Six-Year History of the Shutter!

Lovely video by @Gentry_Stein on the history of the Shutter with each model released over the years!!

Sounds like a small Shutter promotion is about to go live here as well.

17 Likes

Yes! :blush:

7 Likes

This video is the answer to that ↑ ↑ ↑

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Shutter is arguably the only undisputed “all time classic” yo-yo design from the modern era of 2013 onward.

4 Likes

“This one feels super good, cuz now it got the center-trac in it”

2 Likes

Definitely not the future: flat bearings.

I also personally like the purity of the Shutter design, it’s been quite stable other than tweaks (and the wide angle) since 2013. Compare with the utter explosion :boom: of radically different Edge models… and then the Edge is kiiiiind of a copy of the Kuntosh, isn’t it? :thinking:

And IMNSHO the Shutter has a very, very good shape, a nearly-ideal hybrid of aspects of V, H, O, W.

2 Likes

I think if we were to look back at 2013 and name the yoyos from that year which have had the greatest impact on yoyoing, it would have to be the Shutter and the Draupnir.

I’m a little annoyed that I just bought a WA Shutter and missed out on this new promotion. This kind of thing has happened to me before. Oh well. sigh

5 Likes

Sure. If the protostar never existed.

1 Like

I agree with everything you’ve said in this thread so much that it hurts

1 Like

Do you mean the original, original Edge? That was more of a general W shape, yeah.

Is the kuntosh W shape?

What’s the earliest yoyo the term W can apply to?

2 Likes

I mean like the protostar, less sharp edges. I personally like the sharp edges!

Here’s protostar on the left, followed by various Edge models.

Putting them side by side, I guess it’s true that the mono Edge retained that un-sharp W of the OG bimetal Edge, but I’d say Edge Beyond, Monster Edge, Plastic Edge, and Delrin Edge all went with sharp W – a clear sense of evolution, to the point that Edge as a series, in my mind, is all about that bass sharp edged W.

I think poly edge also is a copy of the OG Edge, so less-sharp W. I grabbed two from my collection and took this pic to illustrate the difference.

5 Likes

Appreciate such an information laden post!

I see the same design philosophy running through all of them. protostar ran a different direction to the curves that preceded it. Evan ran further with it and gave them his own flair I can’t speak of where he started his process or got his inspiration or if it was someone else who ran with this same design philosophy but I know where he wanted to put the weight and the best way to put weight in a yoyo is in its shape. If you look at the point Edge is weighted in steel and expand that in a lighter material it squares up pretty quick.

That last photo maybe shows it off the best! The steel hides the mass making a sleeker faster yoyo

5 Likes

I agree that the Edges are all basically W shapes, just like the Küntosh and the ProtoStar (and the RockStar and the NorthStar and the OneStar and the…). However, those never stray into the >= 46mm wide territory that all of Evan’s yoyos do.

Yeah it’s a W, nobody said otherwise. Kuntosh is also a W

Still, two observations based on the data above

1. Edge is getting more Kuntosh-y (sharp edged W) over time, just check out the pics above ↑ ↑

2. The “design language” of the Shutter is much more consistent over time. Which is why I brought this up in the first place. Edge can’t seem to decide if it is a Kuntosh-y sharp W or a traditional softer W

Not the first time this has come up either…

For the record I like sharp W a lot, so the idea that the Edge is fundamentally a sharp W design, is just fine by me. The OG Edge is the anomaly here!

:thinking: I’ve never even touched a shutter. I’ve been curious about them, I think I’d go for a regular over a wa. Eventually, that is.

2 Likes

No harm in giving one a go if you pick one up cheap. I got one for £18 a while back and played with it for a while then sold it. I can’t say I have missed it at all.

2 Likes

I just got a Wide Angle and I thought I’d be turned off by the width. I don’t even really notice it except when I’m benefited by it. I totally understand the trend of wide yo-yos from a performance perspective now.

The two previous wider yo-yos I had (not quite as wide as the WA, 46.4 and 47.25 mm wide) didn’t do it for me and made me think I didn’t like anything over 46. The inner cut of the Shutter eliminated the clunkiness of the width for me and just gives an insane catch zone.

3 Likes

What were the other 2 yos?

Selene and Statement. The Statement was worse than the Selene in this regard even though it’s not as wide. I loved the way the Statement felt and how it played for more movement based stuff that didn’t require a lot of manipulation around string, but
something about that bell shape with wider rims made it less intuitive to me for denser stuff.

That’s more on me than the yo-yo though, I’m really used to organicish v shapes and didn’t take the time to adjust to a different shape. I just like my Breeze so much for both focused and relaxed play that I didn’t see a need for the Statement in my collection. Great yo-yo though.

1 Like

You make me want a breeze so bad, because we share the issues I have with the Statement, and they seem to the be resolved in the breeze.