UPDATE: Shu Takada will be on Americas Got Talent on NBC AGAIN on 9/6/22 (was previously on: 5/31/22)

I was so glad to see this: he showed skill, passion, but most of all he and the audience had fun. By the end they knew he was Legit, even if they didn’t realize this “pretty good yoyo dude” is actually a world champion already.

And hey now I have something to show my family and friends that’s more mainstream than random competition footage that is catered to people who already yoyo. This will be cool to show my teen cousin since I’m gifting him a spinstar, trickbook, and throwing some together soon.

6 Likes

Glad we’ll presumably get to see more of him on future episodes. I couldn’t help being annoyed when they’d cut away from the stage to show the crowd reaction, but that’s the show.

6 Likes

As Shu proceeds through the competition, he is going to have to change it up and constantly exceed the level of spectacle week to week. If it just looks like the same thing every performance—and keep in mind that the judges and the general public don’t really know how to assess the differences and difficulty of the tricks—then Shu will get the usual, “We’ve already seen that, Shu. You didn’t step up your game.” criticism from the judges.

Shu said that his dream was to have an entire show of his own, and he is going to have to give everyone a glimpse of what a 90+ minute Vegas show would look like if he is going to get very far. A lot of contestants go on AGT with an impressive talent, only to find that it is limited in what can be done with it in terms of turning it into a full-length stage production that can keep an audience entertained for an hour or two. Think Cirque du Soleil but with yoyos. Can Shu do that? Let’s see if he can.

17 Likes

He’s incredible but you are right. I think if he could do a show, he’d need to mix up styles and maybe add some other performers to work with. Maybe some juggling and diabolo. Add another thrower and do some “dueling” stunts between the two. I mean, he’s got insane amounts of talent but you can’t do the same thing for an entire set. You’ll lose the audience. So for the AGT thing, he’ll definitely have to come up with variations to what he’s doing. Which will help in the long run to add to his own show variations, if he gets that far. Which i hope he does.

Throw often my friends
kgb

4 Likes

Happy cake day!

Also, it will probably become increasingly difficult to make his performance more and more impressive as he goes on as there are only so many bangers he can do. A 4 minute routine is already difficult to get enough tricks to fill up the time, a 90+ minute show would be nigh impossible. What’s more is that he already pulled out a lot of the impressive things that he can do at the audition, which would really limit how much more impressive he can make his performances.

That’s why you find singers and dancers winning such competitions, they can change things up easily and make their performance more impressive, especially singers as they just need to sing a new song and let their voice do the work. Skill toys are really limited by the amount of bangers they have, which is usually not a lot.

1 Like

Honestly he’s not just like that on the show, he’s probably like that in reality as well. There’s quite a bit out there about winners of the X-Factor complaining about his music label that they were signed to, saying that it’s toxic and abusive. There’s some videos out there talking about how terrible the Britain’s Got Talent contract is as well. You can look up the controversies surrounding him, there’s quite a few.

1 Like

Anyone ever see John Higby live on stage… he does a hour or 90 min show, solo… he’s got comedy, magic and every style of yoyo thrown in there. I think Shu can deff create a 90 min show, i am hopeful that Shu brings at least one more surprising performance… he’s got amazing skills in other styles of yoyo i bet he’s got something planned for the next round at least.

13 Likes

I’ve seen some neat footage of him doing synchronized stuff with John Ando, jugglers, and other skill toy/flow arts folks, so I wonder if he can bring other people on later, or if it is required to have all performers for any of his future acts to have been in the first act too.

4 Likes

Ain’t gonna lie…. I teared up! Shu is so awesome.

Then… that final performance happened and it was complete water works. :joy::smiling_face_with_tear:.

Come’on … who else??

4 Likes

:person_raising_hand:

Not embarrassed to admit this was so moving. Shu is such an inspiration!

5 Likes

If Shu runs out of bangers, he just needs to light the yoyo’s on fire.

Fire always gets people amped up on AGT…

7 Likes

this is true though…

throw often
kgb

1 Like

Anyone know when we can expect to see the follow up to this or did it already take place?

3 Likes

John actually was on agt before

6 Likes

Apparently Shu Takada is scheduled to be on again this Tuesday. I am very much looking forward to it.

6 Likes

Should we edit the title? “and again on 9/6/22” ???

3 Likes

Really !!! Oh man I’m definitely watching that !!! I wonder if he’s going to go BEAST mode on the routine !!! And I was literally just thinking about ordering some loop 720s as well :wink:

3 Likes

I think it let me edit the title. Unless I’ve been made a mod and not consulted or notified, I think you could have too.

2 Likes

I know. I always feel like editing other people’s topics is something that shouldn’t be so open, but sometimes you just have to I guess.

5 Likes

I don’t have cable. I am not sure I will be able to watch. :frowning:

I’m going to start searching for a way…