New from YYF: The Gentry Stein Shutter - OG Specs - Special edition!

@Gentry_Stein has now sold over 100,000 signature yo-yos making him the most successful professional player to endorse a yoyo in the modern age! To celebrate, YoYoFactory has produced a run of his signature shutter in the original specifications with a killer deal! You can snag a classic Shutter in these four colors for $34.99. Deal ends June 14th!

11 Likes

Glad to see yoyoexpert now has these. Cause I know they’ve been out for a week or 2 now.

I built these!

18 Likes

Does this mean that all these years YYF has been selling us a worse version of the shutter?

1 Like

worse for who? It’s all preferences.

The original Shutter is heavier, in a recent thread on this forum, being heavy was portrayed as bad, but to some, it is desirable.

In terms of precision, finish and overall performance, I would rate these as some of my favorite Shutters we have ever produced, and at that price, Also the best value.

14 Likes

This number is staggering to me.

@yyfben2.deactivated do you have a specification comparison for the different Shutters? YYE has the same specs listed for all of them it seems.

3 Likes

Yeah I didn’t realize there was a change in weight

1 Like

In Gentry’s words, this spec, which was used to win worlds, has more stability and spin time, to me that sounds better, at least for competing. Maybe I’m confused and it’s always been the same shutter.

These are the ones listed as “Classic Shutter Promo Edition”?

A huge number and quite the accomplishment…but I can’t think of any clip I’ve seen from Gentry that doesnt include “BUY A SHUTTER” lol

I also just realized I typed this with a shutter in hand :rofl:

3 Likes

The weight of the shutter on the spec sheet on yoyoexpert right now is the original shutter’s weight. Yoyoexpert never updated the weight of the shutter across the runs and they also usually don’t do so:

Later runs of the shutter reduced the weight by a bit to 66 grams and then to 64.4 grams, which is the current shutter’s weight.

1 Like

I guess I have the middleweight version. Showing 66.5g.

Kinda curious about the heavier one though.

1 Like

You can get the heavier one right now! The OG Specs they are talking about and discounting is the heavier one (67.8g).

2 Likes

correct.

Manufacturers dont typically inform us of any design tweaks, so if a yoyo has the same name it gets put it on the page without rechecking specs. I missed that post about the Almighty specs though, I’ll make a note to change those. :+1:

4 Likes

Ah I see. Manufacturers should inform though, it’s quite important to consumers. Well if I find anymore specs that have changed I’ll be sure to bring it up to you!

Definitely, feel free to send me a PM if you notice anything that needs to be changed/edited on pages. :+1:

3 Likes

Are you as good as Gentry?
Maybe its not better for you.

1 Like

How important actually is it? as no brand has ever done it and right now you are learning this for the first time… should every yoyo be spec’ed in case there is variance between one yoyo in a run and another? what if you buy a yoyo and the specs are different from that advertised? 1gm? .5 gm? .1gm? .01gm? what variance is acceptable?

If you buy 5 examples of any brand and weigh them you will probably find some variance, so the specs are almost always ‘bad’.

In theory, every yoyo is identical, but they art and anyone who tells you otherwise is um…

1 Like

Does it really matter how good I am? I’m nowhere near Gentry’s level and I don’t see the point in you asking me. Instead you have ignored my question and questioned my ability with a yoyo, which has nothing to do with what we were talking about.

To ask you again, this spec has more stability and spin time, does that sound like a better yoyo to you?

Im not questioning your ability, just your determination that one set of specs is BETTER than another, which you actually questioned in the first place.

Its preference… based on SKILL and TRICK COMPOSITION.

Gentry started doing more change of direction and regain tricks. At the time, stability was a negative and spin time was irrelevant as he generated enough spin out of the lighter weight.

If a certain set of specs were absolutely better we would just make 1 yoyo at the better specs and everyone would play with it… but people are different.

2 Likes