Trying new companies

Are PSG’s good for 3A? I might get a pair and start. . .

For the price, I can’t see how you’d go wrong.

I bought a pair of Shinwoo Techno 2’s for when I’m ready to get into 3A, but you just gave me an idea to get a pair(at least) of the PSG’s for the same reason. Being a little bit heavier, it might actually be a better option. For the money, I think it may be an ideal way to go. My solution only costs $20 before shipping, yours just just a bit under $32. Either way you look at it, it’s affordable way to get into 3A play. For less than the price of a Protostar and a little bit more than a CounterAttack, I can’t see how this go wrong.

But, again, 3A is well beyond me at this point in time. I have interest in learning to do some, but I’m gonna wait for my 1A skills to get better.

Is the Dietz a good OneDrop yoyo?

As has been said a bunch of times before and will be said again going forward: Good is a relative term based on preferences.

Now, if we’re just going on the basis of past reputation and quality of the build, then most definitely, the Dietz is a well constructed, solid and well balanced yoyo. I don’t think One Drop would release it if they didn’t think they came out with something really good.

The Dietz has the same issues common almost any signature yoyo. These are often designed with emphasis on the player they are designed for. Rather than being perhaps “more well balanced for a wider marketplace”, signature yoyos often incorporate specific features that are catered to help a specific player improve their game. Of course, a quality build is still a requirement for any good yoyo. So, when buying a “signature yoyo”, you have to be prepared for the reality that it may not be a good fit for you, or then again, it may very well be an ideal yoyo for you. At the same time, you can have similar issues with non-signature yoyos.

I’ve heard both positive and negative things about the Dietz. In general it seems pretty well received. I’m planning on getting one at some point. It’s not exactly the typical shape I prefer. It’s sort of reminds me of a Code 1 with rounded edges and more stepping in the middle area, kind of making a V shape. Plus, with the low cost of $90(I know, but bear with me), it’s really affordable for a yoyo using the side effects system. Different side effects can be purchased at reasonable prices, allowing you to either temporarily or permanently change the yoyo’s performance characteristics to best suit it to how you play or provide variations on a theme.

Now, if price is a concern, there is the Cafe Racer. I’m also planning to get this one. At $60, it’s by far the most affordable One Drop to date. The Cafe Racer does lack the Side Effects system, which helps reduce the price. It’s also been well received and has gotten amazing reviews. In some cases, people who are used to higher cost yoyos have been playing this one more and more. For the price, I can’t wait to get one.

At $85, the Burnside also lacks the side effects. This yoyo was designed to be a signature competition yoyo, but the guy it was designed for left One Drop and they decided to release it anyways. This yoyo has a large fan base and it seems like it is proabably THE yoyo to get from One Drop. This is another one I have plans to get as well.

In general, One Drop makes great stuff. If the yoyo works good for you, it’s a keeper, regardless of brand or model.

Thought it might interest you, but that would actually be the OD M1, the yoyo that essentially started the affordable metal craze. I believe they were also $60. I have one, they are excellent little yoyos.

The later M1s had the brass nut hub design, which to me just looks so good…

My extent of knowledge goes back to “whatever is currently on the YYE web site”.

But, on a more serious note, yes, that is a bit of information of interest. It would appear that OD intends to stick to their roots by trying to be able to bring an affordable metal while still providing high end stuff as well.

The Dietz is a good yoyo, but it’s very fast. When I play with it, it feels like it’s all business. It’s not one that I grab as I head out the door or when I’m just messing around. If I compare it to the CafeRacer, I would say that the Dietz feels more like it’s made for performance while the CafeRacer feels like it’s more made for fun. I hope that makes sense.

I hate the look of the tapered axle system, I want brass nuts!

Yeah, those brass nuts are super classy.