Upgrading

Di Base is a beast

Yeah, but it is undersized.

Bump

Why do you not like undersized?

Because I like fullsize better, IDK.

The DM2 is on your list. It’s oversized. I consider 54mm to be “full sized” and anything above 55mm to be oversized and anything below 53 to be “undersized”.

So, get the DM2. Enjoy. Have fun. Great throw! Decision made. Lock thread, buy yoyo, move on!

I already have a DM2. Got it October 1st. Like it, but want something better.

I guess I forgot to take it off the poll.

I just got my protostar in the mail about three days ago and I must say (while giving all due respect to the dark magic), I like the protostar much better. The dark magic will allways be my favorite yoyo because I started with it but the protostar outperformes it in every way…kida didn’t want that to happen but it is true. More spin, better stability, and regens are about the same. There you have it.

I like my DM2 better:)

Don’t bother me who likes what yoyo better. I like my DM2, that’s MY position and I’m sticking with it. However, I accept and respect anyone’s preferences that do not match mine. There’s a LOT of good stuff out there that there’s a good match for everyone who wants to take the time to find their best match.

BETTER is a relative term. Is there stuff better than a DM2 or Protostar? I’m sure there is. I’m sure I have some of it in my collection too(say, almost any CLYW throw…), but I find myself coming back to the DM2 time and time and time again. So, an upgrade for some might not be an upgrade for others.

It all comes down to the same lack of clarity that comes whenever anyone is fishing for information. Too much information on too many models doesn’t help solidify a decision easy.

All I can say is, you’re narrowing your options by going full sized. This isn’t a bad thing, mind you. I think it’s great you’re got preferences to work with. It helps limit what you should be looking at, and that helps you make a decision easier.

If more people asking such opinionated question would say “hey, I like this size, this kind of weight, this bearing size, this string, I play like this, I want to do this”, it really helps.

For me, heck, if I like the price and how it looks, for now, I’m down with it. But, I do like oversized yoyos in the 67 grams and up range best with a C-sized bearing. But I’ve got plenty of undersized and full sized throws and different bearing sizes as well, so I’ve got plenty of variety.

I agree. OK here I go : full sized, weight does not matter, I like whips, slacks, hops, and Eli tricks, C-sized, Poly, I want to play like John Ando. Hope this helps.

Well protostar and superstar come to mind very quick, hehe. The superstar is a great yoyo, that can handle all of those but if I may…I would highly suggest the Pro from SPYY (yes very slightly undersized) but it plays like a fullsized and has a 1.7 inch gap to help with those whips and slacks. If you want full sized I think that I would recomend very highly is the genesis (not the genesis+). It is a great yoyo, tried and tested, can’t go wrong with it at all. 1.69 inch gap and full sized 1.22 inch diameter, great spin times, and great stability. The pro in my opinion does better than the genesis but the two are some of my favorites, cant go wrong with either one.

@Studio42-I said in an earlier post that I was getting a protostar later and that I couldn’t give my opinion on it and that I could give an opinion on the Dark magic. So I said that I would talk about the protostar when I got it and tested it.

Superstar= To much money:(

Genesis=not to much…only in the 80 range, hint hint

Genesis= No good colors

Honestly I have no idea why people don’t get good yoyos just because of there being no color choices that they don’t absolutly love…maby it is just me but color dosen’t matter as long as you are getting a great yoyo. Well…do what you will, I have given my input. It just really erks me is all, that I try to help and all that I get for an argument is “No, no good colors”. Ok then, I have given my side…didn’t mean to sound harsh either, just stating how I feel about that, happy throwing.

That’s an interesting statement. The thing is, until recently, I was of that mindset. It’s like “you know, I really just don’t care for that color/colorway” or even "Man, that whole selection is just one type of vomit after another sort of thing. Unfortunately, I have to mention certain brands, specifically CLYW. Splash, splatter, acid wash, just wasn’t doing it for me. I like clean, simple, solids. Still do. But, I’m missing a lot.

My attitude is that that, in many cases, I’m spending a fair amount of bank on a throw, it better be something I want to live with.

