Top Secret Conspiracy theory

Awesome. I knew I wanted 100% cotton but the #10 was very good info. Thanks for that.

1 Like

Sure. Also, I lied to you, but it was an honest mistake, I got the crs. Anyways, yes, just below the graphics. My string is 60”.

2 Likes

It looks about the same thickness as the one I have and like, I count 18 wraps on that and mine wraps 15 times. Pretty significant difference. I’ll be trying that for sure. Now if you use your Saturno regularly, then all of your tricks will be xtreme!!

3 Likes

Well, I just started making string, like yesterday. I learned something I should have figured out years ago.
The first string I made was not wound tightly enough, and while it felt fine for just throwing a boomerang, the top was very sluggish on wire walker tricks. Another piece was a little too tight, and again, the top was not responsive for certain tricks.
Anyways I started trying the same trick (staircase to heaven) with the same top, that I have been working with the last couple days. The difference from the various strings I have was amazing.
I think this is the kind of thing that frustrates people about tops. Lots of tops come with cheap string, or the wrong length string. But if you are a tinkerer and have the patience to deal with all the quirks that tops have, it’s worth the hassle when you finally learn the tricks you are chasing.

4 Likes

I am a person who derives great satisfaction from tinkering and that’s part of what I’ve loved about yo-yos and tops as well is the tinker factor. Take my YYF Elec Trik. This had no effect on performance but the aesthetic effect was amazing. It’s the LED version which has a single blue LED. I bought some multicolored changing LEDs and just wired one right to the existing one.(obviously make sure they are aligned the same way) The effect is super nice.

4 Likes

Here’s your bind :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BTBZKolA5Mt/?igshid=Y2I2MzMwZWM3ZA==

3 Likes

Dude!!! Thank you for that. Just been trying this and it’s rather fun!!!

3 Likes

Ahahah sadly far away to be a satisfying bind to do after a combo or a trick, after this kind of bind you have to basically take it out the string again and restring properly to do a different combo.
@kevinm I honestly have anything against spin top, if you want I can even send you a video of me (one or two) videos that I have done years ago, I think also a tutorial for the throw, I like spin tops and I thought are fun, is just the little part that you have to restring every time that is “boring”.
When I used to play it I used to do combos that ends when my arms weren’t able anymore to keep up playing cause feeling tired, all just to do not restring them.
It’s a cool toy with very good possibilities but it is a shame that for example in a contest setting you see people coming on stage with 200 spin tops to change them after every combo, I know is the nature of the toy itself but I would love to see some improvement in that sense.

2 Likes

I can see your point if you are looking at tops as performance art. Even though I like tops, I get tired of watching people do endless regens on a stage, or, as you say having to go to 40 tops to do 40 tricks. The younger generation of top throwers has improved the current free styles quite a bit from 10 or 12 years ago though.
The enjoyment I get is from actually doing the tricks and hanging out with other folks that throw tops, on the rare occasions I can find them.

3 Likes

@kevinm seeing you speaking about tops and posting about them and similar want me to make me play my one a bit, I have it at home in Italy and in couple of weeks I will travel there, my only issue is that I do not have the string, do you know where we can find spin top strings? Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you in Europe now?

1 Like

Yes I live in London UK, Italy is my main land but I go there just for holidays to see parents and friends, I am not sure if I have the string there for the Giulia but it will be crazy old for sure

1 Like

There’s your bind.

I make strings. I am notoriously slow to make them. International shipping is expensive

6 Likes

Sooooo damn sick, that’s what I mean! Can you do it with every spin top?

1 Like

Just Wow. In a hundred years I might be able to pull off half of that!!:rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

No, right now Taka makes the only hybrid yo-yo / spin top that can do that, you can find it at spingear. Others have made spin top hubstacks but not quite the same. Several makers have made their own, you can search P213 for some history.

5 Likes

That thing plays amazing. With such an amazing looking flow to it.

1 Like

You could ask on ta0’s forum, there are European players that check it out.

2 Likes

I just now got to read this thread.
I think Albertino is not current with the state of the art. Here is a routine by Yahir from Mexico that got him 4th on the online contest last year (I chose it because it uses a regular size western top):

By the way, the entries for this year’s online contest will be available for viewing in 2 weeks.

7 Likes

Just WOW!!

2 Likes