Two wheels! (the riding bikes thread)

For some reason, bike riding is one of those hobbies that seem to be really popular with yoyo throwers. And why not? Riding bikes is a ton of fun. Not to mention, you know, good for the environment and your health.

MTB, road, gravel, BMX, dirtjump, fixie, beach cruiser, even (sigh)…ebike.

Share what you’re riding these days! Tell us where you’re letting your wheels roll!

9 Likes

I’m currently stoked about converting my gravel/road bike to fatty 650b tires. So much fun to roll around town on.

14 Likes

My second summer on an EVIL Wreckoning, angry dolphin colorway. I love flying my mountain bike. I’ve been riding gravity most of this summer but I’m currently spending more time sessioning and doing a little more xc. I also have a 27.5 Yeti and a 26 Intense Uzzi that I ride on occasion.

3 Likes

I want to get into road or track/fixie as there isn’t much mtb places around where I live but I ride my Giant atx 2 right now.

2 Likes

I always forget how much I enjoy road riding until I get around to doing it. I’m much more mountain or “in town” or even dirtjump/skatepark focused. But it’s always been the case that once I actually get out on a road ride, I remember how enjoyable it it. Reminds me of riding with my grandfather back in the day.

And you end up seeing so many random things as you roll along. If you aren’t a HARDCOREROADIE, you can ride with other people and have conversations. It can be more social than other kinds of riding. That said, I don’t think I’m ever going to be a serious road rider. I guess maybe I could get into bike touring someday? But…probably not,

Fixie/track riding…not for me. Not interested in racing and I find fixie sketchball for in-town riding around here. But respect to anyone who enjoys those things. Just not for me.

2 Likes

I raced road for a few years. It wears you out, just with the amount of time it takes to maintain peak form. The rate of burnout is high at all levels of racing. Even amateurs are hyper competitive. Lot of alpha personalities. It definitely takes a certain mentality to be able to do well and still enjoy it.
There are plenty of “social” groups out there but even still that competitive mindset will find its way into the ride and people start trying to rip each other’s legs off.

3 Likes

I’m in a great location for mountain biking. Fruita, Grand Junction, Durango, Cortez, Dolores, Moab, Telluride, and Ridgway are all a short drive and of course the local trails. I could ride a different trail every single day for weeks.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I’ve always heard about racing. Oddly enough, the one kind of racing I’ve considered was maybe trying old-man BMX racing. Mostly just to up my MTB bike control skills. That said, I bet I don’t do it because I just don’t care about being competitive in any of my hobbies.

1 Like

Yeah I started on bmx as a kid. My parents didn’t have the time or money to travel for races, so I ended up getting into trails and street. Eventually got into mtb once I could afford to. Road came last. Never thought I’d be kitting up in spandex lol
Bmx racing is pretty mellow, as far as the racers. But, it’s definitely still racing

1 Like

Enviable for sure. I do a lot of riding in central TX. It’s fun, but it’s nothing like big mountain riding. Plus we don’t have really great soil. Imagine concrete covered in a mix of sand and marbles at 20 plus mph lol, not exactly confidence-inspiring in the corners

1 Like

MTB and Cyclocross as much as I can.

10 Likes

I rode as my primary transportation in the Mpls/StP area, up until last year. This thread is inspiring me to get back on the bike. This is my main ride, it’s nothing special, but it’s a decent around town year 'round ride.

8 Likes

My wife’s family is really big into cycling. They have a garage full of bikes, travel the country to go to races, and her step brother races collegiately. However, I’m a bit fat and lazy, and therefore do not do these things :joy:

4 Likes

I rode a fixie for 4 years. It was lots of fun. Then I had a kid. Switched to single speed Soni can haul him in a little trailer. It is also lots of fun!

4 Likes

Speaking of bike trailers…

3 Likes

I used to ride a bunch, then hurt my back. Nineteen years later, with little exercise in between, I was walking from my car into work, and a coworker I wouldn’t have expected rides up behind me. Thanks to her, that made me think, I can do this. I got a hybrid (for a little more upright position) and for the last several weeks I have been riding in once a week about 8 miles one way with a good hill or two on the way home. I make better time on most days due to all of the stop and go traffic (not including a quick shower at work). I have even worked in a couple of weekend rides with my 25 year old son. Bikes are fun.

7 Likes

Im from the uk and ride downhill

8 Likes

Just to make it clear that I don’t only ride a road bike…

10 Likes

Posted this earlier and I’ma keep this updated here.

I’m not an active cyclist atm. Used to longboard everywhere before my disability kicked me in the sack and I had to quit.

Now as I’m getting better, but not so good I could longboard again anytime soon, I’ve been looking into recumbent bikes and cycling as a form of exercise. Let’s see where this leads me :smiley:

2 Likes

I’m super interested in anyone who is doing frame-building of any sort. I find it to be a really cool project.

Also, my mom got a recumbent a few years back for health reasons, she says it’s really nice. I keep meaning to give it a try when I visit her.

3 Likes