Unexpected yoyo challenge

I was asked by a one handed looper (meaning he only has one hand), to assist him in learning some one handed unresponsive tricks. It’s been making me think and experiment!

I’m finding it not only challenging but interesting, a new perspective for sure.

Give it a try!

8 Likes

All I can think of doing with one hand is whips and laceration binds. Maybe a few finger and palm grinds.

4 Likes

Forget unresponsive tricks, I can only imagine how difficult learning how to bind would be with one hand as a beginner. Looping is one thing but that’s some impressive stuff

4 Likes

Not making fun of the situation at all, but how does he wind up the yo-yo?

3 Likes

Snap Starts?

3 Likes

There was a one handed trick video contest on Reddit /throwers a while back. It was… difficult. I believe @sfyoyos was responsible.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Throwers/search/?q="one%20handed"&restrict_sr=1&t=year

5 Likes

Loopers you can just kind of flick into the air and get them to wind up. It’s like an unresponsive snap start but way easier.

I’ve managed to do something similar with unresponsive, basically snap it then laceration bind.

3 Likes

I am very experienced with snap starts and binding with one hand, but I was asking because I thought he had no experience with unresponsive yo-yos. Wanted to know because response looping is much different then unresponsive

3 Likes

I can confirm that this is very fun :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, I think the discussion got confused between responsive and unresponsive

1 Like

The technical description of this would be a one handed shoulder mount, like doing a shoulder wrap and then mount from your thumb. I’ve been doing it for about 17 years, still haven’t seen anyone else do it, and I can’t find any videos etc. on the trick sights. Pure one handed trick, hopefully they enjoy it.
1hand_mount~2

Edit- Apparently this is a common shoulder mount, :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

@Marm He can wind a yoyo by laying it on the ground, stepping on a small section of string. He also uses a little jig we came up with when he started yoyoing responsive. He can snap start a responsive yoyo and we are working on one handed binds. Slowly moving to more and more unresponsive yoyos seems to be helping him.

@codinghorror That link is awesome as I never check reddit. Good stuff!

@Egon Thanks! That will be very useful!

I should have mentioned he only lacks the hand, he still has the arm to catch the string with.

Thanks all!

4 Likes

There was a video I saw a few years ago of someone yoyoing with one hand. Serious competition level stuff as I remember. I looked for the video a while ago and couldn’t find it. It may have been on YYN. I feel like @yyfben2.deactivated may have posted it or posted in the thread but I’m not positive. That sound familiar Ben?

2 Likes

You may want to watch some 3A players, they rarely have a free hand during performance so they do a lot of 1 handed stuff, also, on Instagram, Tony Sec had a contest where people were only allowed to do one-handed tricks, the hashtag was #sfsingleforelimbcontest, so there is a 76 page catalog on Instagram of one-handed tricks.

TLDR #sfsingleforelimbcontest and 3A players

Here are some of my favorites from it:

Also just found this trick which he may be able to use (the first part)

1 Like