New from YYF: The Gentry Stein Shutter - OG Specs - Special edition!

All right, that’s all I was asking. I don’t have a determination that one is better than the other, I’m just asking. I know you answered it with the first reply, but I had to make sure with the 2nd question. Thanks.

Well first, I’m not learning this for the first time. I have known about the weight of the shutter changing between the runs for a long time but I’ve never brought it up. I fully understand that there are variances between each yoyo of one run, @codinghorror has done a post like this. Specs may not seem important to you since you know exactly how each of your yoyos play.

But it’s important to consumers when we are deciding on which yoyo to buy. We can’t buy every yoyo that comes out yeah. We usually don’t get the chance to play with the yoyo first and so the specs and how the yoyo looks is our first contact and usually the determiner in purchasing a yoyo or not. There’s a huge lack of reviews on many throws and most aren’t very helpful either, so most of us just buy a yoyo based on the specs and how they look. For someone like me, I wouldn’t buy anything above 66g under normal circumstances and thus the shutter would be immediately out of my consideration since it’s specified weight is 67.8g. But if that were changed to 64.4g, I might possibly buy it. For someone like @Glenacius_K , he is hesitant to get anything under 66g, so he might purchase the shutter and then find that it doesn’t play like it’s advertised weight, too light for him, “wasting” his money.

All in all, it’s important because specs give us a first impression of the yoyo and informs us a little on it’s characteristics in play. We all know that first impressions are important and so relatively accurate spec sheets are actually important in marketing a yoyo. It plays a significant role in consumers’ decision to buy a yoyo. After that however, it doesn’t matter much once we have bought the yoyo. I reckon most people won’t bother with measuring the weight of the yoyo after they bought it to see how accurate it is. It’s whether the yoyo plays to their expectations or not that matters afterwards. Hope this gives you a better understanding of the consumer’s perspective.

In the case of the shutter, each change in weight was pretty significant at almost 2 grams so I think that the specs should be updated if there’s such a big change in weight. Any change in the other dimensions like diameter, width and gap width should also be updated since those usually have very little variance. It’s to present an accurate impression of the yoyo you’re selling.

7 Likes

I respect this need / desire and almost 100% certain we never published a spec for shutter originally just to avoid any potential to mislead anyone. It was a cop out. We kicked the responsibility to retailers to buy a scale and calipers + a camera to take photos to give accurate representations of product. More recently, We have started spec’ing product and supplying stock photos. I do t know if it will increase accurate information being available to the consumer but that is the aim.

With shutter, nothing had really changed in 5 years and we didn’t re-spec anything or see a need. This run was different, we published new specs. If this run is mixed with stock from other runs… it’s going to get confusing. Its quite problematic at times. With shutter as the best example we have made about 60 batches. The average weight has varied probably every batch. Mostly by small numbers but still there is variance. For me to track what batch is in what store and make sure the store is indicating the correct weight and maybe multiple weight options at any one time is possible… just not on a yoyo that also made its name for breaking price and value barriers. Edge changed weight by less, was dubbed edge 1.5. Shutter wide has changed, we avoided the 1.5 moniker and have now standardized a weigh but have not surveyed retailer specs to confirm what they are listing at.
‘Shutter batch 30 was the best’ is something I don’t ever want to get into especially when they are all good.

Anyways, I know ppl shop by colors :rofl::joy:

4 Likes

I see. But unintentionally (I assume), the average weight of the shutters seems to have decreased gradually over the many batches such that the small variances have resulted in a 3.4g decrease in weight of the shutter. The fact that you have released the shutter in OG specs is an acknowledgment of this phenomenon.

Hopefully you would re-spec the next batch of “normal” shutters to get retailers to update their spec sheets to be consistent with yours (which right now shows 65.5g). A lot of retailers still have the weight of 67.8g on their spec sheets so I think now is a good time to update it to fit the current shutter’s weight. Thank you.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, who was the actual designer of the OG Shutter? It’s a hall of famer at this point and the designer should get credit IMO.

4 Likes

Agreed. @yyfben2.deactivated ?

I weighed a handful of these. They’re all 66g. Plays great, but so do all shutters! :grin:

5 Likes

Hardcore @Gentry_Stein fans now have a legitimate excuse to own 60 Shutters. Collect them all. My 2016 champ edition from batch 12 still plays the best though.

1 Like

It was deliberate, it just got lost 5 years ago.

A re-spec of everything sounds like a good idea.

3 Likes

Ooo interesting, I thought they would be 67.8g which seems to be the weight of the very first batch of shutters.

1 Like

Excellent! Hope to see it happen soon!