Trying to learn Beef hook

I have been trying for a minute to land this trick here is a video of few attempts. Could use some advice on what I’m doing wrong, I have several momentum slack tricks down and been yoyoing for 20 years so basics I know

3 Likes

Yoyorecreation has a great tutorial on beef hook that really helped me.

Something I learned from that tutorial, and I recommend to you, is try throwing the yoyo slightly forward instead of just to your non throw hand, it stretches the string out and opens up that loop to do a hook. There’s also a timing piece of bringing the non throw hand finger into the string to speed up the string as it wraps around your finger and catches the yoyo.

3 Likes

Thank you

Something I found useful when I was learning beefhook was using an extra long string. A string with a few extra inches than what you normally use. I found the longer string helpful because you can see the movements of the string more and you also have more string to go around for the hook.

1 Like

Thank you and I have some longer string

1 Like

One more thing I found helpful that I dont see mentioned much in tutorials is the release from your pointer finger. I like to keep the string around the top joint of my pointer finger or slightly above it. It gives you more power and helps you flick the string harder. Messing around with that might help some. Hope this helps a little.

1 Like

Appreciate it

1 Like

Beefhook was one of those tricks that frustrated me for way too long lol, but what helped me get it a few years back to where I can do it perfectly every time was a couple things - here’s a checklist of sorts you can use:

  1. Just make sure before you start that string tension is good or else you can faggettaboutit lol

  2. Point your throwhand pointer up a bit to help catch that loop - not straight up, but like, maybe 160 degrees or so up

  3. Get the yoyo as close to your throwhand pointer as you can when you’re trying to catch it. The farther away it is, the harder it will be to land. Note that the yoyo should always be to the right side of your pointer, never the left (on the catch).

  4. Give the slack some momentum by almost “flicking” off with your non-throwhand pointer towards your throwhand as you release

  5. Ever so slightly (!!!) pull your non throwhand thumb slightly back & point it slightly down - this is an extremely subtle movement, but I did find that it helped for whatever reason. By the time the loop lands, you want your right hand to be slightly higher and more forward than your left hand.

Don’t give up! Definitely one of the most satisfying feeling tricks that becomes “auto-pilot” eventually, super fun to do when you just want to have a relaxed, mindless throwing sesh.

4 Likes

Thank you and determined to figure out

3 Likes

An observation I am running into

when I flick it to the left the slack completes rotation cleanly, but when I try to guide it to the right to set up it binds when I add power where normally it doesn’t completely the rotation and drops halfway

Curious if you could help with this exact issue

inconsistent hit vs. wrong-string outcome

I kind of imagine the yoyo monkey branching to my finger rather than catching it with a big loop like a hook, idk if that makes sense hahah.

That somewhat makes sense, I noticed unconsciously I lean towards treating it like hook which isn’t working

1 Like

This has always been a trick I hit like 1 out of 50 attempts.

2 Likes

Took me thousands of tries. Brandon Vu has a nice tutorial on it

1 Like

Something in this video that stood out to me and the same thing that helped me with Stalls is making sure to lock that throw hand in place and keep my focus on the stationary hand where I want the action to happen instead of focusing on the moving hand. This has given me perspective into what I haven’t seen happening/not happening until now. Now I can see the changes affect the loop I’m trying to catch. Three more years and I’ll have it. :smiley::flushed_face:

1 Like

@smileypants707

3 Likes

It’s funny because it’s true.

1 Like

Look at this first tutorial posted in this thread it is the most comprehensive from a technical standpoint on how the hands and slack interact and the outcomes of those interactions. It is a trick that you need to get the feel for, but to try to help you with the video that you posted I’ll make some specific suggestions.

  1. First attempt. Your hands pulled apart too quickly and/or just aren’t close enough together. You also are launching the yoyo BETWEEN your hands. This will make it impossible to catch unless you change your technique entirely, which I wouldn’t recommend. Typically you want it on the outside (for righties that is to the right) of your TH.

  2. Your second attempt was on the correct side, but the release trajectory would also make it very difficult to catch. Trying launching the yoyo straight up. The amount of release height you are going for depends on preference. The tutorial goes into the two different methods to make it work.

1 Like

I had to explain the trick to my fiance to understand and tell her I’m determined

1 Like