Trick OCD

(Waylon) #1

The other day my son and I were getting ready to leave the apartment. I was trying to land Around Europe on kendama. He stood there watching me for a minute before he said, “We aren’t leaving until you land it, are we?”. He was right. He knows me too well.

That’s awesome. :slight_smile:

I’m exactly the same way when it comes to bedtime… there’s no such thing as bedtime until I’m satisfied with the progress I’ve made on a trick.

Something like this happens to me a lot before i leave… I’ll be about to walk out the door but I’ll pick up a throw and start throwing for no reason… Till it feels right to put down. Usually happens when I’m in more of a rush…

The last thing I do everynight before I go to bed is turn the TV off then grab my “throw of the day” and do a quick combo… Then I put the yoyo away hit the light and call it a day… More often than not though I end up with an axle knot… HEHE I never get axle knots… Only then… Very weird!!!

I was like this when I was starting. Same with Mr. GregP, I will not go to bed until I land a trick (and also do it smoothly). Of course sometimes I can’t follow that rule because some tricks can’t be learned by one day.

When I’m out in a park or in my friends house, I won’t go home until I land the trick I’m practicing.
I remember I learned the inverse triangle laceration that way. :slight_smile:

I have this thing where I can’t go anywhere until I’ve landed something perfectly a certain number of times in a row, such as 5 Brent Stoles, or a run of two clean original combos. Then of course I’ll forget my self-promise and just end up yoyoing for another hour.

This is me with homework. I say, “I’ll start at 4:30.” Then when 4:30 comes I say “5 more minutes.”
“5 more minutes.”
“5 more minutes.”
I don’t start my homework till 5:30 at the least.

Actually I use my love for throwing as a way to prioritize my time. Por ejemplo, finish all AP History notes for the week, reward: an extra hour of throwing. Usually I just rush through all the homework I have for the week and just throw all day, it’s worth it.

(Waylon) #9

I’d kick a puppy for a solid hour of throwing. I get my fix in fifteen or twenty minute chunks. Some days, none at all. I did get a good half hour of kendama in today. I think I need to separate myself from technology a bit to focus more on physically engaging activities. I’d love to feel what’s it’s like to space out for an hour or more on a yoyo. Challenge accepted.

Absolutely terrible and yet I couldn’t help but to giggle. Good times.

Sounds like most of the yoyo meets I’ve attended. Nobody leaves until they’ve landed that one trick they’ve been working on all day.

Yuki

(major_seventh) #12

Exactly!