Undersized yoyos?

The YYF Boss is cool. You could always upgrade the DV888.

The MagicYoyo N8 is smaller than the DV888 and pretty cool, too. I dunno if its better, but its different.

Hmmā€¦ Right now, Iā€™m really liking that manatee. That killer finish, and killer performance? My only concern now is its chill-ness.

Iā€™m also starting to think that dv888ā€™s size wasnā€™t the only thing about it that I loved. I probably just loved how easy it was to maneuver, how chill I was when I used it, how it makes a thunk sound when I throw it properly, and how smooth its surface was, and immediately related it to its size. If the manatee really is the best and most chill throw out of the three, Iā€™ll probably just go for it.

@Invaderdust, you mentioned the gnarwhal 2; I just realized I could get my hands on it, but I also saw its price. Is it better than the manatee in any way? That extra 50$ is intimidating.

@saintrobyn, how does the marquis compare to the manatee in terms of performance, finish, fun-factor, etc.?

Why would chill-ess be of concern? that just means it can go as slow as you can go and still be down.

I cant day that its any better, tough to compare the two. I really like the Gnawhal2. for undersized throws its in my top 3. Im not sure how the manatee got brought into the mix, but like i said, its not undersized at all, at least imo. That being said its a great yoyo that i really really (yes, 2 reallyā€™s) enjoy.
Is it worth the price difference? That depends on you. If super baller ā€œold schoolā€ CLYW colorways tickle your fancy, youll find it with the Gnarwhal2 and not with the Manatee.
If ā€œMade in Canadaā€ is more appealing than ā€œMade in Chinaā€ than again, Gnarwhal2 would win.
If collectablilty and scaricity makes you giggle, again the gnarwhal2 would win since its retired and no longer in production while another batch of manatees are due soon.
If all that together worth the price difference? only you can answer that. They both do the same tricks, they both are full on or chilled out at any moment. Ones small, ones wide. Manatee grinds better, but Gnarwhal2 just feels compact, solid, sleek. The Manatee is wide, grindy, and comfortable.

That being said, I play my Manatee alot more than most in my collection (Tundra EXcluded since its so good its not even nice to mention that its my daily throw) and yet I dont see myself ever selling or trading it. Not to say I wont for the right item though. . . hehee

Yeah, I just realized that the manateeā€™s width is crazy. That was an instant turn-off for me. So now, itā€™s between the marquis and the gnarwhal 2. The price difference tells me that the gnarwhal 2 is better, but you guys might say otherwise. Is there a performance difference between the two (if so, how large is it?) and does the gnarwhal have a better finish?

Price can be misleading sometimes for various reasons. In this case the Marquis is cheaper because they made a very large run so they can sell it for less AND one drop has their own machine shop so they donā€™t have to pay anything extra for machining. On the other hand CLYW typically makes smaller runs and doesnā€™t have their own machine shop so they have to hire someone else to machine their yoyos. Also to be honest until recently even with those factors in mind CLYW yoyos prices have always been a little inflated costing more than they really should.

Iā€™d personally go with the marquis, better design in my opinion.

Yeah, I guess I should just go with the Marquis as well. I should still wait for saintrobynā€™s reivew though, just to be sure.

Also, Ti Marquis!
(Hopefully)

So apparently the shipping costā€™s way bigger than I thought, so sadly I canā€™t get the Marquis. My only choice now is the Houska. Iā€™m also thinking about getting the manatee again, after seeing some reviews about it. What do you guys think?

I never hear the OD Cafe Racer mentioned, or the Chico Route 66 Roadster. Anybody tried those? I know shipping might nix them for the OP, but as long as weā€™re talking about undersizedā€¦

Tried and true, the 888
If you can find one the G-Funk is a great undersized throw as well.

The Cafe Racer is a great throw. Very light and nimble, while staying reasonably long spinning and stable. It certainly makes for a great pocket yoyo.

1 Like

I sadly wonā€™t be able to buy the cafe racer, the G-funk, or the roadster.

Also, Iā€™ve decided to buy a manatee, despite the fact that it is in no way undersized.

Thanks a lot guys!

Still a great choice. I love mine.

Oooh, im excited for you!

If you can track down a Chico Bulldog, get one.

I have a terrapin ceramic in mine, and a nice long string, and it one of my favorite things to play with. Fast and whippy if you make it flyā€¦ if you donā€™t, just solid, stable, and compact.

Spins for days. Slightly blasted finish for great grinds. Beautiful colors. Feels fantastic in the hand. Flies @ 50mm diameter

Not sure if this helps much, but for comparison with what else is in armā€™s reach:

(Skyva - Bulldog - Cascade)

Now that I look around, it appears that aside from the shape- the Chico Heavy Hitter is pretty similar in specs to the Bulldog, and easier to obtain since its not OOP. 1g heavier, but similar otherwise.

Looks pretty sweet. . . . I might need one. :stuck_out_tongue:

The original Heavy Hitter was a great throw and one that was before itā€™s time!

1 Like

I recommend the new YoyoFactory Boss, and it will only run you $30. It packs a lot of punch for itā€™s size, and wonā€™t break the bank.

Oops! I meant Flyer, not Heavy Hitter. Weird, I thought I even edited the mistake hours ago.

Anyway, the HH is tempting too. :wink:

Really sorry for changing my mind a lot, but I think Iā€™m going with the Marquis. Apparently I still canā€™t afford the Manatee, so might as well go for the Marquis.

I will still be buying the Manatee though, just not now, and when I get it, Iā€™ll let you guys know

Thanks again guys!

Iā€™ve owned my fair share of pocket throws. Token, Popstar, g.5, mighty flea, shuriken. They were all very under average. The Masamini is very much a high performance pocket throw. I do think the high speed review of the yoyo was a bit overexaggerated though. I own the Masamune and it doesnā€™t perform the same. I think it definitely hangs in the 120 range even removing the novelty and undersized nature of the throw.

(Alex crushing it with the Kenshin and Masamini because Iā€™m not that great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3WpJs0Jh2M )

1 Like