User Friendly Forum Layout.

Now before I get flamed for critiquing something that probably a lot of people are used to and like, hear me out.

I like the layout of the forums as they are now, I understand where to post what to and where not to post certain things, However people new to the forums may not.

Specifically the Help/Maintenance forums.

Within the “Yo-Yo Reviews” board we have the main posts onto that board, but we also have a sub-board “LF Recommendation/help” I like the recommendation part of that board, I’ve used it quite a bit myself. I don’t however like the “Help” part of it, with “Yo-Yo Modification and Maintenance” on the main page it’s a bit confusing for the first time poster.

Say I’ve just bought my first yoyo, a yyf whip for example. It’s bearing has jammed up and I have no idea how to get it working again, I google “yoyo help” and YYE pops up, I’m not too computer literate and don’t spot the search bar at the top of the forums. I click into the mods and maintenance board and get overwhelmed with people showing off their new mod or asking questions about things I don’t understand. I go back to the main page and notice the grey bar under yoyo reviews which says “LF recommendation/help” and get over whelmed with people asking for which yoyo to buy. All of this may put some people off, I know I’ve seen guys just drop a hobby because something wont work out and doesn’t want to put the effort of finding out for themselves.

I seem to have rambled on with that story though, lets get back onto topic. There should be a section of the forums, whether it’s a sub board of the mods board or not, titled “New Player help” or something along those lines. Where the person new to yoyoing can go in and find a thread likely to help them, or create one themselves.

A quick YYE site search for “Stuck Bearing” creates a lot of confusion also, with the first page of results showing posts from General, LF Help and Maintenance. If the “New player help” board were there we’d have a way to corral all of these posts into one place and hopefully stop one topic being brought up over multiple boards.

tl;dr: A new forum section where all the “Lf Help” posts can go instead of scattered around in different boards

There’s a sticky with information on just about any information you’d need for maintenance. And people usually won’t snap at you if you post a thread asking how to clean a bearing, or remove a stuck bearing, etc etc. We get repeat threads all the time, usually from people not reading the stickies, and pretty much every time we try to help the person out regardless of if the question’s been asked before.

I understand that people will happily help no matter where it is, I guess I’m just offering this to help my OCD. Really bugs me when a certain post will get put into a couple of boards because they don’t fully understand where to post.

And that stickie only helps once people know what solution to use. I’ve pointed towards it before without knowing the problem (friend couldn’t describe it) and he managed to ruin the yoyo :/.

If the stickie were to use headings like “bearing stuck”, “yoyo has vibe” etc It would be a little easier to read.