Upgrade advice

I’m looking to spend between the 40 and 50 dollar range on a new yo yo. But after some research, I’ve noticed that there are quite a few good choices and I don’t know which to get. I’ve only ever owned Duncans and I really want to move on to better things. I got a Metal Drifter most recently, and although it’s really very good, I’m beginning to feel that the tricks I’m learning will eventually require better equipment. I’m kinda leaning towards the YYF DV888 because it seems like it would be a good transition from the Drifter. But I also would kinda like to try one of YYJ’s plastic/metal hybrids like the Atmosphere or Dark Magic. Or should I save a few bucks and just get one of those nice Konkave bearings for my Drifter? What should I do? Any comments would be helpful.

I would definitely look at the dv888 and rec. Rev no.9 both are great metal throws

1 Like

Well, personally, I started out w/ YYJ Bi-metals, and I loved the Atmosphere. Although, if you don’t want a smaller, heavier yoyo, I wouldn’t get it. I’d go for either a DV888 or Dark Magic II.

1 Like
  • Most any currently available yoyo by any reputable company can do most all of the tricks.
  • YYJ makes some good stuff. Compares favorably with anybody else in a given price point.
    Some would argue they compare well with more expensive offerings as well.
  • I’d put the $$ towards a new yoyo over a KK bearing. That’s not saying I don’t like them.
    I have a few and think they play very nice.
1 Like

I actually do prefer a smaller yo yo. So I’d say it’s pretty much between the DV888 and the Atmosphere. The thing is, since I’ve already experienced a full metal yo yo, would I be going backwards in purchasing a plastic/metal hybrid?

Not at all. As noted above, there are some YYJ models that are arguably as good as or better than an all metal yoyo. Just because it’s metal doesn’t mean it’s a great yoyo. In the same light, a plastic yoyo is not necessarily a crappy yoyo. There’s no magic (or lack of) in the material. It’s in the execution of the design.

1 Like

In my view, the drifter looks cool, but the popular complaint is that it’s too light at 61 grams. Often times heavier yoyos with an emphasis on RIM weight, mean longer spin times. KK bearings help a lot for me because they balance the yoyo better. But you know they are more expensive than standard flat bearings, therefore as someone here mentioned, it makes sense to get into another brand of throw instead. Most undersized yoyos weigh between 65 and 67 grams with heavy rm weight so you’ll have that advantage and most likely they’ll offer you better performance over the drifter… I started with the yyj x convict. An excellent intermediate to advanced throw because of its adjustable gap. It depends on your mindset whether or not you feel like your going backwards. Technically speaking the high end metal throws coming out now are so great, but then on the other hand, Jensen kimmit won his titile with the Northstar, and JD won his with the hitman some years back. So you know its trial and error.

Good Luck-

1 Like

if aren’t very good at binding then go after the dmv2 or hitman pro

a bottle of thick lube is the only thing that someone needs for a responsive yoyo, I wish people would finally get that through their heads. You don’t need to buy a yoyo that comes standard responsive, just pick out whatever yoyo you want and if you want response, pick up a cheapo bottle of YYJ Thick lube, simple as that.

1 Like

It can depend.

However, the one thing you should keep in mind, besides the material, is shape preference.

Some will argue with me to the end, but the DV888 is a slightly more comfortable design, but, in my opinion, and I have owned both, the atmosphere is a faster yoyo, granted it’s heavier.

As far as “going backwards”, there really isn’t a downgrade between most modern yoyos, unless they’re designed to be responsive and nothing else.

It’s all preference. If you want heavier, atmosphere. If you want to be able to grind, and have a slightly more solid feel, go DV888. You can’t go wrong with either.

1 Like

Yep, the Atmosphere is heavy but can play fast. Also, with YYJ yoyos, removing the caps changes the weight significantly. The Atmosphere will lose a couple grams when the caps are removed. Gives you some flexibility there.

Thanks for all the helpful advice, everybody. I placed my order for an Aqua DV888 and a bottle of thin lube. I’m super excited for it to come now. ;D