My right arm is paralyzed and im trying to get into yoyoing

so 12 years ago i was in a motorcycle accident that left my right arm paralyzed. some work friends recently got some yoyos and i really like playing with them, im much better than i thought id be givin only the use of one hand.i can walk the dog, forward pass, one handed star, and i really wanna learn some string trick by flipping the string around my paralyzed arm maybe? one is a passion and one is a barracuda. im a bit confused as ive been reading about responsive vs unresponsive and see the barracuda is unresponsive… but i can get it to return with just a bit more effort than the passion… def not doing a bind… so is it not actually unresponsive? or can you bring an unresponsive back without a bind?

im looking to get my own but am torn on what to get. all the cool looking ones are unresponsive, but id hate to buy one i cant do anything with one handed… are there any one handed yoyo guys i could learn from? what do yall think i should do/buy?

29 Likes

Amazing, welcome to our world and mad respect for you!
Have you ever check the 2a style of play? Is looking mad good and I think you can learn so many tricks in this style

11 Likes

ive not but will def check it out! thank you!

5 Likes

Here’s CLYW player Tessa playing one handed - @tessapiccillo on Instagram: "Filming a trick is hard but hey kids, heres some advice from your #cool #aunt Tessa- don’t break your arm. Also now you all know I look like John from Hall & Oates in the morning."

13 Likes

I think it is wonderful that you are willing to take up a new hobby. You may have to adapt or modify many tricks but there are many that won’t require modification.

Welcome! This is an excellent place to gain knowledge about yoyos. Everyone here is friendly and helpful.

On the whole, you can participate in this hobby without breaking the bank. I have bought a lot of yoyos just because I like them.

At 72, my hands don’t always cooperate, but the challenge is the best part.

13 Likes

whoaaa that was truly inspirational! ordering an unresponsive today!

6 Likes

There is a one handed bind! It just takes practice to pull off… I think if you wanna do it go for it… yo-yo is a fun past time

2 Likes

Good luck with your progress, you can use responsive or unresponsive yo-yos if you learn to snap start and bind with one hand. You will have to follow what interests you, but if I had to play exclusively with one hand, I would do mostly responsive, just because there are more tricks I know with responsive style that would be possible, and it’s so much easier to wind and regen than unresponsive one hand playing is.
With unresponsive, you can use plastic whip to bind, and to wind initially if you get a fast snap start.

5 Likes

I’d get a responsive throw geared towards looping and shoot the moon as well. Welcome, happy to have you

5 Likes

I think learning some basics on a responsive will facilitate your ability to bind and snap start an unresponsive.

5 Likes

About your yo-yo, an unresponsive yo-yo can become responsive if dirt or too much lube gets into the bearing.
About finding a new yo-yo, it really just depends on what you like and are looking for? I’d recommend a RBC or Weekender, something responsive. But I wouldn’t be surprised if you soon realize you can do more than you thought possible and jump into unresponsive.
:yo-yo:

2 Likes

These yo-yos are tug responsive, but there is a bearing so they spin well. They are light and easy to snap start, and you can tighten or loosen them to your pref. On the other hand it is 24 years old and never thrown.
Imna pm you.

3 Likes

Definitely consider the RBC!

1 Like

I don’t know about recommendations for particular yoyos but trick-wise, along with the plastic whip, laceration binds can also be done with one hand as well and look pretty snazzy.

3 Likes

I think he can buy a responsive yoyo or lube a bearing a lot so it become semi responsive, I remember at the beginning how frustrating was to learn to bind and the one with one hand will be even harder and annoying without experience.

I think a good solution can be a very lube bearing so he can call it back just like an old school yoyo and then slowly start with tricks and similar, I would still say that he can also learn a lot of 2a and probably also some 0A

1 Like

Huge respect for you first of all. I’m not one handed but I like to play with my throwhand only from time to time. For sure you want to start responsive and maybe even looping at the beginning to get confortable with the basic throws and tricks. My suggestion though is to try unresponsive once you progress, it opens up a whole new arsenal of slack tricks and arm tricks that you can do with one hand. They won’t be easy to learn, but I’m sure you’ll get them. Also have a look at fixed axel style (0A), there’s a bunch of tricks and stalls that you can do one handed, they’re quite advanced though.

7 Likes

OMG I had that yoyo back in the day. It was one of two, the other being a Duncan Ballistic. The nostalgia hit hard when I saw that picture!

To the OP, any yoyo can be made responsive by adding the appropriate lube to the bearing, changing out the response pads for thicker ones and using a thicker string such as YYSL Nytro.
It will take some tuning and you might not have to do all three of those things to achieve the response you want but you aren’t limited to off-the-shelf responsives for responsive play.

Plus it’ll allow you to use the same yoyo for both styles if you find a shape you really like.

Ivan

4 Likes

@onearmedbandit

I left you a DM and wanted to make sure you can see it as a new user.

Worry bricks are a great skill toy for 1 hand use

1 Like