Two new releases from YYF - JDS Shutter & The IQ!

JDS Shutter:

New addition to the Gentry Stein signature Shutter lineup - The JDS Shutter!

SUS Mechanics has been working with Japan Design Studios to reimagine the Shutter! Just as they did with the bi-metal Shutter the result is superb. This is a super stable yo-yo with beefed up rims. It almost feels like a Bi-metal 3A yoyo. The look is undeniably Shutter the play is an amazing take on the classic!

IQ:

Sometimes it’s best to start with a blank canvas. We have SO MUCH design heritage to draw on to produce something new, but rarely do we start a project that isn’t tightly aligned with a single player, something competitors could use and potentially pick up player editions of in the future.

The IQ is made for the clever player who can identify current trends and the requrements expected of a competitive player by the judges. It is flashy and ultimately a 100% performer. It doesnt just play. It outplays!

16 Likes

I have put a LOT of time in on both of these if anyone has any questions

22 Likes

Jds shutter specs not showing @YoYoExpertGarrett

womp womp… I’ll make sure to get specs up first thing tomorrow. In the meantime maybe @yyfben2.deactivated can share them?

5 Likes

JDs shutter key SPECS:
64.4gm
43.6mm wide
55.9mm dia

6 Likes

Not a question, but the IQ looks niiice

3 Likes

Also not a question, but I just bought a JDS Shutter. And I was never even a Shutter fan, that’s just a solid design. :+1:

11 Likes

What color tho?

2 Likes

JDS shutter is my favorite shutter, beating out the shu-ta. Definitely worth trying. The IQ is my second favorite YYF release this year, the metavity is still my favorite. The IQ really responds to my inputs the way I want it to, it feels great in the hand, is very very stable and powerful without feeling sluggish, it can play fast as I want and changes direction easily enough. I’d say metavity and IQ have a lot in common in terms of the way they feel and move, even though they are very different yoyos.
If you like the super stable rock solid play of many Turning Point bimetals you will find a lot to like in the IQ, if you’re looking for something super fast and agile like a humming bird or a draupnir then this probably won’t be your ideal throw.

9 Likes

Thanks for the helpful impressions! How does the width feel?

2 Likes

I like wide yoyos, and I find the width on both the JDS and the IQ to fit very well with the rest of the proportions of the yoyo. The shutter is pretty standard in terms of width, and looking at the specs you’d expect the IQ to feel really wide. The IQ doesn’t feel crazy wide like an umbra, or a edge ultimatum or even a shutter wide angle, the width feels very in place with the rest of the yoyo, if anything it just feels easier to catch.

6 Likes

Black with pink (purple?) engraving obviously. :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

What do you mean by ‘a LOT of time in on both of these’? Do men designing, producing, playing… ?

3 Likes

Play.
I put in 80hrs + on IQ which might be More than probably anything we have ever released.

11 Likes

Both are very tempting to get. Kind of disappointed I missed the mystery box for these.

1 Like

Here is 2 minutes of my 80 hours.

With IQ we have a lofty plan.

No more than 144 per colorway.

No colorway repeated

Player editions starting 2022

It’s kinda ambitious to put this on a new yoyo but the stunning looks and noticeably awesome play characteristics have given me a fair bit of confidence.

33 Likes

Snap. If there’s a Betty edition in pink I’m super down. The colors are the only thing stopping me RN.

Edit: sick freestyle!

3 Likes

4 throws, regens and a LOT of different moves. Awesome tricks!

3 Likes

How does the JDS Shutter handle fingerspins compared to the Wide Angle? Is the fingerspin cup on the JDS the same diameter as the Wide Angle or is it a larger diameter like the regular Shutter?

Thanks!
Ivan

5 Likes

Does the iq have fingerspin capabilities ??because it looks like it has a glossy and metallic finish inside the cup. So I was wondering if it can fingerspin for a fair amount of time ??

1 Like