Trick/Combo w/ Every Throw

Nooo, I think you’re too hard on yourself. You clearly have the bascis and more down which means you can already do tons of tricks! Like Mike says, barrel rolls, mach 5 etc. Just do tricks that are fun for you. Don’t put pressure on yourself😄

2 Likes

Oh no guys I’m not gonna quit or stop or anything! I do just put a lot of pressure on myself with everything in life. I personally feel like I haven’t progressed or gotten to where I want to within the few months of picking up a yoyo again, so I’m just a little frustrated with myself in that regard. You guys are awesome, please continue to post your awesome stuff, I absolutely do not want anyone thinking they have to tone it down or simplify tricks for this thread or anything like that. It is still and always will be all about your collection and throwing stuff you don’t anymore etc. A better way of putting it, I personally will be putting more effort into my videos and tricks, thats all! I wanna be better and contribute in a way that’s satisfying to me.

4 Likes

Just don’t put too much effort in or you might kind of burn out like I am. For every clean(ish) trick I post, know that there were a lot more attempts that looked like this LOL. Could I have kept recording? Yeah, but continuing to record just to get a better take was kinda draining the fun out of it for me. I like doing tons of new tricks constantly instead of grinding to have clean execution on older tricks. Grinding for execution just isn’t what’s fun to me at the moment.

Here’s one of my oldest GTs using a Duncan Freehand One AL which was also one of my first few unresponsive yoyos. This is still my favorite organic yoyo in my collection. The side caps just make it so comfortable to hold in your hand, and I really like the sound/feel of it. Hollow yoyos hit different.

7 Likes

Totally get what you’re saying and that’s also why I liked the idea of posting at your own pace. Too time consuming and too much pressure to do a trick every day at least for me. If you wanna post 3 a day every day awesome, if you wanna post every other day or every week etc that’s absolutely fine as well

4 Likes

Same

3 Likes

Learned two tricks yesterday! One is a fun little GT the other is a little combo I’m working on getting down faster because it is technically a speed combo. I don’t speed and I don’t like trying so this is part of my challenging yourself and stepping out of the comfort zone thing. I’ll try and film both later :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Love black hops and always trying to get it smooth… this might be the second time I’ve landed it clean and the first on video!
Throwing the Beenie by Throwing Sideways… really fantastic feeling yoyo, Smooth as butter very comfortable, great throw.

8 Likes

For someone that isn’t too into different colored halves I really dig the green and purple look. I’m a huge Joker fan so it gives me those vibes haha

1 Like

I’ll take a half swap or loud año splash/ swirl whatever over a solid color yoyo any day.

3 Likes

Depends for me, usually I’m a solid color guy. But if it’s an acid wash or something OD or CLYW etc. where the artwork is just amazing I’ll usually try and get a splash or unique colorway. My favorite all-time is probably my Addiction 2 though, black and red is my jam and it being an acid wash on top of that is just flawless for my tastes.

2 Likes

I never get the last hop of black hops😂 cool combo

Here is my last prerecorded video. It’s with the Wave.

5 Likes

This is the most dangerous baby variation… you can’t let them fall…

Here’s a random thing I learned yesterday, my consistency with landing the final bit + doing that slack twirl smooth still needs a lot of practice. Using a CLYW Bonfire. It’s I think the best of their 2014 run of god-tier yoyos (WM2/Puffin2/Bonfire/AC2). Big diameter, not too wide, killer profile shape, perfect balance of rim and center weight, amazing marketing material to go alongside this release. I got rid of my Chief to acquire this Bonfire (I really wanted one in harrison hurricane).

8 Likes

Houdini speed combo by Takahiro Iizuka minus the speed. That man is cheatcode fast and I am not, but still a really fun little combo!

