Master Of The Beef Hook (Easier Than You Think)

I think Beef Hook is one of the hardest tricks to consistently hit, atleast for me. That said I remember saying the same about Magic Drop and then Spirit Bomb. You make it look so easy in that video. Really smooth too!

2 Likes

Funny enough I think what you just said a lot. I will be having a hard time with a trick and think back to when magic drop was absolutely impossible and I wanted to throw my yo-yo across the room. Now it’s another Thursday

1 Like

I love beef hooks, I throw them in many different ways and from many different mount.
What I do is usually keep an eye at the “inside cup” of the yoyo, where the string loop inside, what I do is keep an eye where the string is going and work 100% of the time, string tension is important new string is not for me (I use the same string for a month or even more with couple of hours of playing a day).
Also what I always do is have the yoyo just a tiny bit up my finger during the loop this help a lot as well, also something important is to have everything as “one move”, if everything flow together nicely the hook is there 100%
Nice video Mr Cotton and congrats!

4 Likes

This thread is cute and it’s inspiring to see everyone come back after the op time with such progress. Congrats everyone! I still can’t get this more consistent than like 1/5…(better than 1/50!) it’s been at that same 1/5 hit rate for a while and I think it’s time to give this trick more love and blast out a ton of reps! At least it’s a super quick trick and I can get a ton of reps in really quick.

2 Likes

Tutorial dropping soon! Filming it in the next few days to help anyone that needs help still

7 Likes

Nice you should do it! Beefhook will be plaguing people for a long time to come still and if someone sees it and it’s your insight that gets them to land it, that seems worth it! Some tricks need a lot of perspectives before they click for people…like me hah

1 Like

Landing the Beef Hook is so satisfying. Learning it can be pure frustration.
It took me a while to figure out what I did wrong because every attempt has been a very close one. My personal mistake was that with my muscle memory I performed the Beef Hook like a regular whip. When I do whip tricks I usually do pull on the string a little bit to add a little speed to the whip which also helps to keep the loop open. When trying this method I came to realize that this minuscule pull makes the loop that tiny little bit to short to come all around my finger and the Yoyo. Performing the Beef Hook always felt so smooth but I just couldn’t land it (except for 2% of the time which made not landing it consistently even more frustrating). Now I know everything felt so smooth and right because my muscle memory did all the work…unfortunately in a wrong way.

1 Like

Been working on this one a lot and this observation rings super true to me too like I was doing the same thing…pulling w the thumb a bit too much and the timing would be off but I finally got it to click this week and I’m stoked! Still not at 5/5 but like 3/5 which is getting super close and I can feel it now just gotta be able to execute it a little better…also want to note that I wasted way way too many attempts trying this with poor tension and the loop would twist and slap the gap instead of catching it beautifully…it’s easy w this one to throw up a ton of attempts really quick and then forgot to check tension often enough

1 Like

Yoyoyoyoyo masters of the beef hook I have a question. I’m catching the Yoyo a lot like I’m getting the timing down but I keep hitting the same problem sometimes—I get a weird wrap in the string where it’s like a little mini gt and I can’t unroll clearn. I can’t tell if the string is like twisting somehow or if it’s whipping in too hard or what’s happening exactly…do y’all have any insight?

1 Like

I think is mostly like that the string is twisting on itself, it happen sometimes to me when the string tension is not great anymore.

Try to do it again with a proper neutral tension string King, you should get it correct 100%, have a look at the loop while it’s in the air but you should be fine!

1 Like

there isnt anything more to it. U only really need mrmatio’s beefhook tut to really understand how it works, rest is practice.

2 Likes

definitely sounds like a string tension problem, it happens to me from time to time