US Nationals 2014 Results

No. Just No. :wink:

What do you mean???

I will preface this post with an indication that no offense is intended to anyone, this is just a clarification.

I’m not sure what this is supposed to mean. I believe the “debate” here is that Gentry times his tricks and entire routine along with the music, which is artistic. On the other hand, we’ve got Zack Gormley who is much more technical. Meaning that arguing the fact that Zack is more artistic requires one to drop the premise that Zack is more technical.

Your debate point falls apart due to the use of logical fallacies coupled with an inability to explain your side. Either Zack is more technical or he is more artistic.

Just saying no indicates a personal opinion not based on any fact, just that you like Zack more then Gentry, therefore you should state that as an opinion, not cloak it as an infallible argument.

Gentry is more of an artist with his tricks, I’ll give you that. He has the system on lock, and that’s why he won worlds, along with the tricks.

I honestly think Zach’s tricks are awesome. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t care for them…

2 cents is still only worth 2 cents. At the end of the day the outcome is still the same.

Gentry got worlds. Zach got nationals. Both are talented champions.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s like saying apples are better than oranges. They are both fruit. Which one is better is personal preference.

Oranges are better. If you think different you’re wrong and should be shamed publicly!

lmao ok mr/ms. treasurer of the high school debate club

No. He is just an intelligent person with an understanding of logic*

*something we should all have.

1 Like

Artist?

If fast paced performances with pretty awful music (to me) are art to you, then yes. Go back and watch Jensen kimmitt’s 2011 worlds freestyle. Compare it to gentry’s. See if it still is art.

The problem with gentrys style is that he cant really afford to miss any trick. As s the same with most players who try to milk the scoring system with not so technical tricks, they absolutely need to keep the flow perfect to let the audience forget how simple their tricks really are. Gentry at worlds this year did similarly as mickey did in worlds 2012. They both did have minor misses, but all those happened at places that affect flow quite minimally, for example in the beginning of a slow trick, end of a fast trick, and step-wise tricks like gentrys consecutive laceration. When these people mess up a lot in the middle of combos they r basically screwd.

Art is something that has different qualities to different ppl. Some ppl think graffiti is art. Others call it vandalism.

Disagreeing with someone’s definition of art, makes you neither right or wrong just different. It’s alright to have an opinion of someone’s opinion, but it doesn’t change the fact that it’s still just an opinion. Either way your two cents is worth just as much as the next persons. There’s really no need for a word war.

Seriously, your debating how artistic a yoyo performance is. All freestyles are art. They may not fit into your classification as art, but then again you’re not on stage pouring your heart out. It’s easy to criticize from a keyboard.

(Not directed at any specific human being. Just how I feel in general.)

Well said.

Back on point,

Zachs performance was amazing, was really good to see him take the victory. I have to say though, part of me wonders why he keeps “shh”-ing people before his performance. You gotta get the crowd fired up!

Gentry’s freestyle was incredible as well. I actually thought the routine itself was even better than his Worlds routine, just not quite as clean. All the chopsticky tech was beautiful, being a big lover of chopsticks myself. It’s like he just gets better each time he steps on stage…

Evan Nagao was brilliantly entertaining, couldn’t help but enjoy his performance thoroughly. Dat enthusiasm, he really gave the crowd something to cheer for.

Some seriously great freestyles this year. America has some serious talent. :slight_smile:

I guess having a basic understanding of logic is a crime around here. Perhaps if I had conducted myself differently My argument would be accepted.

Anyone on the forums - “Zack is more technical.”
Me - “no he isn’t.”
Anyone - “but, insert valid, intelligent and logical defense.”
Me - “no, no, no, no. I listen to nothing. Hahahaha.”

Is this really what the intelligence level in America has come to?

He is both because fact.
If you disagree then gentry will be so disappoint that he will only compete in AP divisions from now on.

Also to anyone who thinks gentry is fast
#rekt

The one thing that everyone should agree tho, is that the style a player chooses on stage has nothing to do with his skill. For world class players, it s just because and only because they personally like said style. Nothing more. Dont take this as if they cant do anything else. just dont ok

True. I guess what I’m saying is that there is more to yoyoing than how technical someone’s performance is.

I will be kind of abstract here.

It’s true Zachs and Gentry’s tricks are both amazing. But is seems that with Gentry’s, the tricks LOOK more like the music. If that makes sense.

As said before, Zachs tricks are probably more difficult than Gentry’s. I will not deny that. But Gentry is with the music more. Not only in sync with it but also as mentioned before, his tricks are like the music.

When I see the two performances, I see one, and say:
“wow those tricks looked really difficult.”
When I see Gentry’s, I say: “wow. Those tricks were with the music. Also, it was well choreographed, and he did more than just do a bunch of tricks, that are vaguely related to the music”

Guess which one I think is the better performance.

Guess which one I will remember.

I do believe Zach deserved what he got. Gentry made so major hype misses where Zach kept his routine pretty clean despite his misses. They just we’re not that big.

Evan was INSANNNEEEEE. No really. I mean.

Yeah, gentry missed in some key places.

yeah its weird, he shh’s people before he starts, but “waves on” the applause after his combos throughout. id guess that hes just anal about starting right as the song starts, but from watching tons of contest vids, thats a hard thing to pull off.