Yoyo used is a nickey Cafe Racer. Got this one for Christmas a long long time ago. My mom had no idea who One Drop or what nickel plating was, she just picked one she thought looked good. So it’s definitely a little sentimental and cool that it happened to end up being somewhat of a collectors throw, and from a company I came to know and love. It plays like a 10+ year old undersized yoyo. Best way to put it. No it’s not gonna hold it’s own with a Mini Star 2 or a Ditch or anything, but it is a fun little throw that will challenge and make you a better player due to having to be more precise and smooth and all that.

Oh I forgot to mention I learned this off a tutorial from “mrmatio” on YouTube. I forgot who mentioned their account to me but you’re the best because they have like over 30 left handed tutorials with high speed and that just makes everything 10x easier for me. Someone also mentioned using a mirror video site for all the right handed stuff and you’re awesome as well lol

10 Likes

Personally i prefer to watch your speed over GodSpeed. Well done!

4 Likes

Appreciate it Mike! I personally enjoy a slower, flowy, artsy style over speed too but I gotta say it looks really really good done fast. I wanna try and get it to maybe 60-70% of how fast he does it and I’d be content :joy:

2 Likes

I know everyone loves a Boingy Boingy so here’s a quicky before i start my day.

Throwing the Sistiene by Throwing sideways. It’s a painted special edition which is cool, but i hate that i don’t throw it because i don’t want to risk chipping the art! It’s a fantastic organic and sadly this is the 4th time I’ve thrown it…

9 Likes

Man I’d be the same way with that one lol, no way I’m throwing it too much and risking messing up the artwork. Awesome throw and awesome combo Mike!

1 Like

Random, but like Mable said this is our thread and our convos etc lol. I’ve got the itch for a new throw, something 30-70 bucks so fairly large range, I want your guys’ opinions and recommendations. What’s something fun or different out there right now? So far I’ve been interested in a 2016 run Barracuda for 30 bucks, thought that might be a really good deal. Those sweet looking Monarchs by Dressel Designs are gonna be on sale tomorrow, idk I like boutique and smaller companies (yes Duncan is not that lol) but I’m down with anything. Plus just so this comment is relatable to the topic, it would be another throw to add to the thread here and make another video lol

3 Likes

I’d rather have an OG Barracuda (US made, produced by OD) or a most recent (2022) run Barracuda than a 2016 version. OG has the spiked nipple, flat hub is the weird redesign that they already backpedaled on.

I don’t like most boutique designs so I can’t really comment on that, and don’t want to clutter this thread with a tangent on that. But this does speak to how my entire collection is exclusively stuff from the bigger brands.

If you want a Duncan I’d pick up one of the latest run Barracudas if you don’t want to BST your way into a true OG cuda, that yoyo is going to stay good forever. If you want something different I’d recommend branching out into Japanese designs. The YYR Helvetica and Futura are criminally underrated outside of Japan, TP St. Elmo is an eternal staple of a good yoyo, and the JT Mirage is one of my personal favorite monos. Japanese stuff gets kind of hyped up in a weird way where I think people kind of expect more out of them, they’re not some magical cheat code that’ll just play better than any other option. But they are extremely well designed yoyos, with a lot of care put into the design of how they actually play.

A simple trick today with a little repeater from when I was trying to throw more frontstyle. I almost never throw frontstyle and should really change that, frontstyle just seems so much more limiting to me. Using a CLYW Avalanche. The Avalanche doesn’t play very well by modern standards, it’s not very stable, it doesn’t spin for that long, the response needs to be recessed because the gap is so tiny, it feels super heavy on the string. With all that said though, I really like this yoyo :slight_smile: It’s just a nice size and shape, and yoyos that play worse are still fun. This is one of the yoyos I used to pick up constantly when I just wanted to relax and throw some simple tricks/repeaters. Not actually sure why this one resonates so much with me, it just does.

8 Likes

I did not know the OGs were made here and produced by OD, definitely just gonna try and find one of those someday instead of the ‘16 version then, thank you for the heads up on that! Yeah I’d really like to try something from JT for sure, I think that will be a new year, got some holiday money on me thing within the next couple months. I’m in desperate need of some variety in the collection lol

2 Likes