Beefhook help

So when I try this trick the string loop whips around my TH finger but I’m not really sure what it’s supposed to catch. Anyone have any advice?

7 Likes

Lol. You and me both. Ive tried beefhook probably 80 times. Yet to land it once. Its perplexing since the set up is so simple and ive watched all the tutorials on it but i haven’t even gotten lucky one time. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

I still haven’t attempted this…whenever this trick comes up I think of @smileypants707 lmao

4 Likes

Ya. Maybe he can chime in. I recently saw one his vids where he makes it look easy. Or at least i think it was him.

1 Like

Try learning dumshot first, so you get used to the string going over your finger. Beefhook is really similar in execution except you don’t “push” with your finger.

3 Likes

It does a -1.5 Hook.

OK. After hearing so many times about how this trick is impossible despite looking so simple I finally caved and just tried to learn it.

An hour in I’m landing it about half the time and Ive realized something. It’s an extremely precise trick and there’s a lot more nuances to it than the simple tutorial would lead you to think.

I can see people trying to learn this trick for a long time either without 1. really understanding what the string is actually doing or 2. doing the same incorrect motion over and over again and wondering why it’s not working

First thing I did as I do with any new whip trick I’m trying to learn is breaking it down and understanding what the string is happening. At first I thought the yoyo was supposed to go around your finger but after watching the tutorial I found out that wasn’t the case. The yoyo is supposed to stay on the right side of your TH while the string loops around.

What the string is doing is when you intersect the string with your TH the yoyo pops up and while it’s “stationary” in the air the trapeze loop whips around the top of the yoyo, then it hits your TH index on the left side of the yoyo, continues to whip around until the the front string of the loop whips under the catch zone of the yoyo, the yoyo falls and lands on that front string and you end in a -1.5 hook mount.

The first 20 minutes or so I tried a lot of different things. Longer string, shorter string, whippier string, adjusting how big of a loop I’m giving when I intersect the string, where my TH hits when I intersect the string, the speed of the swing, the yoyo trajectory when I intersect and release the string, etc.

Biggest thing I found is you want to pop the yoyo up almost 90 degrees so it can get some hang time. Pushing your NTH index down as you release the string can give it some extra momentum for the loop to whip around as well.

@smileypants707 what was your learning process for this trick? Seems like you had a very hard time figuring this trick out lol

I will say the timing and trajectory and everything is pretty precise. I found that I have periods where I’m hitting it much more frequently than usual then I go through a dry spell where I’m just missing a lot more. It’s not really stressful to practice though because it really is simple and short so I can attempt it like 10+ times a minute

11 Likes

I’ve been working on this lately, too - still pretty inconsistent, but I’ve made some progress. To things that helped me a bit:

• after you let the loop go from your NTH, move your NTH a little closer to your body. Seems to help the loop open up more.

• try it with a smaller diameter yoyo. The loop is smaller than in a regular hook and having a smaller yoyo seems to make it easier to get the loop all the way over. I can hit it on all my yoyos, but I’m most consistent with a Snack.

@andy569 is right about the timing and trajectory, too.

3 Likes

Ill put some time aside tonight to give it a another go. All the tips are appreciated. One thing i do have to remind myself when learning something new is to not get stuck doing the same movements expecting it to magically work. Ive fell into that rut before.

1 Like

Things I’ve found that can help:

1. Holding your NTH slightly higher than your TH.
  2. Start from a double or nothing instead of a trapeze - it can help you build momentum (how I do it in the video)
    3a. Bring your hands closer together to give yourself a bigger loop to work with
    3b. Work on your release point when tossing the yoyo and loop over - this is probably the hardest part of the trick because you have to release it just right
  3. Pull your NTH a little bit towards your body to help open up the loop
  4. Fix your string tension if it seems like the loop just isn’t opening up
4 Likes

These are great tips. Gives me lots to work with. Thanks everyone!

1 Like

This trick has boiled my blood more than any other to date.

My learning process for this one is still a thing. I have only successfully landed this trick one time (I think…). Good advise though, I might have to try implementing some of it

2 Likes

Maybe post a video of a few of your attempts.

So far I’ve found it’s a pretty specific motion for it, hard to be sloppy and still get it like with hook or Brent stole

If you’ve only landed it once there’s highly likely something wrong with your technique

1 Like

I’ve got almost three full minutes of fail footage all from numerous different days and different yoyos. I plan on making a trial to success video with an old epic metal song when and if I ever get it consistent lol. It’s been in the works for months

4 Likes

I found your piece of advice most helpful for me. Holding my throw hand higher brought my consistency up from like 10% to 30-50%. For anyone struggling to hit it, make sure you try this!

4 Likes

Got it like once within 10 minutes of watching the tutorial. [insert victory dance]

I’d say one of the most important things to getting this trick is making sure you push your TH down a bit as the slack comes around to give it oomph as well as making sure the string comes off you NTH cleanly so the slack is aligned for the hook.

I’m going to have fun getting this trick down over the next few months :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

can you please link to the video tutorial? i can’t seem to find it, only one called beefhook gunshot.

2 Likes

that’s the one I watched

1 Like

scratch what I said, there’s a slight tension hook in this trick. Your NTH thumb which holds the string controls the tension, so getting the timing down to give the slack the oomph it needs is crucial. so uhhh, have a nice day :baguette_bread:

1 Like

That’s the correct one.

3 Likes