Top Secret Conspiracy theory

So I checked my calendar and it’s that time of year to rant about spin top tutorials.
I have a theory about the lack of top-tuts, I think it has to do with the lack of interest … also the kind of folks that play spin tops. Most of the people I know that throw tops are way better than I am and do not need help. Other people that want to throw a top try it, then immediately give up because it’s a bit frustrating.
Folks that could be helped by some well made tutorials are probably a really small minority of the skill toy buying base, but I still would like to see some tutorials made. I think it could help introduce tops into the yo-yo crowd a bit more, even though I have been told yo-yo people are not top people. On the other hand I have been told yo-yos are for people who can’t spin tops. Who knows?
Anyways I know tops tricks are hard to describe because there is a lot to do with timing and string tension and such, but YYE has some super top spinners, and you sell tops, and who doesn’t like a thankless challenge?
Thanks in advance, btw.

13 Likes

The problem of tops (I was sponsored by Strumml8 years and years ago for a bit) is that you can’t “bind” them so it makes them quite boring, I gave up for that, if you don’t want to own 200 tops then you pass half or your training session basically only stringing them back, I can say that this is the first thing that doesn’t appeal people.
There are some cool tricks but not that many and yes you can create them but meh in general at the end of the day is just ok also as visual impact.
I think I have a old video of me somewhere using them, something I always wished was a “return system” of some sort because every trick seems also “not close”(this probably comes from my yoyo perspective), I see the same issue with the diablo (which is anyway super cool to use and watch).
I think spin top miss some mechanics to be something appreciated like yoyo but that’s also my perspective from someone that used to use it and stopped.

11 Likes

I am not sure what you would consider a bind in this context, but you can snap start and regenerate spin with a fixed tip top.
At any rate, I still want some decent tutorials.

5 Likes

this youtube channel has a lot of awesome tricks, i guess that is as close to tutorials as you can get for some of the lesser know tricks.

5 Likes

I think a lot of it has to do with culture. Looking for English based spin top content is like trying to find baseball tutorials in a country where no one knows what baseball is - you’re looking in the wrong place - go to where the spin tops are.

Koma’s and other iterations of spin tops have been engraved into the Asian culture through games since before America was even founded. In America, I feel like previous to Beyblade, there was hardly a spin top culture here, I’d argue Dice, Jax, Jump Rope or Marbles were bigger than spin tops ever were.

There’s only one channel I know of for English, and it’s Chris Neff’s channel that he doesn’t update much.

If I were you, I’d simply start searching Japanese content instead, there’s a lot to be discovered. This channel has a ton of tutorials that probably covers almost everything you could think of. There’s also a lot, A LOT of content on instagram.

Taka from Spingear also posts a good amount of Koma content.

8 Likes

You could always find the very rare yet very informative, how to be a player volume two.
Which is all about topps.
Good luck!
Ps video by Bride via Duncan.

7 Likes

Thank you, those are great resources. I have seen a lot of those and Taka has some really great vids on the Japanese tops. I met him at Worlds and he showed me how to wind and throw a koma.
The Mexican spin top companies have demonstrators like Duncan used to send out, and they have some very good tutorials.

I guess what I would like to see is some more tips and analysis of advanced tricks and regeneration techniques. Tops are such a different animal than yo-yos, it is hard to figure out certain elements of a trick simply by watching it. Lots of the success of certain moves is based on some pretty subtle things.

3 Likes

Yes, HTBAP is what started my whole problem with yo-yos and tops, and eventually juggling, what with the whole Duncan trifecta. At least I have yet to start collecting duck decoys, and hope never to.

4 Likes

I’ve been really enjoying tops. I’ve gotten very good at my throw, skyrocket, and holding/passing from hand to hand, finger spin. I do agree that some expert tutorials would be very nice. What I have done is looked at videos that; while not in English, still do a good job by focusing on and exaggerating the motions enough to help me get it. Trompos Space has some good ones like this. They also show each one in slo-mo from different angles. And if you can read Italian then you have instructions too. I can’t though. I do concur that it’s probably a conspiracy to keep undesirables out of the community. :rofl:

6 Likes

Quack.
It’s the duck calls that i worry about.

