Unknown X Duncan - BUTTERFLY AL and FREEHAND ONE Special Editions!

Releasing Friday, 4/8 @ 8PM EST.

18 Likes

Really been looking forward to that Freehand. Both are just lovely.

3 Likes

this release is goin to make me do irresponsible things…

8 Likes

Will you have many of the Freehand one’s in stock?

3 Likes

We should have plenty to go around!

10 Likes

Love D(UN)CAN

8 Likes

That’s a lot of freehand ones :star_struck:

1 Like

I hooked up on both. Actually I got two of each but who’s counting? Other than my wife.

4 Likes

I got both too. I’ve been kind of waiting for an excuse to get the Butterfly AL for a while…

2 Likes

Wow! Still managed to scoop one up!

:metal:

2 Likes

For anybody on the fence with the Butterfly AL, since there’s still a few Unknowns left in stock, I was surprised to find that it comes with a shorter axle and two half spec bearings in the box. I was already planning on putting in a half spec bearing in, but wasn’t expecting a shorter axle and half spec bearing to just come included with it. This is really nice if you want a metal modern responsive on a budget, definitely swap the axle and bearing if you’re looking to play this as a true snappy responsive yoyo. The full width bearing plays nice when lubed up (I found it to be adequately lubed out of the box) if you like doing longer string tricks, but for stall/flip based play I like the half spec a lot more.

This gets a glowing recommendation from me.

8 Likes

After owning the RBC and Day Tripper, I really don’t know how I want to set mine up. It plays kind of heavy with 0A play, but a good semi-responsive setup might be good. Lubed C might be my zone, but Ill experiment with various amounts of lube in a half spec as well. I got mine currently with a blank, and it’s not a good combo.

2 Likes

Thick lubed full size C bearing seemed really solid for responsive 1A play. 55/56g is a pretty common fixie weight for me, so while the Butterfly AL is on the heavier side, I don’t think it’s overwhelming. And the amount of spin you can get out of it is pretty surprising even with the half spec. So the extra weight has its pros and cons. It feels like it plays more like a modern metal yoyo that’s fully responsive, instead of a metal yoyo trying to imitate the play feel of a fixed axle yoyo…

It feels like this style of modern responsive yoyo exists in a pretty different realm from stuff like the RBC/Alleycat/Day Tripper. This feels closer to the Sherpa/Moonshine. Both styles are good, but very different.

5 Likes