So, I bought a gnarwal, used, with some scratches and dinks for a great price to see what this CLYW love is about. The gnarwal also had two different colored halves, so it didn’t help either. Ugly? Well, debatable. Fantastic player though. But why can’t CLYW stop with these colorways or make some raw, polished or solid color options as well? But, given a choice, I like the 28 stories colorway, but I have two different models in that colorway and I get confused. My BVM, Shark vs. Shark isn’t too bad. Now, my 2nd Run Peak polished is sweet! The Avalanche in a Matterhorn splash, well, I’d kind of prefered the colors reversed, but it doesn’t look bad.

I also had a custom FHZ done in a white/blue splash.

I also have a CLYW using an acid wash colorway. A small bearing bassalope.

The color it makes spinning. Just have to see it.

I’m kinda opening up my choices a bit. But that’s up to the indivudual.

I won’t question people making color choices/restrictions. They have to live with it. And, for the money, why get it if you don’t love it?

I agree with you Studio, there is truth behind your logic about not getting it if you don’t love it and there is also truth in my opinion as well.

There is the, “well I am spending 120 dollars for it so it better be a color that I like” and then there is, “it is a great yoyo and although I want the color that I want I might miss out on getting a great yoyo just because of not liking a color”.

I agree with your statment and I like to get what I want in terms of color as well but what I am saying is if I can’t get that exact color that I want then that is not going to impact my decision of me getting the yoyo or not…to me more precise.

As to “why get it if you don’t love it”…well it is like a pro that I am getting in trade (one of my all time favorites), it plays so great and I love it. I allmost didn’t take the deal because the pro is that ugly pink and fusia acid wash. I look at it this way when I make a buy or trade. I just name the yoyo and not the color so to me it wasnt “I am getting a pink pro”, it was “ok I am getting a pro…sweet”, hehe.

I am also getting a sasquatch, my choice of red with black speckle (looks beautifull), but if I had to get another color instead like that john bot edition (dont like the color) (not counting price, just going off looks) then I am still getting a great yoyo…the sasquatch and I am so psyched about it.

I was going to have the gnarwal and BVM stripped and then painted. I figured “If I can’t get it the way I want, I can have it made the way I want later on”. Later on, say, a few days after having the gnarwal(the BVM arrived a few days later), I instead chose to respect the yoyo. Both yoyos came from definately loving environments, or were well loved by their previous owners, and it didn;t make sense to deface the yoyos. They were “born that way” and “raised that way”. I know, it seems silly.

The concept though is that we do have options.

I won’t criticize what other people like or don’t like, be it brand, model or color/colorway/finish. Our selection of yoyos is as individual as we are. While we may share a lot of likes, we also may have dislikes or preferences. My collection is largely dominated by blue yoyos and will likely stay that way.

I’m also eyeing a sasquatch. I’m looking used rather than used. There’s something really organic about how the CLYW’s look, and something even cooler about having them broken in already(for the most part).

I also shop with my eyes. What catches my eye has so far played very well for me. Stuff that hasn’t really caught my eye I don’t like as well. Case and point is the protostar, which while I like, it’sn’t a favorite, yet I’m glad I have it and am keeping it. However, I’ve decided my collection should include a lot of “common” yoyos that many people have so I can relate better. At the same time, having a diverse collection of throws ranging from expensive to inexpensive helps a lot when I talk to people about the hobby. Nice to be able to throw out inexpensive options. Other throws such as the Northstar, dv888, Kickside, Lyn Fury, Speed Maker and some others are in my “acquisition sights”. Just because some of these are very inexpensive, doesn’t mean they aren’t an upgrade. If it challenges in some way or provides a different playing experience, to me, that can be an upgrade. As no two yoyos play the same(well, provided the make and model vary), you get what it gives.

For the most part, there’s typically a color I can live with for the models that catch my eye. What’s also cool is that at least when it comes to dealing with YYE, I can simply pay NOW for something I want, and when it comes in stock, I’ll be guaranteed getting it.

But to pull it back to the OP’s angle:
There’s just too many fantastic choices for upgrades. Wht is an upgrade for SOME isn’t an upgrade for OTHERS. What’s right for ME is not right for YOU.