2.0 Hook Blues

I am stumped with the one.

I can hit Beefhook, 1.0,1.5, Brent stole, all consistently. But this one is just eluding me.

Does anyone have any tips to get that last “1.0ish” hook to whip around the NTH pointer? I just can’t seem to figure it out!

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

I’m right with you bro this one is hard… @CanniBal has a good tutorial that helped me understand it better but it’s unlisted and I can’t find it now. I work on this for like 5-10 mins most days and haven’t landed it yet but I do know that after 1.5 it is good to switch from a pure laceration to a slack carry method. The best way to understand the slack carry is to put the string over the top of both fingers (Like almost to 1.5) and then try to do your regular H hook. Then you have to put it all together like NTH finger scoops the inside like a brett stole then TH finger does the sameish and throws around the last hook. I don’t know like I said I haven’t landed it yet but no one is lacerating directly to the super high hooks.
Trying to get the last h hook with the string already over the fingers is a good step (I’ve been told by ppl much better than me) to figure out before trying to put 2.0 all together. For me, I can do the h hook with the string over both fingers now (this helps conceptualize what you want to happen) and I’m trying to land it all together but it’s freaking annoying bc it’s hard and you gotta adjust string tension all the time.

2 Likes

I think I get it. So the string doesn’t carry by the momentum you create at the start. You have to continue the momentum with your index fingers into the H hook?

Maybe I’m simplifying

1 Like

Theoretically yes and you ripple the slack around for that last hook but I’m hesitant to say with a certainty until I start landing these and hopefully some others chime in.

1 Like

You can break down the trick into parts. Can you whip into a H hook from with the wraps on both NTH and TH? I think that is a good place to start before trying to do it all at once. You are right that the initial whip is not enough you have to move both hands in a circle to help the slack continue to move around.

2 Likes

I will have to practice that!

1 Like

Honestly the big sticking factor for me when learning this trick was realizing that once the string makes contact with your NTH, you need to swing them both around to continue the slack’s motion around your hands, you can’t just rely on whipping the string hard enough. This is really evident if you watch some slow motions of even higher hooks, such as this 6.5 (lol…) hook:

Notice two factors:

1. how close he has to put his hands together to get enough slack for it to come around that many times (it took me a bit to realize I had my hands slightly too far apart, so the slack would never “come around”)

2. how both of his hands continue to whip the string around together each time

having a newer/fresher string can help too

2 Likes

Learn what i call a 1.75 hook, basically a 2.0 hook with only your non throw hand, it really helps you foucs on the motion of moving the non throw hand in the proper motion and once you get that you add in your throw hand and its super easy. Helped me learn horizontal 2.0s pretty easily! I can post a video if needed :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So you go for a regular h hook with the extra wrap? Unrolls an extra time into the regular h hook under mount trapeze correct? I stumbled into these and asked the forum about that trick and found out they’re called double hooks or iwasawa hooks Three wraps is triple hook or neo iwasawa hooks. If I’m picturing the right trick but I might not be.

1 Like

Great advice. Thank you!

That makes sense about continuing the motion of the string, I will have to keep that in mind.

2 Likes

Exactly, the foucs being on getting that extra wrap as its the main motion you will need to hit a 2.0 hook! It helped me majorly once i got these consistent :blush:

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

After about 8 straight hours of trying to hit it I just landed it for the first time.

Here’s to maybe two times tomorrow lol!

Thanks again!!

3 Likes

Humbly requesting the video on this, I can land a 2.0 hook decently consistently, but I have… no clue how you achieve this lol, I spent about 30 minutes attempting it with no success.

:tada: @Bobparty :tada:

2 Likes

this video will help you doing 1.0 hooks and beyond, comes with slow motion clips and illustrations so that you’ll understand the breakdowns easily in every hook tricks especially tower ones.

2 Likes

This is a really great video, thank you. Certainly shows well how to complete the trick!!!

2 Likes

Gotchu @fradiger haha ignore the terrible video but here’s what it looks like

2 Likes

Thank you! I’ll have to work on this sometime.

1 Like

Hey ig I m a little late but I looked up the link for the tut and here it is. I have lost access to the account it was uploaded on so yeah took some discord searching to get it.

3 Likes

Ooo thank you sorry about your account

1 Like

Awesome thanks!!!

1 Like