Types of string?

Can anyone explain what the difference between the different types of string is? I know that they are made of different materials but how does that affect game play.

So far iv only been able to play with cotton and slick 6 and i would like to know what else is available.

Is there a best string? Is one more resistant than the other?

What materials are they made of? Cotton/poly/kevlar… Anything else?

There are a lot of key factors in many different string companies/ people. Many have their own way of twisting them and the materials, ect to get different playing styles out of the string they make. Which is why there’s a lot to choose from. But to my attention that’s about it, it’s the way they make string varies from material ex. Poly/Nylon/ Kevlar/ silk and the list goes on, to the method that each individual, company or person, twists their string.
The method the string is made/ material will always change the way a string plays compared to others.

Take G string for example, go on the site
http://www.yoyogstring.com/
and check out all of the different formats out there. I believe Chaos string is still around so check them out http://www.chaosyoyos.com/

I hope this helps.

I was kinda wondering the same thing.
I bought a bunch of 100% cotton of the thicker kind (8 something?) and they don’t seem to last as long (and seem to come unwound a lot easier) as what has come with some of my yo-yos, but I don’t know what kind of string that is. It is a little thinner I think, and wound tighter. Is that the way 100% cotton typically is, or just thicker string? Or a combination of both I suppose…

100% cotton wears quickly. Some people prefer it for the feel it gives. But most people play blends or synthetics. Your yoyos most likely came with slick 6 (50/50 cotton ploy blend)

1 Like

poly is what i use. kevlar lasts a long time

One site lists:

"White Brazilian Mondo String 100 Percent Polyester
We have a great source for some great 100% polyester handmade Brazilian string. This string holds a loop better than most poly string, and is smooth and strong for great play."

Has anyone here tried it? is is as good as they claim? ???