Having trouble with Beef Hook

I am having trouble with landing the loop, I can form the look but can’t land the yoyo. Please help, it would be great!

4 Likes

I practiced the beef hook for like 9 months every day and now I can hit it consistently.

This is probably the best tutorial out there.

Really- just focus on getting that loop as big as possible and to “whip” around your finger.

From there you can start to get it around the yo-yo and catch it- but a lot of people get stuck trying to even get the loop around and get frustrated and quit. I would start there

5 Likes

I’m still very horrible with this trick, maybe a 1/50 chance of landing it but a few factors have helped me:
-Longer string, helps with getting a large loop
-Smol yoyo, seems easier for the string to whip around

I think I’m gonna check this tutorial out as well, would like to play with some stuff once I’m in the said hook to see what I can come up with.

1 Like

I got these locked up good now and I agree longer string helps, this mrmatio tutorial is fire, and it takes a lot of practice and attempts, like thousands for me. I got these consistent by emphasizing the pull of the thumb in the direction towards yourself like that was the last thing that had them really start clicking for me to get the aim right but it’s mostly about timing. Oooo and string torsion matters like don’t waste attempts by trying this with your string all twisted bc it won’t work right. Good luck

2 Likes

What helped me was: when you do the hook bring TH upwards slightly, let the yoyo kind of hop up toward your NTH when you do it.

1 Like

Lately I’ve noticed that adding just a touch of lateral movement towards my body as i swing the yoyo under my finger seems to help. I feel like a big part of it is just getting the speed of the toss and the speed given to the loop to match up.

2 Likes

100% you have zero chance of hitting it unless your tension is zero. Good cal out

2 Likes

I watched the tut posted last night and attempted the trick this morning id say 10 times.

I like beef so we plan on hooking up in the next however long.

2 Likes

i’m at about a 70% success rate on this. what i found is that if i bring my NTH back slightly as I let the string slide off the finger, it helps to form the loop better. then it’s all a matter of timing. as stated above, there needs to be very little string tension. none is best but it can be landed with a little. i’d say that practicing with as little tension as possible would likely yield the best results. so, maybe reset after every few throws.

good luck.

practice, practice, practice.

enjoy the throw my friends.
kgb

2 Likes

this is one of my favorite tricks to do and one of the things that helped with consistency and control was imaging that i was standing inside of a square and would keep the yoyo from leaving the square. it also helps to hold your hands lower than usual to get a birds eye view of whats going on with the string

1 Like

So I really took the time to break down the movements of this trick bc it’s all about doing the small things correctly to land it consistently.

Biggest tip I can give (and this isn’t explained in ANY tutorial) move your NTH across your body first. It should end up almost directly over your TH.

Step 1- move NTH across your body and stop above TH.
Step 2- start swinging NTH across in a motion like you’re drawing the mouth on a smiley face.
Step 3- Wait until your NTH is as far across your body as possible before releasing the slack loop. You should be tossing the yoyo almost straight up but it should fall down and slightly toward your TH side.
Step 4- Start moving NTH slowly back under yoyo. You should be intercepting the string a UNDER the yoyo but on the TH of it. Just enough that it can fall into the slack loop without hitting your finger.

Focus on small details and you’ll get the feel. When you’re releasing the yoyo to toss it up, your arms should be crossed and your TH should be as far over to your NTH side as possible and yoyo is released on the up swing.

Hope this makes sense. You’ll have to adjust how hard you’re tossing depending on the yoyo and how much it weighs. Also use as long a string as you can tolerate when learning. Allows for loop to be as large as possible.

Good luck friend

2 Likes