Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

You’re probably right, and I shouldn’t have mentioned MFD not knowing their process. I’ve never tried Vines, all I know is they’re sold in bulk at a much lower rate than I could ever hope to achieve so I assumed they’re made in bulk, but that might not be the case. Also how you define “bulk” might factor: to me, 10 at a time is normal so producing 50 and selling it for $13 certainly implies they’re making them way faster and cheaper than I ever could. So to me, that’s bulk. But maybe other brands like kitty make thousands for pennies, so maybe Vines fall somewhere between boutique and bulk. Honestly I really don’t know, so I probably shouldn’t have mentioned them. Sorry.

And just to restate, none of this is intended as a statement on quality. I’ve never tried most brands tbh, so I can’t attest to that. I just know that there’s no way I could make and sell strings that cheap.

Though I will say I don’t like Sochi lol

7 Likes

I love thicker strings and I use Kitty XL in whatever yoyo has a gap that will tolerate it. It’s not too soft but isn’t rough either. I have too much yoyo string right now so I can’t justify buying any more at the moment. The yoyos I use most frequently are on the heavier side and a nice fat string just feels better. I love the idea of individuals making small batches of string because I know they’re making them out of a love of the craft and there’s more of a connection between the string maker and string user. It’s like getting a handmade birthday card as opposed to a Hallmark card. Not that bigger brands don’t put care into their string making too but you know what I mean.

4 Likes

Hmm. I don’t find them ugly. They just don’t feel as good.

3 Likes

Sorry if my post came across as attacking, definitely wasn’t trying to poop on your post. I do consider Vines “bulk”, just bulk made in-house and not in a factory (kinda a weird in-between) since they purchase all their thread locally and make the strings themselves; they might have a deal with their thread provider that gives them a discount since they always shout them out on Instagram when they pick up boxes of thread, but they might just love the company which I get since I find Vines great lol. I think MfD do have a ‘bulk’ setup, maybe multiple setups that do 10 at a time, that’s how many seem to be in the individual bundles in the 50pack I have. They also seem to make a huge batch every now and then and aren’t constantly making them.

6 Likes

@gsimian G-String is considered to be one of the first “Boutique String” makers. He can spin 20 at once with his string rig.

6 Likes

I’ve always loved G string. Greg is totally dope.

4 Likes

Oh yeah no worries dude, I didn’t think you were attacking or anything. Just wanted to clarify my earlier statement because you’re right, MFD Vines isn’t quite the same thing as like Sochi or Kitty being cranked out in a factory.

That must be some setup! I totally understand him not wanting to share pics, after spending that long refining it and all the work it would take to get it working. I’ve upgraded my jig a couple times already and I still twist each string one at a time, but there’s lots of little ways to improve the process.

7 Likes

But he’ll answer any question you put before him on string making. That’s some coolness right there.
Making strings is right up there with, well making anything of value. My fancy throw just won’t work without it. Custodi della Fede.

5 Likes

I’m going to do my best to want the yoyos I have more than the yoyos I don’t. I will try to not buy any more yoyos until 2022 since for the last two years most of the yoyos I purchased were purchased in times when I was depressed and needed a pick-me-up but all the purchases did was drain my bank account. I have a huge stockpile of nice string and a lot of the time finding the perfect string for a yoyo gives me the same feeling as a mail day yoyo.

18 Likes

developing the relationships associated with maildays contributes immensely to the excitement, build-up and joy associated with those moments and times. looking forward to the mail, completing a connection - like a circuit, can be - and has been - very therapeutic. you don’t even have to have the mailday, the conversations without the completed deals are sometimes even better…

10 Likes

Freaking engineer.
Don’t get me wrong, this guy is golden.
Always trying to quantify everything.
Fats is the Snizzzz.
Nuff said.

6 Likes

thanks @Grendel!! likewise bud… that made my morning :grin:

3 Likes

Ah nice, I love wearing g-strings too.
Rare to find like minded people in this niche :joy:

10 Likes

I never said anything about wearing…

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

My old lady hates when I wear one on the beach, could never figure out why :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I don’t like engravings in places where my hands will constantly make contact with them with every throw. It looks nice, fancy, classy, whatever but what will those engravings look like after the yoyo is thrown for a year?

3 Likes

I’d like to see a competition where participants are required to use the same mid-priced yoyo and no one competing will know what that yoyo will be until one hour before the competition begins. Competitors can use the string of their choice.

16 Likes

Aside from sponsorship issues that would be fun

4 Likes

Not all competitors are sponsored are they? I was thinking of a level playing field and how it would really push people. Eh, it was just something I thought of that might make an interesting conversation.

3 Likes