Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

Oh like I said I like the idea, just don’t know how cool some companies would be with having their poster children throwing other throws in competition with competition models being such a big market for most manufacturers. To piggy back it would be cool if there was a list of say 5 tricks that had to be incorporated for each routine that was determined at the competition, making the routines more improv, thoughts?

5 Likes

But again, it does not have to include sponsored players. Sponsored players probably make up less than a fraction of 1% of throwers. Or did you mean the specific yoyo chosen for this contest? It could be a yoyo made by a tiny kitchen table yoyo business.

2 Likes

There have been fixed axle championships at worlds. They are pretty loose as far as rules I think but really entertaining. This kind of meets what you are asking for.

6 Likes

Think of it as a neighborhood public go-karting track. A bunch of friends show up to race with the go-karts the place offers the public. No one is using personal go-karts that they customized. The person who wins the race wins because they were the best driver.

4 Likes

It wouldn’t matter.
If I’ve said it once I’ve said it a million times.
It’s not the throw.
It’s the Hands.
Either you can do it, OR you can’t.
Plain And simple. Just like in the kitchen.

7 Likes

The Truth that know one wants to here. Its not the Yo-Yo, The Bearing, or the String its you. Sometimes the Truth hurts and that is very unpopular these days.

9 Likes

But there are yoyo designs that make, say, horizontal play much more difficult than other designs. Same for fingerspins or tech tricks with lots of string wraps. To say that the yoyo design plays little to no role in the success of a routine defies both logic and history.

5 Likes

And then surprise them with the Dumpster Fire World’s Edition. That would be hilarious.

10 Likes

I don’t think anyone disagrees. Why do sponsored players get a signature yoyo that they have made to the exact specs that will help them perform better if it makes no difference what yoyo they compete with anyway? I know a big part of it is to help yoyo companies sell yoyos. I didn’t mean to get you all flustered and ruin your day.

2 Likes

I have days where I throw perfectly and others where I just have small problem after small problem but my yoyos stay the same. Some people can be “flawless” and some will always hit a hiccup. Imo.

3 Likes

It hurts no one to hear that because that is not news. All I said in my original post was that it’d be neat to have a contest where everyone used the same yoyo and that turned into me being a fox getting into a chicken coop and now feathers and dust are filling the air.

5 Likes

I think it would be cool if the yo-yo used was a plastic or wood unresponsive, this would change the meta and would be cool to see what someone like gentry or keiren could do with it.

3 Likes

In Gentry’s hands, a plastic unresponsive might not change the meta that much. He won Nationals with one after all.

5 Likes

Buddy, no one is offended.

5 Likes

Or Jensen with the North Star…

2 Likes

You forgot my just like in The kitchen…

2 Likes

Sorry I didn’t cook that up earlier.

4 Likes

Maybe give them the rcs dumpster fire, lets sort the chaff from the true throwers for 2020. Most would walk off stage in anger.
I’m a tad sadist like that😂

6 Likes

Then let’s say wood unresponsive

1 Like

I would say that most of them under 45mm kinda suck in comparison. The exception IMHO is steel ones. I absolutely love my ILYY St.Eel. Because of the denser material and ability to be more rim-weighted they seem to hold more stable than say a PopStar. It also doesn’t hurt that they can get banged around without any significant marks.

1 Like