Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

Less yo-yo and more BST:

Charging people extra for the goods and services fee is wack. Like I just sold a yo-yo for 70 and the fee was like 2.33. If you can’t eat that small of a percentage to ensure that your buyer feels more comfortable with the transaction then how can you afford to buy yo-yos in the first place?

9 Likes

What’s particularly annoying is when it isn’t mentioned prior to agreeing on a deal that you’re expected to cover the fees, and then they try to flip it on you like you’re the cheapskate.

5 Likes

I wonder if some sellers take an affront to G&S, a sort of implied “What, you don’t trust me?” indignation.

I wouldn’t expect anyone over the Internet to trust me without a solid history of a bunch of deals and even then if I’m the buyer I’d still feel more comfortable with G+S. There have been too many instances of people seeming like solid dudes and then just bouncing with multiple people’s payments or yo-yos. This happened on the old forums and and I’ve read a couple feedback threads here about similar situations.

1 Like

This can even happen if they ARE good people. Like, if their phone takes a dump or they lose their email account somehow.

Maybe a little too generous. Lose an email account?

1 Like

Nothing unpopular about this opinion (at least to me). I don’t want to sell aside from G&S, gives buyer and seller some peace of mind.

1 Like

Have you ever had an account hacked?

Anyhow, my point was that you should almost always use G&S. Because even someone with good intentions and good trade feedback can miss sometimes.

2 Likes

2.9% is light - if you’re buying anything I think the buyer should always cover the fees

Shipping and handling is already time consuming (if you want to do it right) I think the buyer can at least bite the bullet and cover the fees, c’mon man!

3 Likes

I feel this - I started out doing this because I had experienced it when purchasing (which I did multiple times before ever selling on here), but now my prices on stuff include shipping and fees; what you see is what you pay.

8 Likes

PayPal charges the seller the fees for a reason. They aren’t charging the buyer, so why should you be entitled to charge them? And like you said 2.9% isn’t much, which I also said in my comment. So if it’s not a big deal why charge the person buying your yo-yo extra?

3 Likes

Either way you put it…both parties would rather not pay the no big deal fee

Personally? I’ve always paid 2.9% on my transactions - I’d rather not lose out on a deal because of 2.9% - whenever I sell my stuff I expect the buyer to do the same…if not, the sale doesn’t go through -
And I would never send someone I don’t know money through friends and family, just doesn’t make sense.

Agree to disagree homie - this exact discussion has happened many-a-time on this forum already

@yoyodoc had a good write-up about this, I don’t remember what thread it was on

At the very least (and I still think it’s not a good look) people need to include the fee in their price and not be like “oh you’re not doing f&f, that’ll be three extra dollars.” At that point you’re just not posting the actual price for your item.

PayPal clearly doesn’t think you should be making the buyer pay fees:

“No surcharges

You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method.“

So sure we can agree to disagree but only one of us would not be abiding by terms of service.

8 Likes

All of my listings have included that discrepancy in the product description - never an oh and by the way midway through PM

Either way, my feedback has always been S rank for years on multiple platforms with this rhetoric

Tomato, toemato :tomato::tomato:

1 Like

And charging 75 for a yo-yo you’d otherwise sell for 70 is cool. But explicitly stating “I’m charging you extra for the fee” is what I take issue with. Just price the yo-yo higher and everyone is happy. Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus present Best of Both Worlds.

2 Likes

The problem with g&s is that if I buyed from you I could claim my money and I would probably recover it even if the yoyo had gotten to me perfectly. I wouldn’t feel comfortable selling g&s because of that

The flip side to that coin is if you buy F&F, the seller can say thank you, never ship the yoyo, and say “I guess the yoyo was lost in the mail”. When I sell G&S, I ship through PayPal, which gives a tracking number. USPS knows package weight. I also record video of the process of putting the yoyo in the box and putting the label on. If someone claims the box arrived without what they paid for, I have some evidence. However, if a buyer feels the need to go to lengths to scam the system by lying about not getting what they bought from me, I just pity them for having no moral compass.

A couple of years ago, I was going to buy a b-grade direct from a smaller company. The price was good. The guy I was dealing with left for vacation, the co-owner asked me to send money F&F. I told him it was inappropriate for a business to ask for F&F. He said G&S was fine if I covered fee. 100% not appropriate for a company run by adults. I decided at that time they don’t deserve my business.

11 Likes

@French has this exactly right here! I’m gonna start videoing my boxing experience too on expensive sales.

I’ve only had one person buy a yo-yo and claim it wasn’t received. I ended up just sending them multiple free yo-yos and extras just cuz.

1 Like

I’m a fixed axle guy, and honestly, I don’t think I like flip or varial tricks. I feel it breaks the flow of fixed axle play. I actually feel bad about this.:disappointed:

7 Likes

Delrin is better than plastic.

2 Likes