Unpopular Yoyo Opinions

My unpopular opinion: Dimples are not good for finger spins.

IF you manage to lock it into place by landing directly on the dimple, sure, they spin way longer and with basically no effort. However in my experience a deep bowl shape is far more forgiving, and less likely to spin out of control on the initial catch.

1 Like

Yes X a million.

Lots of designers, not many makers.

5 Likes

Wait, so you don’t like either of those versions of that trick?

2 Likes

I’m pretty unsure about how i feel about this trick. It is indeed a nice trick. But there’s something about it that makes me dislike it.

1 Like

The same way that all dogs are 99% wolf,
All modern bearing Yo-Yos are 99% SB-2.

5 Likes

DIY dryer blast finishes make no sense. There’s been a few cases that the results catch my eye, but for the most part, I don’t understand why anyone would want to do such a thing to their yoyo.

5 Likes

Contrary to what too many people believe, not every yoyo is a good yoyo :man_shrugging:

8 Likes

Well yes because the DV888 is still sold.

2 Likes

@codinghorror The glass is always half empty. How many minutes, hours, days, months, years are you going to spend with the DV888 on your mind? lol Let it go, let it goooooo…………Breathe in, breathe out, relax. (Everyone send your dv888 to codingorror. Let’s help him face his fears. :smiling_imp: )

8 Likes

Honestly i think the dv888 is @codinghorror 's personal meme at this point lol. I doubt anyone truly believes it is as bad as it’s made seem on the internet lol.

7 Likes

I don’t really care much for grinds.

1 Like

It’s about as bad as it gets for a new stock metal yo-yo that you’d buy at new prices today. Is it literally unplayable? No. Will it kill your dog? no. But it’s… quite bad relative to virtually any other yo-yo you can buy. Your money is better spent on any other (new stock, full price) yo-yo.

11 Likes

Is it weird that all this discussion about the DV888 has made me want to buy one just so I can see how bad it is?

11 Likes

I’m genuinely curious about it now lol.

4 Likes

It’s a dangerous little sucker.
When I had one I remember it returning crazy fast, needed some sort of catchers mitt lol.

1 Like

People are too biased towards American companies and don’t give asian companies enough attention or respect

Same goes for American players as well. Asian and even European players don’t get enough attention

10 Likes

As a responsive it’s not good.

With slim pads and a CT bearing it’s great.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with it with this setup. It performs perfectly well. Honestly.

9 Likes

In no world is it “great”. It is maybe OK by 2008 standards at that point, and you assume zero progress in the design of yo-yos since then.

4 Likes

Yeah. I like the DV888, but it’s not that great. It’s fun to throw and very personable, but it’s not great.
It’s very mediocre.

Huge emphasis on ‘‘perfectly well’’, which I agree 100% with, but it isn’t

6 Likes

When Yoyojam and Duncan first started making metal yo-yos to keep up with consumer habits the yo-yos they produced were very much subpar compared to what other companies were offering.

I can’t remember which budget metal from YYF i owned, but i remember even that budget metal being better than the Duncan and YYJ stuff.

3 Likes