Unbalanced yo-yo

Hi, I’ve just bought my very first yo-yo, and when I try to do the sleep, the yo-yo is unbalanced and the string touches one side of the yo-yo so much, that it stops spining after approximately 5 secs. >:(

I would really use some tips and advices. :-\

Thanks. :slight_smile:

it takes a lot of practice to get a good straight sleeper. With time and practice it will get better, and DONT listen if people say to get a konkave bearing to center the string… it is 100% not worth it

1 Like

Well, that can be a point, but I think got a proper-sleeper few times, but after some secs. it started to be unbalanced again and then it did UFO >:(
Is the string bad centered, so I can’t do anything with it, or is it caused by bad yo-yo?

What yoyo are you using? Also, if it is your first yoyo keep practicing. The problem 95% of the time is caused by the person throwing the yoyo, not the yoyo.

1 Like

Yee-haw, I finnaly did it. The point was, I think - the right wrist twist.
BTW: The YO-YO is Duncan DragonFly.

Thanks to all of you, you can LOCK this thread :wink:

Let’s start here, throwing a good sleeper well is a bit tricker than we assume it will be when we first start out. C’mon, this is just a kid’s toy, right? Anybody can do this! Well, the truth is it is just like every thing else in life. If you want to do it well it takes a LOT of practice. You have to be patient with yourself. Think about the angle of your yoyo when you let go, snapping your wrist rather than just letting it drop. Like anything else in life, it takes practice. Perhaps more practice than you anticipated it would. So much of the struggles I continue to have mastering tricks is that I just don’t toss a reliable, strong sleeper all the time.

What yoyo are you using. You mentioned this is your first yoyo, is yours a throw which is going to allow you to throw a longer spin as a beginner. For example, many of us started out initially with something like the Duncan Imperial as they are the least expensive and seem the most logical place to start, which they are. However a fixed axle throw requires much more power, agility and skill to accomplish a satisfactory sleeper than one with a bearing axle.

(I am not saying anything derogatory about the Imperial here understand. I love the Imperial, the godfather of all contemporary yoyos. I own five or six and give them out as gifts on a regular basis. That said, it is so much easier to toss a long sleeper with a Raptor or Echo or even a Speed Beetle than the Imperial. I’m just saying.)

I’m rambling here, sorry. You just have to keep at it, it takes time to master every step along the way to becoming a great player. I’m not there yet and I have been at this a while. I met a kid last weekend who was light years ahead of me in skill level and he was just 10. And the real kick in the gut came when he told me he received his first yoyo for Christmas last year. He’s only been throwing for like 8 or 9 months and he is already competing and going home with prizes. He is also throwing quality equipment which helps a great deal.

I apologize for this long winded reply. I’ll wrap up my diatribe with this advise; be patient with yourself. Give yourself time to improve your throw. Make sure it is going down straight and not tipped. Concentrate on where your hand is when you let go. Give it a snap like a wet towel you are wanting to “pop” in the air. And think about what is a reasonable expectation for both your level of experience and the quality of your yoyo.

Okay, the Dragonfly is a good one to start with, it does have the bearing axle that will help. Please remember that it is a responsive throw so it can decide to grab a hold of the string and come back home before you thought you were ready for it, but it is a great first yoyo.

Anyway Programen, welcome to the sport. How old are you? We are thrilled to have you aboard! Do not hesitate to log on and ask questions anytime. There are many outstanding players here on this forum who are just full of excellent advise.

yes and no

the KK does make it easier for beginners to achieve if not straighter throws, but longer spin times and more stable feel.

it’s very important as it allows the player to focus on nailing the technique rather than keeping the spin alive.

of course, you will have to make up for this shortcut later on, but at least you don’t get as frustrated and it will make it significantly easier for beginners to land more advanced tricks early on.

After that and a few months, the player will have developed a straighter, stronger throw that will allow him to appreciate the difference between various yoyo specs and various bearings.

I know lots of people who started on KK, some keep using KKs after years and are doing very well. Myself, I never refrained to use KKs and I still do on some of my throws, specially for 5A. But this doesn’t mean that I don’t appreciate flats, some throws are just plain better with flats.

but I can now easily switch from flat to KK without noticing a difference in spin times or stability, KK allowed me to keep making progress while taking some of the frustration away, leaving room for more fun overall. Once the progress is down, KK or not, your throw will become better, straighter, stronger and then, there would be no other point of choosing between flat or KK than your own personal preference.

the only wrong way to play with a toy is the way that gives you more frustration than fun.

1 Like