2 Likes

One thing I will mention, if anyone has a specific question about a top or a problem with a trick, Ta0 and guys over at itopspin.com forum can help. There was never the trick data base I always wanted to see, but they know how to do all the tricks!

3 Likes

For the majority of spin top tricks, you simply imagine it’s a diabolo or offstring yoyo but with only one side and gyroscopic force. It’s like the “no tutorials for soloham”. There are plenty of tutorials for 2 diabolo tricks that can be translated onto yoyos.

2 Likes
3 Likes

Next up will be @kevinm with his video of this trick from an additional 7 angles…
That is a really cool trick. Firstly, I have yet to achieve the Boomerang but use skyrocket to get the top to my hand. This of course causes some deceleration. But I’m still working on consistent wire walker. So far the more I have to concentrate on untangling or setting up the string, like in this trick, the faster I lose control of keeping the top straightened. Practice, practice, practice!!!

1 Like

Don’t hold your breath on the video.
String control is hard to manage, when you start doing regen stuff you have to grab the string with your non throw hand, so you have to get it in a place it is easy to get. I am not very good at regens, but it did get me in a habit of following through from the initial throw to keep the string going all the way out to my right side, so it falls straight and hopefully doesn’t tangle. That way you can do what you need to do with it.

2 Likes

This is a pretty good view and explanation of boomerang, it starts around minute 5. If you keep on the same track with the pull back that you used on the throw, you will get it real quick, it’s just a matter of how hard, or fast, you pull back. Each top requires a different amount of effort, depending on how heavy it is.

3 Likes

Thanks for that. It’s just a matter of getting outside to practice for me. I have my string shorter than most. I tuned it to my throw instead of tuning my throw to a proper length string. I don’t have any strings that are longer that are as thick as I’m comfortable with. With the short string I have I can get it to come back at me, but laying on its side. I tried with a string about 4” longer and got it to come back on more of an angle. So I plan to make some string so I have the thickness I like along with more length that’s documented as being necessary for most tricks. I’m talking I have my string at about 4 feet. And I think most recommend 61-66” of string. I know I’ve seen those numbers as recommendations somewhere. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it seems like having that proper length of string would bring that top on upright in the boomerang. It’s just been too hot for me to get outside. A host of health stuff makes me allergic to heat. :rofl:
And if try the boomerang indoors I’ll break a great many things that my wife won’t much like me breaking.

2 Likes

Which top are you throwing?
This is from Neff’s tips pinned to the start of the spin top section,
String length
The “correct” string length is not based on the size of the person throwing it, it is based on the size and weight distribution of the top and the thickness of the string being used. Sometimes manufacturers supply string that is too long or too short making it difficult for a beginner to… begin.

IMO, most tops fit in one of the two minimum sizes listed below.

60" regular string:
Duncan Imperial
Spintastics Sidewinder / Gladiator / Blizzard
Yo Yo Jam Bulldog / Top Dog
Yo Yo Factory Acrobat
Strummol8 STB 2.0

64" regular string:
Duncan Bearing King / Rip Cord

64" thicker string:
Spintastics Trompo Ggrande / Trompo Bearing
Strummol8 Giulia
Strummol8 Titi / Sophia

(The Duncan tops are notorious for having too short a string. I am adding that.)

2 Likes

For right now I’m using a Saturno xtreme. Really just because it’s xtreme and I know that makes it better… really it’s the one that I don’t mind slinging through the air until I get the hang of it, or I destroy it. Looks like around 60” will be what I need. I knew I saw that somewhere and that’s just it.

1 Like

Well, I don’t have one of those, but probably the string should go up to just below where the graphics end. There is usually a visual clue on these tops with graphics.
To your point, yes, the string length (and thickness) are going to determine how much over or under the top rotates. The right length string will bring it back tip down. If you get the length right, make a note of how high up the wrap goes on the top body. If you change to thicker or thinner string, it should still go to the same place, so the lengths would all be different with diff diameter string. If you are making your own, most people use 100% cotton #10 crochet thread.

2 Likes