements, like, amplitude and frequency, that are measurable and quantifiable, ot someone’s subjective interpretation, to measure these things…

7 Likes