Umbra axle loud squeaking when screwed shut?

i’ve only unscrewed my Umbra twice when i had to, but the second time it squeaked really loud. i had this happen to my first N12, then it stripped a week later. any suggestions on how to fix this?
and it introduced a noticeable amount of string vibe, not fingernail vibe though.

3 Likes

The squeaking is from the bearing seat being a bit tight. Just close it carefully and slowly and it should be fine. I’ve opened/closed my Umbras pretty frequently and haven’t had any of them strip, though a couple of them do squeak.

If you’re picking out knots I’d recommend a wooden toothpick or something similar. Saves time vs. unscrewing.

5 Likes

yeah, @FrankieJR gave me some wood knot pickers, and they work great.

3 Likes

PLEASE tell us when you get this problem worked out…it’s a sad situation.

1 Like

i will. :slight_smile:

Also, while you’re screwing it together, you can watch the gap to see whether it’s closing all the way. If it’s not closed 100% that can definitely cause vibe. Let me know how it turns out!

2 Likes

i will! it didn’t cause any fingernail vibe, but it did introduce string vibe.

1 Like

That’s odd. I usually notice fingernail vibe before vibe on the string.

6 Likes

Try fully pressing the bearing on to the bearing seat before screwing it together.

3 Likes

@jhb8426 yes, i shall try this, it sounds like it’ll fix it? but i don’t really know. :joy:

1 Like

I agree with this.

3 Likes

Did you resolve this problem?

3 Likes

not yet, but Mark’s sending some bearings that fit the Umbra a little looser.

3 Likes

got the bearings from @MarkD, and the vibe and squeaking is gone!
@MarkD
@ChrisFrancz
@Travelingyoyokid
@jhb8426
@Benmichael86
thank you all for the advice! :smiley:

4 Likes

I got a bad knot in my Topyo Mojo several months ago and took it apart very carefully. When I put it back together very carefully I got a very noticeable vibe. Does not effect the way it plays at all except for the very significant pulsing vibe. I switched axles and bearings and can not find or see any problems at all. I did not want to say this until you had your problem resolved because it may have made you lose hope with your brand new yoyo. I am glad you got it working it again!

2 Likes

that’s nice of you! but if the yoyo did fail, without me really beating it up, and it coming to me like that, i would have talked to Mark about replacing it.

1 Like

I know you have already resolved this issue, but I’d like to offer a little advise.

I like to lubricate tighter bearing seats (aka “tapers”). Especially ones that squeak, or feel especially snug. No need to go crazy excessive with it, just enough to coat the surface.

1 Like

thanks bro, i will look into that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any bearing lube should do, I was just pointing out that OD’s v4m says on the container that it can be used for posts too. That’s where I got the idea.

1 Like

good to know, thanks.