Master Of The Beef Hook (Easier Than You Think)

I can officially say that I have MASTERED the beef hook. As you can see in this video I landed it 5 times in a row. It’s actually pretty simple when you focus on one simple trick. I know there are a ton of tutorials but let me know If you want me to make one explaining how I approach this trick.

Yo-yo used is the Inception by @FewandFarBetween

28 Likes

Learning this now, seriously been nearly only practicing this for 4-5 days now.

I can hit it maybe 30% of the time. Would LOVE a deeper tutorial!!!’

7 Likes

Absolutely!

3 Likes

Count me in! This one eludes me.

4 Likes

I find beefhook to be the MOST dependant on string tension and string freshness, to the point where I would say only bother trying to learn it with a brand new string. I change my string almost daily. I’m no master but have been consistently getting better and I do find I’m about 50% more likely to hit it with a fresh string

5 Likes

Tension is important but I don’t think freshness matters. I’ll work on that video soon

5 Likes

If @Tef uses 100% poly string then the fresh sting matters a lot more than if it’s a blend or just straight nylon. I prefer 100% poly myself but the effort it takes to manage whips and slacks definitely increases as the sting degrades, which obviously happens a lot faster than with nylon.

2 Likes

Would love another tutorial on this. I’m at a point where I think I’m doing approximately the right motion. The slack whips round and often makes contact with my finger, but almost never catches. I very occasionally (maybe once out of a 15 minutes practicing nothing else) land it, but I’ve no idea what I did differently on those occasions, and somehow my eyes aren’t fast enough to see what is going wrong on the failures, so I don’t really know in what way I need to be changing things up. I kind of suspect that maybe the loop isn’t opening up, which some folks seem to suggest means you need to move your NTH back further to cause the loop to open, but that seems to give me a much smaller slack (and also I’m kinda guessing this is is the problem).

It just struck me from your video that it’s way clearer what is going on in your video than it is to me when I watch myself do it in real life. So maybe I need to video myself doing it and it will be clearer what is going wrong.

5 Likes

Going to put a tutorial out soon

7 Likes

dude, i took inspiration from you and only worked on one trick for about 48 hours, and I’ve got my jade whip down like 75% of the time, up from 0% of the time prior to starting lol. jade whip isn’t as cool as beef hook, but its major progress for me.

2 Likes

That’s so cool to hear! That’s how I master a trick… I just spend days getting reps in until I figure out what makes the trick “click”. If it is tooooo hard after a few days of trying, I leave it where it is, learn a new trick, then go back to that one and put some more reps in. Keep up the great work!

4 Likes

Video looked cool, beef hook next in line to learn. Looking forward to the tutorial.

1 Like

You might be letting go of the loop on your index finger too early, but yes this trick is 90% managing that slack loop. You can see in the video @Theycallmecotton posted how close his hands are when he goes to let go of the loop, then the motion of moving the hands apart after releasing the loop is what helps to control the slack loop to make sure it comes around

4 Likes

@Theycallmecotton , how is the tutorial coming along? Is it still on your plate?

2 Likes

Yessir! Ill get that out in the next few days for you

2 Likes

Looking forward to it. I’m ever so close but it just won’t land. My biggest issue I think is getting the hook strings to space out or separate.

3 Likes

I’ve been working on a pretty cool tension hook to beef hook. Tension hook is no problem but I’m not landing the beef hook too often. “@&);!

Help!! :slight_smile:

Somehow Beefhook just started to click!! Hitting it now and is so satisfying!! Definitely not a trick that any regular spectator will appreciate but MAN, IM SO GLAD! It was maddening. Reps reps reps and more reps… it will happen for you.

3 Likes

That’s what happened to me. Made zero sense, then one day boom, I am get it 9/10 times.

Not the flashiest, but for those in the know it’s so hard

2 Likes

Same story here lol. So happy its consistent now though.

1 Like