US Nationals 2014 Results

I would like to see performers have to post the routines that they will perform to the judges before they compete - like in ice skating. Too many of these “technical” tricks just look like someone went up on stage and just started to throw tricks. There is no style, no flow, just string-noodling to really bad music.

If the competitors had to post their routines, then they would be forced to create a routine that made sense with the music. As it stands now, performers can pretty much make-up whatever they want to on-stage.

I remember hearing a top professional (yes a former National Champion too) telling his someone that he does better when he does not have a pre-conceived routine. That is wrong on all levels and hardly contributes to an artistic performance.

1 Like

why does it need to be

A lot of modern yo-yoing looks like that to me. There are no “tricks” anymore in 1A at least, just seemingly random moves strung together with the occasional bind/throw (unless you’re Jensen in 2011).

Full agreement with Chimera and Yoyogeezer, and here’s my 2 cents.

This is similar to what I’m saying. It is a PERFORMANCE, not a trick ladder competition. I’m not saying that Zack isn’t an amazing thrower. That’s a fact, it’s just that when you are watching a performance, things should sync up, you should feel the flow of music in harmony with the flow of tricks. If you’re not throwing with the music, it looks like a white girl trying to twerk…it just doesn’t work.

Alright aside from all the hating on who won 1A (there almost always is with these competitions). I’m just going to Shout out and give kudos to all the forum members who rocked it at nationals!!
AKA if you don’t know who I’m talking about
Stuart white
Philip white
Jake Elliot
And of course a long time ago Josh Yee

Maybe you should hustle as hard as you hate.

(Even though I wanted Rojas to win)

When the contest is in the park, everyone is milling around, looking for shade, checking out the vendors, and generally just hanging out in the park. Which is awesome and fun, but it means that the actual contest is the last thing anyone is paying attention to.

Moving finals to the theater sets everyone up to sit down and WATCH finals. No vendors, just seats and a stage and I’ve gotta say it made Nationals finals WAY better.

2 Likes

Good idea. Last year, and I was there, the only time the crowd cheered was when Gentry walked up. (Chico lovers) :wink: It was a bad crowd, and I, unfortunately, have to say I was apart of it.

Congrats to all
Was great meeting stuart!

1. Zach shushes the crowd I think so he can hear the start of the music (for those of you haven’t competed, if you have quiet music, it’s hard to hear the music when the crowd is cheering).
  2. Imo, Zach is a more technical than Gentry, but Gentry wins in everything else.
  3. I forget who mentioned it, but Zach’s messups are more costly because he relies more on his tricks.
  4. Fun contest. :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if anyone is having a problem with the results themselves, but here is something to think about: the judges actually choose their favorite performances, they score the competitors with clickers and follow a system. They’re as much in the dark as everyone else is. No scoring system is perfect, but the current system is the most satisfactory created yet. Disagree? Zach and Gentry are apparently the forum favorites and they were the top two.

Also, Evan Nagao should’ve won.