Trapeze Stall help

Trying to figure out the trapeze stall. I have viewed Ed’s video several times but not understanding it.I just end up in a trapeze.
Should I be intercepting the string after the yoyo starts on it’s way back from the breakaway, then move my throw hand toward my non throw hand?

1 Like

Yes, let the yoyo wind back up the string and intercept it with the NTH, forcing it into a trapeze.

The secret is throwing the initial breakaway with as little power as possible while still getting the yoyo to respond with a slight tug as it reaches the end of the breakaway arc. You don’t want to throw the breakaway like you are doing a 1A trapeze mount. You need to back way off the speed/power of the throw. Like, a lot.

5 Likes

I can’t even begin to tell you how long it took me to figure this out. For stalls you definitely do not want to throw like you do for a long 1A combo, just a nice soft throw. To me, fixed axle is much more about finesse. Once you get comfortable with the soft throw you can work into stalls from regens and faster spinning yoyos, but, when I’m just playing around with stalls, soft throws are the order of the day.

4 Likes

Thanks, It’s a change of thinking for me.

1 Like

0a / Fixed Axle is about finesse.
And I am very glad to see players seeing the value of this style of play.
When I first joined the form years ago many players didn’t see the value of “old” yoyoys. Many payers back then would probably turn 9 shades of green with the mention of a wooden or fixed axle yoyo.
I was also very stubborn in my thinking of unresponsive play. I use to think an unresponsive yoyyo wasn’t a yoyo and should have been named something else.
I have since accepted that it is just another style of play.
It also helps that 0a is accepted as a legitimate style of play, and not just a minority group of people trying to live in the past. Like old warriors talking about old battle scars.
It is refreshing to see that to roots of yoyo play is recognized and is valued. And is also being expanded with new ideas for fun tricks.

2 Likes

After seeing the possibilities of 0a, some of my older yoyos feel relevant again. For a while I shunned them thinking that “they’re just beginner yoyos that I’ll let my nieces try when they come over” but picked some of them back up again after having learned some tricks…I even took the challenge of finding the cheapest possible bearing yoyo for 0a (which was a Butterfly XT at Target) to see if it was a worthy gateway yoyo for those wanting to get into the style. I actually ended up playing mine for several months.

1 Like